Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

44 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

What's the cross-gen situation with this?  Are Series X and Bone versions completely different games, as was the case with FH2?  Or is it a game where the same disk works on both consoles?  Or something else?

Same disk, both consoles, same underlying game.

1 hour ago, Death Adder said:

What's the cross-gen situation with this?  Are Series X and Bone versions completely different games, as was the case with FH2?  Or is it a game where the same disk works on both consoles?  Or something else?

There's a really good article here. The short version is that it's the exact same engine but it scales accordingly depending on the system.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-how-forza-horizon-5-scales-across-the-generations

First of all, we can rule out the approach taken to supporting last-gen systems as seen in Forza Horizon 2, which launched on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 in September 2014. The approach there was to farm out development of the last-gen version to an external developer (in that case, Sumo Digital) who essentially based its pared back rendition of the game on the existing Xbox 360 engine used for the original Horizon. In the case of FH5, Playground has built on the scalability required to get its games running on low-spec PCs in order to facilitate Xbox One and One X versions.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

There's a really good article here. The short version is that it's the exact same engine but it scales accordingly depending on the system.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-how-forza-horizon-5-scales-across-the-generations

Awesome. While I was saying this might be the case, every word I wrote I doubted myself because it would be difficult. 

I'm so excited for this, I went ahead and pre-ordered the Season Pass thing last night for £35 (and will get the main game via Gamepass). It unlocks 4 days earlier with the season pass, for those super eager to jump in. More importantly - future DLC's are included, and if H3 and H4 are anything to go by, I'm expecting a good time. For some reason, I just find Forza (and DiRT for that matter), super chill to play. Just a nice thing to jump into after work, maybe stick a podcast on if I'm bored of the in-game music. Well hyped for November.

5 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Awesome. While I was saying this might be the case, every word I wrote I doubted myself because it would be difficult. 

Not especially, Horizon always borrows its basic physics from Motorsport and the last one of those is still an Xbox One game.

so really this is a pretty Xbox One game before you start.

Not a problem for Horizon but if Motorsport tries to be cross gen I'm going nowhere near it.

Yeah. With only teasers shown thus far, no show at this last E3, and now a bunch of games marked as X|S, PC, and cloud only, FM(8?) is surely a Series exclusive. Plus all the stuff they've mentioned about its physics engine.

My feeling about FM8 is the same as GT7, if it's the same game on both it will only be achievable by massively restricting the ambition of the title as a whole.  If you want to be bored by the whole debate it's in the GT thread :)

But FH5 is fundamentally tarted up last gen from the start (and there's no big problem with that given it's aims) so it's not a huge issue.

"Forza Horizon 5’s low system requirements mean it should run on most gaming PCs | PCGamesN" https://www.pcgamesn.com/forza-horizon-5/system-requirements?amp

Looks like it only needs a fairly modest PC to run in a similar way to FH4 did on the PC. Which means it'll run fine on my PC. Couldn't really see much difference between FH4 on the Series X and my PC other that former ran at 4K at a stable framerate. Looking forward to having a play.

On 16/06/2021 at 09:43, Dudley said:

It seems like small things, but this means there are going to be people who can play themselves in a game for possibly the first time ever. And that's huge.

this is absolutely fantastic - and no complaints.

But by far my most hated part  of forza is the fake, engagement lead avatars which are birthed by some horrendous market research and clog up the awful loot boxes with garbage clothes, dancing around like lunatics to year out of date TikTok trends. 

Pull all of that from the game, and Chuck it in the sea. 

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

"Forza Horizon 5’s low system requirements mean it should run on most gaming PCs | PCGamesN" https://www.pcgamesn.com/forza-horizon-5/system-requirements?amp

Looks like it only needs a fairly modest PC to run in a similar way to FH4 did on the PC. Which means it'll run fine on my PC. Couldn't really see much difference between FH4 on the Series X and my PC other that former ran at 4K at a stable framerate. Looking forward to having a play.

Well it has to run on a console with a PC CPU from 2008 so that's not surprising.  Other than some ray tracing seletaped to the side this will be the FH4 engine, it's largely why it'll come out without an FM game since the last one, that's where the tech is.

This is of course the point about why GT7/FM8 should not be cross play.

34 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Pull all of that from the game, and Chuck it in the sea. 

Literally my favourite part of the game.

It's partly that, like a heck of a lot of FH4 especially, it's borrowed from (an often superior) version of the same thing in Test Drive Unlimited.

TDU didn't have the dancing but the avatar and clothing stuff was there, but you had to find and drive to the shops to buy it.

Forza has the map but they've never really cared about discovery in the same way.  TDU if you wanted a Ferrari you had to find the Ferrari dealer, I fucking loved that.

48 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well it has to run on a console with a PC CPU from 2008 so that's not surprising.  Other than some ray tracing seletaped to the side this will be the FH4 engine, it's largely why it'll come out without an FM game since the last one, that's where the tech is.

I guess so. And weak 2008 processor too (IIRC weren't the Jaguar cores based on a souped up mobile chip not a full fat PC x86 core?). The new consoles have full fat x86 cores as far as I understand it so I'll probably need to give me PC a boost at some point with an 8 or 12 core Ryzen/Intel unit and a bit more memory and of course a beefier GPU. But looks like there is no rush yet... and with the Series S being around probably not for a while so long as I'm happy at 1080/1440p res. Which to be honest I am. Not sure about ray tracing - lots of arguments to say that the current Series/PS5 consoles aren't powerful enough to do it properly anyway. We'll see I guess.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

I . Not sure about ray tracing - lots of arguments to say that the current Series/PS5 consoles aren't powerful enough to do it properly anyway. We'll see I guess.

Have a look at the new ports of Metro Exodus. 

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Forza has the map but they've never really cared about discovery in the same way.  TDU if you wanted a Ferrari you had to find the Ferrari dealer, I fucking loved that.

I hope we get that back in the new TD. Buying cars was so much more personal. I enjoyed my TD garage, in FH it's just a bit of busy work and I tend to stick to my favorites anyway.

But I do wish the NPC nonsense could be skipped, it's not my cup of tea.

Do Forza Horizon games tend to change much aside from locale between sequels? FH4 was my introduction to the series and I'd love to see a little more TDU spirit in the next one, but I get the impression they don't change much.

• 3 weeks later...