Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania!

mdn2

I had this too but it’s worked perfectly so far. 

Really enjoying what I’ve played so far. Playing it with my 8 year old and we’ve had a great time taking it in turns to do each level. I loved the original but it’s been so long since I played any Monkey Ball I don’t notice any big differences. Still as fun for me as it always was (and not even tried the mini games yet!)

8 hours ago, Ry said:

Went to play it for the first time and it hard crashed when selecting the first level. 

Not a good first impression. 

It wouldn't let me get past the title screen. Would simply crash out to the Xbox dash. Had to delete and re-download. 

On 04/10/2021 at 17:28, LaveDisco said:

The game is certainly harder without the 8 direction gated analogue stick of the GameCube controller. It’s a very fair comment for him to make. Not being able to push directly forward can make or break many a run. But in their defence, that’s been a problem since deluxe, apart from releasing a novelty controller there’s nothing they can do. The main game still shines despite that. 

I really struggled with a few of the SMB1 levels that I used to fly-through on the GC - had to give up on Choice and just take the easy route - where previously I used to get the end tightrope fairly consistently.

I think the game is basically fine, but it sits in a weird half-way house where it’s neither a modern title nor a faithful recreation of the original games. They should have been more upfront about it not being a faithful remake and the game should have instead focused on being a “reimagining”, akin to Sonic Mania, instead - include a mix of classic levels, remixed levels (inc making changes to improve how some play with the new physics), new levels, and a selection of old and new minigames. It would have been a better overall game for it and wouldn’t have suffered from the same comparisons with the originals that an unfaithful remake does.

Well at least this has inspired me to get SMB : Banana Blitz out on the Wii and have a go on that... :) Might go full out and find a GC controller and the original GC game at some point as I forget that the Wii is BC compat at times... 

Never quite get the feel with this as to whether my inputs are tilting the level (as claimed) or actually moving the ball.

It’s hard to describe feel in controls but this never feels to me like I’m tilting a marble on a course, which is true of all the games in the series I’ve played, not just this one.

I wonder if they will ever patch Monkey Target to address all the concerns or if the dev team has moved on.

I'm so amazed that no indie dev (that I'm aware of) has tried to copy the gameplay and given us loads of levels and variations, although given the job Sega has allegedly done this time around (I haven't bought the game yet), maybe Monkey Target has an unfathomable magic in terms of how it was programmed that can't be replicated. 

Not true! I remember back on the Edge forum some guy on there made a copy of sorts called 'Super Hamster Ball' and I was a beta tester for it. 2002/2003 I think. Those were the days.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Never quite get the feel with this as to whether my inputs are tilting the level (as claimed) or actually moving the ball.

It’s hard to describe feel in controls but this never feels to me like I’m tilting a marble on a course, which is true of all the games in the series I’ve played, not just this one.

It always felt exactly you are tilting the course to me, in the first game at least (I've never played the others). If you wiggle the stick around, the course moves on screen while you stay in place, and you can wave the course up and down to slap the ball while it's in mid air sometimes.

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

Not true! I remember back on the Edge forum some guy on there made a copy of sorts called 'Super Hamster Ball' and I was a beta tester for it. 2002/2003 I think. Those were the days.

Yeah, I remember that. God almost two decades ago...

How many more times do I have to write the words ‘Monkey Target’ in my posts before people stop linking me to clones of Super Monkey Ball’s gameplay? 😄

(EDIT: Has anyone actually tried that 'Rolled Out' game, as a matter of interest? @deKay? Looked pretty cool in the initial trailer, though I understand it's going to be in Early Access for a while yet.)

Despite being on the fence about this and waiting for a sale, I watched a positive youtube review last night, he was given a review code from Sega, and I completely buckled and picked up the Deluxe Edition on the xbox. 

I am so weak but I needed some Monkey Ball goodness in my life. 

I have also got really bad at the game in the last 20 years, but I'm going to blame the xbox pad. 

On 07/10/2021 at 11:21, Eighthours said:

I'm so amazed that no indie dev (that I'm aware of) has tried to copy the gameplay and given us loads of levels and variations, although given the job Sega has allegedly done this time around (I haven't bought the game yet), maybe Monkey Target has an unfathomable magic in terms of how it was programmed that can't be replicated. 

Ripped from NintendoLife.  Bonito Days looks like a pretty sweet Monkey Target (but expanded) tribute. 

6 minutes ago, geldra said:

Ripped from NintendoLife.  Bonito Days looks like a pretty sweet Monkey Target (but expanded) tribute. 

Thanks, that's just the kind of thing I was looking for. The devs must have been totally bricking it at the announcement of Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania. Imagine the sigh of relief when everyone said that Sega had fucked up Monkey Target!

Big case of buyers remorse here, I’m just not feeling it like I did 20 years ago. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be. 

Monkey Target is dogshit as well, in 3 rounds I couldn’t get anywhere near the target, I definitely wasn’t that bad back in the day. 

I was tempted to get this today but ended up picking the original GameCube version of SMB up instead! :) Have the additional controller with the notched sticks on the Wii so looking forward to playing this again tonight!

EDIT : And no SMB for me tonight! Forgot you actually need a proper GameCube controller for the GC mode on the Wii sigh. 

On 06/10/2021 at 15:09, deerokus said:

Mainly due to physics changes. 

It is SO FUCKED UP.

What the hell happened? Did they give this, the most important part of the whole game, to the fucking intern or something?

You go off the end of the ramp and suddenly you're teleported about 40feet away and have absoutely no sense of travel through the air. You open yer ball thing at the peak of your flight and just ... fall into the water. Jesus it's bad. If someone isn't taken out back and shot for this, there is no justice.

I am utterly aghast. Steam refund requested.

Yeah I really want to love this but I just don't get some of the design. For example, Story Mode 4-6 Launchers, are you really just meant to keep forlornly lining yourself up with a launcher in the vague hope that you will get catapulted into the goal or fluke on to the top of the platform, or is there some obvious trick that I just don't understand? Cos I have been stuck doing this for 30+ mins. The helper functions don't really help on a stage like this and I'm loathe to just pay points to clear the stage.

That level was also a cunt in SMB2 I remember.

Main game stuff seems pretty accurate to me. I’m actually happier with it than all the noise had lead me to believe I would be. Smiled my face off each and every time I’ve fired it up.

10 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Yeah I really want to love this but I just don't get some of the design. For example, Story Mode 4-6 Launchers, are you really just meant to keep forlornly lining yourself up with a launcher in the vague hope that you will get catapulted into the goal or fluke on to the top of the platform, or is there some obvious trick that I just don't understand? Cos I have been stuck doing this for 30+ mins. The helper functions don't really help on a stage like this and I'm loathe to just pay points to clear the stage.

Launchers was the reason I traded SMB2 in disgust after being obsessed with the original. There was nothing in SMB that felt cheap. Launchers felt cheap. 

In many ways, I’ve never forgiven Sega for Launchers. 

52 minutes ago, ben-k said:

Launchers was the reason I traded SMB2 in disgust after being obsessed with the original. There was nothing in SMB that felt cheap. Launchers felt cheap. 

In many ways, I’ve never forgiven Sega for Launchers. 

In the end, I just paid points to clear it but it has soured the game a bit. The level design varies wildly, there are too many (>0) levels that just seem random, no clear strategy, just hope for a fluke. Frustrating to play, dissatisfying to complete because it has nothing to do with your skill level. This isn't criticism of this specific collection, it is a problem with the underlying game design. I shudder to think what this must have been like to play with limited lives and no quick resume.

Yeah, you’re describing pretty much my problem with the original SMB2. Seemed there were more silly kinetic parts of levels that felt more like they relied on luck than skill in order to win. I remember being really disappointed in 2 after the 8th greatest game of all time (actually 3rd greatest at the time) in Super Moneky Ball 1 🥃