IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

I'm enjoying this quite a bit now, but you do have to take the time to tailor the experience to yourself a lot, but thankfully the game is so customisable, that's not too hard to do.

At the moment, I'm playing like this:

- I'm ignoring the seasonal/online events as they simply just don't work for me: I tried three times this evening to join a team so I could take place in one of the seasonal events, choosing to match make, but each time it just didn't seem to do anything, even once the event timer had run out.

- I'm focusing mostly on the races and ignoring things like the speed traps or similar; the racing is where it's at.

- I've gone for the 'Hard' difficulty with the drivatars set to 'Highly Skilled', ABS on, driving line on braking only, Rewind on and all other assists off. At the moment, this seems to provide the best balance of enjoyment and challenge.

- I try to use a different car for most races, just to keep things fresh.

- I spend most races in bonnet view as I like the sense of speed.

- I'm playing with Spotify on in the background, listening to podcasts or my Discover Weekly over the engine noises with the radio off; I don't really like much of the music, and the DJs are irritating, as it most of the voice acting in the game.

This is working for me so far, anyway. Did the Goliath race earlier in just over 15 minutes. That was great fun. I'm enjoying ticking off the big events, the ones on the ticket stubs that you have to unlock. It gives a finite goal to work towards as opposed to just aimlessly driving around the endless map icons.

This is such a good game but it's absolutely broken as fuck online for me, I can barely finish a race as it thinks I've missed checkpoints or crashes me to the Xbox dash etc whenever I try online with randoms or a friend.

Also I wish they would add a forced perspective option, 3rd person is rubbish, you can see miles ahead and it just feels too cheaty and not like well driving (yes, I appreciate its a fairly arcadey game to begin with), I'd love it if you could set up races with fixed view options.

5 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

This is such a good game but it's absolutely broken as fuck online for me, I can barely finish a race as it thinks I've missed checkpoints or crashes me to the Xbox dash etc whenever I try online with randoms or a friend.

Also I wish they would add a forced perspective option, 3rd person is rubbish, you can see miles ahead and it just feels too cheaty and not like well driving (yes, I appreciate its a fairly arcadey game to begin with), I'd love it if you could set up races with fixed view options.

online between Xbox series s and PC was ok last night for me.

custom events can lock the camera to one option or another - look in eventlab - though it’s probably more of a faff than you’d like.

The single.player race results screen is so broken. I think everyone behind you is considered to have finished their final lap when you cross the finish line. So you can beat them by seconds overall but they have a fastest lap seconds faster than you and getting faster as you go down the order 🤣

3d2cf6dd-973e-4653-a754-b6d1a34d6407.thumb.png.d4d1b1ce5b115d17a6b117ae347d04d1.png

3461903a-1223-43d8-bf9b-aba56d0d8fd8.thumb.png.38ea48212e239eff8a9e4d6b702e768f.png

Why are the “highly skilled drivatars” in the seasonal races significantly faster than me on straights and off the grid, even when it’s the same car I’m in? Every time they hit a straight they gain another few seconds on me. Wtf? Even on mud or through water they seem to have Mario Kart boosts and an extra gear I haven’t got. I usually take the corners at least as well as they do and overtake a few, only for them to all power past and gain a couple of seconds on each straight until they’re miles away. 

Given that the Seasons thing was running very reliably at least two years ago in FH4, it's surprising how broken they are in this.  To be fair, Playground are very quick at finding and patching this stuff but "basic" bugs like not recognising the right class of car for a Danger Sign is very unusual coming from them as even at launch FH games have been pretty rock solid.

42 minutes ago, Moz said:

Why are the “highly skilled drivatars” in the seasonal races significantly faster than me on straights and off the grid, even when it’s the same car I’m in? Every time they hit a straight they gain another few seconds on me. Wtf? Even on mud or through water they seem to have Mario Kart boosts and an extra gear I haven’t got. I usually take the corners at least as well as they do and overtake a few, only for them to all power past and gain a couple of seconds on each straight until they’re miles away. 

This was my big issue with FH4, for some reason I haven't had it hear. In the last one I couldn't win anything as every other car hooned off immediately and was often miles ahead.

Anyone else getting a bug where the Nissan GT-R #Forzathon progress resets inbetween sessions? Happened to me twice now. I don’t mind doing it all in one sesh once I’ve unlocked the danger signs but just wondering if there was a way around it. 

I think the game suffers from its history a little. People know Horizon as this game with a huge world to explore, massive (overwhelming) number of events and a constant set of online content and challenges.

So instead of being able to rebuild or think about new things we basically get the same game in a new setting. That's not a bad thing but it makes the bugginess and oddities inexcusable.

I also continue to think the size of all UI and notification text is a travesty and something a first party titl from MS should do much better. On my bedroom setup (32" beyond the end of a double bed) much if the game is completely unreadable. I know enough icons and where things are but that's not good enough. There is no excuse for it not being at least configurable.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Anyone else getting a bug where the Nissan GT-R #Forzathon progress resets inbetween sessions? Happened to me twice now. I don’t mind doing it all in one sesh once I’ve unlocked the danger signs but just wondering if there was a way around it. 

Yes, I had that. It reset the 'drive 13 miles' challenge overnight.

59 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I think the game suffers from its history a little. People know Horizon as this game with a huge world to explore, massive (overwhelming) number of events and a constant set of online content and challenges.

So instead of being able to rebuild or think about new things we basically get the same game in a new setting. That's not a bad thing but it makes the bugginess and oddities inexcusable.

I also continue to think the size of all UI and notification text is a travesty and something a first party titl from MS should do much better. On my bedroom setup (32" beyond the end of a double bed) much if the game is completely unreadable. I know enough icons and where things are but that's not good enough. There is no excuse for it not being at least configurable.

There is an option in accessibility to increase text size. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I haven’t had that problem but despite the drift count being 2/2 for the final challenge it didn’t show as complete for me until I got a third.

After careful consideration I think the best music in the game is from the title screen.

I was playing my first online arcade game, got to the end of the first section and then had to drive to the next zone to continue it.

As I’d levelled up by participating in this first stage, it triggered the festival map to pop up to choose the next section to unlock.

I couldn’t skip this, by the time the game finished chatting to me and I could finally select the next festival site, the game announces to me that I’d missed the deadline to continue the multiplayer game. Great, thanks a lot! How did no-one think about this???

How do I change the tyres? I know in tuning you can set pressure but where is compound and stuff? The UI is a mess and nothing is explained, I've seen screens on youtube videos I can;t work out how to get it's crazy, please help!

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

You need to access tuning but via one of the Forza Festival sites IIRC.

Thanks but I can't even work out how to install the components that allow me to tune, I can't see any window and no guides help either?

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That is definitely explained in game.

Maybe so, but if there is a tuning menu I can access from anywhere why not mention there that I have to go home to install the parts which it definitely does not do. As for not allowing you to tweak a downloaded tune, that's bloody stupid too.

40 minutes ago, Minion said:

Maybe so, but if there is a tuning menu I can access from anywhere why not mention there that I have to go home to install the parts which it definitely does not do. As for not allowing you to tweak a downloaded tune, that's bloody stupid too.

tuning and upgrading are different things (like buying a car is), but I may choose to give you that one.

However, can you think of a good reason why not being able to tweak a downloaded tune is a specific design decision in a game with an emphasis on creator owned “content” and kudos?

2 minutes ago, footle said:

tuning and upgrading are different things (like buying a car is), but I may choose to give you that one.

However, can you think of a good reason why not being able to tweak a downloaded tune is a specific design decision in a game with an emphasis on creator owned “content” and kudos?

I see your point which would make sense if they actually cost anything, or you could maybe test drive a tune to differentiate between them, but you can't so it's more of a random pick that one that meets a class requirement and it only seems to offer you a select number of tunes from the browser, surely there's more available then they show? It annoyed me in 4 and it's annoying me in this so instead I'm going to try my best to ignore it and play with stock cars. It's good that it's there for people who understand and enjoy tweaking all those settings, I'm just trying to balance the game for myself which is where the annoyance comes in. Hopefully I'll have the patience and time with this game to actually do it decently myself but it's more likely I'll get bored and drop the game before that happens.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

Doh, I’m an idiot then

All the extensive accessibility stuff is available from X, on the loading screen too. I think it's possible to miss this as we're all quick resuming so much.

I unlocked the Windows 95 shutdown tune as a horn last night. Shame you have to hold down the horn (R3, nrgh) for the entire duration to get it to play, but it's absolutely amazing. I strongly suspect, given all the bro shit dialed to 11, a lot of people won't know what the hell it is.