Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania!

mdn2

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

I've been playing SMB Banana Blitz on the Wii and it's still great those mini games are the icing on the cake. Frisbee golf! :)

I'd be all over this but don't think I'll be interested in the asking price. Because well it's Monkey Ball. I've had so many versions. GameCube one with the GC controller is as good as it got for me.

Sure this makes it accessable for this generation though. 

Isn’t Banana Blitz supposed to be a bit pants? Never played it but rarely hear good things. When they re-released that a year it so back I was disappointed that they didn’t bother redoing 1&2. Better late than never. I’ll be all over this on day 1. 

12 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Absolutely perfect. I hope everyone that's been clamouring for this exact thing puts their money where their mouth is to hopefully get a proper sequel one day too.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz was already a proper sequel by Nagoshi himself.

Monkey target from the first 2 again for competitions with my mates j justifies the price alone. I've still got the cube discs somewhere but despite the useful handle, it's easier to bring the switch over then the cube if they don't come to mine. 

And golf in 10 days, good time to be vaccinated and meet gaming friends again rather than online only. 

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz was already a proper sequel by Nagoshi himself.

I should've said a proper, waggle-free, sequel!

I didn't allow myself to get excited about this, seeing as the later games all ballsed up the physics (it's particularly perverse that the best of the games that isn't 1 or 2 is comfortably the GBA release. You know, the one with no analogue controls).

But now I realise this is coming from Ryu Ga Gotoku studio, and suddenly all bets are off. I hope it's a brilliant remaster, sells well, and leads to some actual worthy sequels.

And for Monkey Ball in Yakuza, obviously.

Super Monkey Ball + Trophy list = Darwock’s existential dread.

It’s probably one of the hardest, most frustrating games I’ve ever played. If they tie the platinum trophy to completing it without continues or something it would genuinely scare me away from ever playing it.

6 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Isn’t Banana Blitz supposed to be a bit pants? Never played it but rarely hear good things. When they re-released that a year it so back I was disappointed that they didn’t bother redoing 1&2. Better late than never. I’ll be all over this on day 1. 

Not sure of the reviews really. Just picked it up with a bundle of Wii games one day. Really enjoyed SMB on the GC and Wii games had got extremely cheap at the point when I picked it up so it was kind of a "what the hell" decision. Turned out to be great, well we (family) enjoyed it anyway. 

The Wii controls add an extra dimension and arguably the most pure way to play a game like this (tilt). The party games included are awesome, not all mind some are frustrating as hell! But there are 50 of them. 

If you still have a Wii (or an emulator on the PC) kicking about worth picking up IMHO. It's probably a couple of quid these days.

The thing is though the game is best suited to it's original host machine and controller. It just just never feels the same on another pad. Those notches on the GC analog stick were absolutely perfect for this. Never sure why Ninty diched the notches on pads after the GC they were a great design feature. Made it ever so easier to line things up up on 3D games. Especially so on Mario and SMB amongst others. Surprised the design hasn't been seen on other pads really. Nintendo probably patented it no doubt.

Unfortunately there’s no way Sega has done the perfect thing - which is to make the original Monkey Target optionally have the second game’s split-screen mode. Has always seemed like a no-brainer for a new game to me. Sigh.

I’m obviously still buying it and will play the original MT for hours and hours as before. No online play, presumably, though. Also sigh.

On 14/06/2021 at 22:20, the_debaser said:

They’ll need to bring out a new wavebird. Current controllers with their circular inlays around the analogue just won’t cut it. 

You can use a wave bird on a Switch…

After finding out from @Wiper's post that this is by RGG, I now inexplicably want majima to pop out of one of the monkey balls at some point. 

That reads very differently if you aren't a gamer 🤔

As much as I'd like a new Sega Rally, Nagoshi produced and directed the Dreamcast version of Daytona so i reckon we're likely to get that first. Mind you it seems part of RGG is on a mission to remake as much as Sega's back catalogue as possible and I am fine with this

On 16/06/2021 at 02:57, Wiper said:

I didn't allow myself to get excited about this, seeing as the later games all ballsed up the physics (it's particularly perverse that the best of the games that isn't 1 or 2 is comfortably the GBA release. You know, the one with no analogue controls).

But now I realise this is coming from Ryu Ga Gotoku studio, and suddenly all bets are off. I hope it's a brilliant remaster, sells well, and leads to some actual worthy sequels.

And for Monkey Ball in Yakuza, obviously.

Haven't they made every single game in the series, including the not so good ones?

I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the series, but the last two I played (3D and Banana Splitz) were not — they were by Dimps and Marvelous.

Obviously the first games were AV, who long ago were broken apart and became a variety of studios including, ultimately, RGG, but as much as that is a clear lineage, I wouldn't really consider the AV of 2001 to be the same as modern RGG, for both good and ill.

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the series, but the last two I played (3D and Banana Splitz) were not — they were by Dimps and Marvelous.

Obviously the first games were AV, who long ago were broken apart and became a variety of studios including, ultimately, RGG, but as much as that is a clear lineage, I wouldn't really consider the AV of 2001 to be the same as modern RGG, for both good and ill.

Ah the DS and Vita games - I hadn't considered those. I do regard Amusement Vision and RGG as one. The HD remaster of Monkey Ball Banana Blitz was made by RGG, and I didn't think it was very good.

Ah, I entirely skipped that, as I had no desire to play a remaster of the Wii game. If it was a good remaster, then I'd expect it to be a bad game, given its source! Hopefully this, as a remaster of the good games will work out better!

(obviously if it happens to have been a bad remaster of the game, not just a remaster scuppered by its source material, then that's a less positive sign)

So what of the old ones are worth playing? I have SMB1 on GC, Monkey Ball Deluxe on PS2 which I believe is essentially a combination of 1 and 2, MB 3D on 3DS. 

It strikes me the quality of gameplay or lack of it is more apparent on the harder levels where the finesse required can be hampered by shit controls. Party games though, it's not so bad. 

18 minutes ago, Vimster said:

So what of the old ones are worth playing? I have SMB1 on GC, Monkey Ball Deluxe on PS2 which I believe is essentially a combination of 1 and 2, MB 3D on 3DS. 

It strikes me the quality of gameplay or lack of it is more apparent on the harder levels where the finesse required can be hampered by shit controls. Party games though, it's not so bad. 

SMB1 on the GC is the 8th greatest game of all time.

33 minutes ago, Ry said:

I will be buying. Its just a pity there is no online multiplayer. 

Is that confirmed? My whole excitement for this was the idea of playing Bowling, Target and Golf online with my mate who I used to play the GameCube game with back in the day.

Hard to see a reason for this to exist without it. 

More details from IGN, confirming online leaderboards:

Over 300 levels have been recreated, with old characters returning to the games augmented by new models, upgraded textures and more. As well as a "barrel's worth of new playable characters," Banana Mania will also feature a photo mode, a comic-book storytelling system, online challenges, leaderboards and four-player local co-op. There are also 12 minigames to engage with.

As well as a standard digital version of the game, a digital deluxe edition will bundle in classic character skins, legendary console skins, customizable items and access to the classic soundtrack. A physical '20th-anniversary edition' of Banana Mania will also be available at select outlets and feature an art book, collectable sleeve and more cosmetic items.

Oh and I saw this somewhere else, as per the “alternative character skin” chat:

Pray for Kiryu and Majima skins 🙏🏻 

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Do I want this on Switch or PS4/5? I think I want it on Switch for GC pad adapting reasons. But I also think the PS version would look glorious in 4K HDR 🤔 

Seriously, plz help me with this decision.

Portable SMB would be great, but with that Joy-Con analogue stick? Aaaaaargh. I'm leaning towards Series X at this point for that reason alone. Sure, I could use the Pro controller on Switch but that takes away the point of the portability.