IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

Played this for half an hour or so this afternoon. Have loads of stuff going on, so I wasn't going to for a good week or more. Couldn't resist, though.

So far, it's FH4 on a new map. Which is about as far from being a bad thing as you can get, in my book. 

Got my loyalty cars, which seems to be all the road cars I need. I suspect money will become superfluous fairly soon, as it did in 4.

What I definitely like the look of it the car collection screen. Since the days of Gran Turismo 3, I've wondered why all these types of games don't have this feature. 

Looking forward to giving this a proper go soon. 

If you're like me and completely clueless when it comes to car upgrading and tuning, don't know your clutch from your camber but would like to delve into that aspect rather than just downloading a popular tune and hoping for the best, then these videos are by far the best I've found at explaining the process. Really clearly explained and aimed at novices, I've found them immensely helpful.

Upgrading:

Spoiler

Tuning:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Dimahoo said:

Those who hate the horns and shit in spins can easily spam any drift car, master it to to 7x combo (with some added master points for combo shit)

You need to earn about 55k points at x7 for 2 superspins (or 10 car master points which is the max).

Only takes 3 minutes or so if you put points on your drift car. But don't crash!

Then buy the Toyota GR Supra for 55k. Its car master table requires only 5 car master points for a superspin (so 3 surprises). 

Then buy another and away you go.

Don't listen to his lies.

image.thumb.png.2d9d69acef20ba466250b331bb34aea0.png

On 05/11/2021 at 21:55, davejm said:

Darn it, I can't complete either the barn find or photo mission near the start as the game crashes (PC version) whichever I choose to do.  Balls :(

Did you manage to get past this, as I've got exactly the same issue. The barn find crashes when the doors open and the photo mission dies during the 'yeah, well done' outro at the end. :(

EDIT: May have fixed it - simply unplugged my Fanatec wheel (which I wasn't even using)

10 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Getting lots of sound stutters on Series X - anyone else?

I'm not getting sound stutters, but I've now twice returned to the game after shutting the series X down and have had no sound in game at all. Have to quit the game and restart to get it. It wasn't a quick resume, it was the game I was playing when I shut down (i.e. I didn't get the flash card and the quick resume message). It worked fine from quick resume the one time I tried it (although I didn't shut the machine down in between).

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I'm not getting sound stutters, but I've now twice returned to the game after shutting the series X down and have had no sound in game at all. Have to quit the game and restart to get it. It wasn't a quick resume, it was the game I was playing when I shut down (i.e. I didn't get the flash card and the quick resume message). It worked fine from quick resume the one time I tried it (although I didn't shut the machine down in between).

FH4 used to do this regularly on the XB1 for me.

I have had a good go on this via Gamepass. Yes it looks nice, and plays nice, but i think I am done with this series now. They are great games (I have played every one up to now) but this is just too similar to the past ones for me. I think if I had skipped FH4, it would be a different story though. I really do not know what elese they can do now anyway, maybe race Fieros in space?

Performance wise It runs really well on my PC as I am blessed with a 3080. I have to say, yes the graphics are nice and it is smooth, but it does not have the wow factor for me. I always thought Forza looked nice, but the GT games always seemed to have the edge in the graphics department in terms of making everything (well bar some of the cars) look almost real in terms of lighting etc.

18 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I have had a good go on this via Gamepass. Yes it looks nice, and plays nice, but i think I am done with this series now. They are great games (I have played every one up to now) but this is just too similar to the past ones for me. I think if I had skipped FH4, it would be a different story though. I really do not know what elese they can do now anyway, maybe race Fieros in space?

Arguably you could say the same about any long running series these days. FPS games, sports games etc. 

Although on the face of it yes it does feel familiar which is to be expected the more you play the races feel more intense than those on the last iteration. There is much more diversity of terrains on this. Almost feels as if you are playing four driving games in one.

Felt the same apathy towards the series when I started on this. However it's a great game and we aren't exactly rolling in quality arcade racers at the moment! 

14 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Performance wise It runs really well on my PC as I am blessed with a 3080. I have to say, yes the graphics are nice and it is smooth, but it does not have the wow factor for me. I always thought Forza looked nice, but the GT games always seemed to have the edge in the graphics department in terms of making everything (well bar some of the cars) look almost real in terms of lighting etc.

FH is completely open world, GT only has to handle a small self contained environment.

Plus FH is fun to play unlike the tedium that is the GT series, they should probably concentrate on that rather than some inconsequential detail that nobody will ever notice. :hat:  

1 minute ago, layten said:

FH is completely open world, GT only has to handle a small self contained environment.

Plus FH is fun to play unlike the tedium that is the GT series, they should probably concentrate on that rather than some inconsequential detail that nobody will ever notice. :hat:  

Indeed completely different propositions. Not sure why the comparisons between this and GT keep coming up. The only thing they have in common is they have cars in then! :)

I think personally it's the fact that Sony clearly see no value in making a decent arcade racer for the PS5 and GT is the only car game they are interested in investing in. So kudos to MS for supporting the genre I enjoy. Even though they haven't made another PGR :D

The game is brilliant fun, but I'm very nearly at a point where I don't want to play anymore because of all the fucking cheerleading going on. It's possibly the worst thing I've experienced in a game ever in terms of how bad it is. 

If it is an in-joke of some type, then it's appallingly misjudged. I've even resorted to switching off the fucking radio because of the inane commentary going on. 

It's SO FUCKING BAD.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I dunno about this. There's something about it that feels inauthentic and contrived. It keeps telling me how great I am and that we're having an amazing time, but I don't think I am. You know that feeling of forced jollity on new year's eve and everyone convinced it's the best night ever but you're dying a bit inside - like that. There's something weirdly soulless about it all. The corporate office party of videogames.

And coming straight off an almost 100% completion of Burnout Revenge, the driving just ain't all that. The lack of proper crashes and impact are a massive downer, but the driving itself is kind of boring. Sort of boaty and floaty. I don't feel that much connection with the road surfaces at all.

Hmmm.

Get what you mean... Think it's all the bro-dude stuff in it and the fact they are trying overly hard to make the festival thing a party type atmosphere. It grated with me first time I played the original Horizon when I came of the back of PGR4* 

Some of the races in this are breathtaking especially the off road events with jumps etc these feel great then you get the road races around towns that have a very PGR type vibe to them. It is what it is I guess.

* OK I will shut up about PGR4 now promise. Just the bar I hold all other arcade racers too as it was near perfection for me as to what I want from an arcade racer.  

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

The game is brilliant fun, but I'm very nearly at a point where I don't want to play anymore because of all the fucking cheerleading going on. It's possibly the worst thing I've experienced in a game ever in terms of how bad it is. 

If it is an in-joke of some type, then it's appallingly misjudged. I've even resorted to switching off the fucking radio because of the inane commentary going on. 

It's SO FUCKING BAD.

Know what you mean. I fear there will come a point where the racing can't make up for the lifestyle bollocks and that's when it gets uninstalled.

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not sure why the comparisons between this and GT keep coming up

Isn't GT's natural comparison Forza Motorsport? I haven't played GT, but it sounded more about the racing.

I have to say, my kids probably lap up the lifestyle stuff so this may be an age thing. Put the classical radio station on. I just spent a load of money on a nice looking suit for my avatar so that I wouldn't feel so bro dude. We should probably blame the Solar Crown nonsense in TDU.

5 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Know what you mean. I fear there will come a point where the racing can't make up for the lifestyle bollocks and that's when it gets uninstalled.

thing is after a while the lifestyle stuff just fades into the background to the point you don’t notice it. You’re only hitting it massively at the beginning because you’re in the tutorial.

as for racing: it’s either playing online, or very carefully calibrating the difficulty for yourself that will make it. There are also a fair number of different weather conditions we’re just not seeing during hot season, that you can unlock and mess about with in eventlab (which could be amazing, once people with time and the choice use that time, get hold of it).