IGNORED

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania!

mdn2

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I decided to look at this on YouTube to see what the fuss is about and you’re not actually tilting the levels any more? They’re just locked in place? Baffling. No wonder they’re having trouble getting the physics to feel right.

The levels feel fine to me. I’m really happy with the main game.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I decided to look at this on YouTube to see what the fuss is about and you’re not actually tilting the levels any more? They’re just locked in place? Baffling. No wonder they’re having trouble getting the physics to feel right.

Er, not sure. You seem to tilt the level. Whether it has changed how that looks relative to the screen… I didn’t think it was too different.

I think it’s good. I was telling my TV to fuck off so much playing through SMB1 Challenge Mode on ‘Normal’ tonight, it was just like old times :wub:

And I said it earlier, but the new soundtrack is banging. Really like it. I’m assuming cause it’s RGG Studio it’s the same musicians who composed all the big spangly bangers from Yakuza’s Hostess mini game ‘Fever Time’ bits and Yak 0’s disco dancing🤘🏻

• 1 month later...

Bought this on Switch and I dunno, it’s pretty shit. I mean, I’m terrible at SMB and I think I only ever got to the final stage of the medium difficulty a couple of times. But without lives and continues, I just blasted through to the end and then got stuck on the last level, and played it over and over but couldn’t do it so I just quit the game. It was odd. And I felt nothing by getting to that point.

• 1 month later...

I bought this for my switch after having a sudden pang for some monkeyball, and not feeling like digging the GameCube out of the cupboard. Actually, I don't think I could even plug the GameCube into my telly without some sort of adapter. Anyway, downloaded it and it feels like shit.

I know I'm in my 40s now, and can't expect to have the same reactions as I did in my 20s, but.... I'm pretty sure the controller doesn't feel the same. Can anyone confirm? Is there some actual qualitative difference between a GameCube controller in 2001 (or whenever Super Monkey Ball came out) and a Switch Pro controller in 2022? Or the way those versions of the software reacted with the controllers on their respective consoles, anyway. You know what I mean.

My essential question is: are the controls different, or am I just an old, shit cunt?

This is great. Got it on the Switch and minor differences (mainly sound effects and speech) aside, it's the Monkey Ball I know. Playing on Story Mode and am about 80% through and although there have been some really, really difficult levels they're all skill based same as they ever were.

My old, spasmodic thumbs are not helping, unfortunately, so really thin platforms are nigh on impossible.

Monkey Target was completely ruined, until I realised you now have to hold back very slightly on the stick in order to maintain height. Now it's as great as it ever was.

For some reason daughter is addicted to Monkey Race so we've played that a lot.

Oh yeah, and the lack of Dole bananas was a shame until I unlocked Kiryu and he collects Staminan-X bottles anyway so that's moot.

22 hours ago, dug said:

I bought this for my switch after having a sudden pang for some monkeyball, and not feeling like digging the GameCube out of the cupboard. Actually, I don't think I could even plug the GameCube into my telly without some sort of adapter. Anyway, downloaded it and it feels like shit.

I know I'm in my 40s now, and can't expect to have the same reactions as I did in my 20s, but.... I'm pretty sure the controller doesn't feel the same. Can anyone confirm? Is there some actual qualitative difference between a GameCube controller in 2001 (or whenever Super Monkey Ball came out) and a Switch Pro controller in 2022? Or the way those versions of the software reacted with the controllers on their respective consoles, anyway. You know what I mean.

My essential question is: are the controls different, or am I just an old, shit cunt?

Could it be that the GameCube pad had the 8 flat surfaces around the stick rather than a circle on the pro/joycon?

I must admit, I picked this up at launch and was enjoying it initially but was put off by 2 things. Random difficulty spikes, well perhaps not spikes, but fluctuations, a hard as nails level between a couple of easier ones, feels all over the show and… the frustration. I guess I’ve moved on as a gamer and simply don’t want to bang my head against the wall as I play… I played some Monkey Golf and some levels genuinely felt like you’re not doing it without luck on your side.

Aren’t most of the Super Monkey Ball levels directly ported from the arcade version? We should be demanding the ability to play with analogue bananas, not GameCube controllers, to really capture the intended play style.

21 hours ago, Corranga said:

Could it be that the GameCube pad had the 8 flat surfaces around the stick rather than a circle on the pro/joycon?

That's definitely a factor. It was very handy to be able to push the stick forward and know that you're pushing it exactly forward. Unlike the switch controller where it turns out you're actually pushing the stick very slightly to the right of exactly forward.

Although I need to have another go when not drunk. It's possible my alcohol consumption the other night may have been another factor in my crapness. *Cough*

• 2 weeks later...

They really messed this up. A lot of people have mentioned the physics, but the camera stands out to me - it was perfect on the GameCube but here it always seems to be moving off centre and when you're moving forward quickly it's too low to be able to see what's ahead of you. The sensitivity is off as well - it was pretty easy to bring yourself to a stop on the Cube but here it's nigh on impossible. 

The presentation is garish. Why in the intro to a stage do we need its boring name, "SMB Challenge Mode Stage 2 EX" etc. plastered over the screen in an ugly yellow font masking the view of the stage itself? 

People have mentioned Target, but Bowling is an absolute disaster. It has the feel of a cheap mobile game. 

I'll stick to the original. 

• 2 months later...