Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

40 minutes ago, footle said:

Or FM7.

I suppose you could start the game with two options - do you want to do what you want or be locked into a GT lite structure, starting with some driving tests modelled on the start of Driver.

Does Motorsport have similar kinds of races across different terrain? I thought it was more tarmac/track based, but I’ll give it a go if they mix things up a bit.

57 minutes ago, footle said:

Or FM7.

I suppose you could start the game with two options - do you want to do what you want or be locked into a GT lite structure, starting with some driving tests modelled on the start of Driver.

I think PCars 3 is one of the best examples, work through the race series serially or jump ahead to the odd different series that open up or use in game currency to unlock any event/series you want. Only real dependency is that you have enough in game currency to buy required cars to meet requirements.

As progression is tied to levels within a discipline, it's a lot more accessible. I think that's what they were going on, on top of the usual difficulty selection. 

Highly recommend Horizon Chase if you want to be compelled to come first :) 

11 hours ago, Waggo said:

Are you guys aware that you can filter the map?  Turn all the filters off and the map is blank.  Turn all off except Road Races for example & it only shows you the Road Races.  Helps massively to declutter things.

The trouble is it decides it knows better than you and resets those filters at the slightest provocation.

6 hours ago, JPL said:

Does Motorsport have similar kinds of races across different terrain? I thought it was more tarmac/track based, but I’ll give it a go if they mix things up a bit.

No, but not all games have to have the ancient rigorously lock/gate stuff, eke out half a second over three laps cycle. For example, let’s take the most popular racing game in the world:

mario kart 8 deluxe.

oniy has the higher speed classes and some cosmetics gated. Every track available from the off.

no one complains it’s not more like GT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2021 at 22:35, footle said:

No, but not all games have to have the ancient rigorously lock/gate stuff, eke out half a second over three laps cycle. For example, let’s take the most popular racing game in the world:

mario kart 8 deluxe.

oniy has the higher speed classes and some cosmetics gated. Every track available from the off.

no one complains it’s not more like GT.

The Wii U version was better in my opinion for restricting what was open at the start. Actually gave you a reason to play single player.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TehStu said:

My son is already counting down the days to this. It just looks absurd in those shots for a game which has one foot in the previous gen. Every new imagine makes me squeal a bit for what FM(8) will be like.

I genuinely believe FM8 will be the best thing we’ve ever seen. Everything about MS current trajectory points to it. Polyphony have been off the boil for a while and Turn10 have been in utter radio silence. Fingers crossed. FM7 was/is amazing. Like you said just look at FH5 and it is still toe-dipping last gen imagine what they can do if they take that legacy support away.

38 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Eh, GT Sport is brilliant?

It’s surprisingly proficient for a Sony flagpole title given the online focus. I’m just saying I reckon FM8 is going to be absolutely best in class when it launches. It’s about resources and MS are almost limitless and willing to throw it towards these titles. Delaying Halo by a year for example must’ve cost an absolute bomb especially considering the launch model of free MP and GamePass Campaign. Forza 7 was a long time ago.

Do we have any indication as to whether there will be separate Bone and Series versions, a la FH2? Or is it going to be the same version, just enhanced for latest gen?

I was going to buy an S and then just play the vanilla version of this, but I'm thinking I might hold off and spend some reward points on the DLC bundle instead...

27 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm finding I'm less bothered about the FM games as time goes on. Series pretty much peaked with FM4 for me.

They’ve gone back to the drawing board with the new one apparently, so hopefully they’ll capture some of the magic from the earlier games in the series.

I’m hoping FH5 has had a similar overhaul as well, as 4 is such a confusing mess of menus these days.

32 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm finding I'm less bothered about the FM games as time goes on. Series pretty much peaked with FM4 for me.

Yep, as JPM says it desperately needs an overhaul.

And if it's gonna be you sim game get the shit like "Perk cards" the fuck out of there immediately.  Don't make Motorsport try to be Horizon.

Like, it's just fundamentally opposed to the concept of a sim.  and whether true or not, as soon as you see them you immediately assume they will basically become mandatory in later events to win races that, otherwise, should be at your difficulty level.