Jump to content

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania!


mdn2
 Share

Recommended Posts

My thinking for Switch is the GameCube pad adapter for telly play, and the ability to play some of the mini-games portably. Would I fuck attempt a main game level with my drift-drunk Joycon however ☹️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m getting it on switch. Might come to gamepass in the future. 

I'd say it's very likely considering most of Sega's games end up on there.

 

I'm gonna buy it regardless though. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I demand Amigo with his psychotic meth-addled grin to be one of the extra characters. At least he’s a monkey!

 

I do wonder why I’m feeling excited about this though, given that all new attempts at Super Monkey Ball games have been shit since forever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

When I look back on it, one of my favourite flatshare memories, was coming back from a night out, and sitting with my flat mates playing monkey target till way past dawn. always between 6 and 12 of us. We were invested like it was a world cup final, but it was also only a tiny fabrication of a reason to just be together and talk. The vast majority of them never really played games otherwise. One of them became my wife.

 

 


I could echo this almost exactly, except it was when I left the UK, having lived alone for 10 years, to flatshare with other guys starting out in Japan. The GameCube was the only console I took with me for my new life. We totally bonded over Monkey Target(+Iron Maiden. Whenever I hear “for the greater good of god” I mentally picture bright yellow bunches of bananas). Monkey Golf got a good work out too.

 

For clarification I didn’t marry them, but that *was* when I met my wife.

 

edit - I just went looking for it on Amazon, the Japanese title is just “Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 Remake”. What a shit title.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0977KRVNV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=スーパーモンキーボール&qid=1624058556&sr=8-2&th=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

When I look back on it, one of my favourite flatshare memories, was coming back from a night out, and sitting with my flat mates playing monkey target till way past dawn. always between 6 and 12 of us. We were invested like it was a world cup final, but it was also only a tiny fabrication of a reason to just be together and talk. The vast majority of them never really played games otherwise. One of them became my wife.

 

Buying it again as we come out of a pandemic, seems somewhat bitter sweet.  - I won't be able to recapture that magic for a perfect time of my life. But maybe it will find new life with my wife and daughter.

 

 

 

 


💕 

 

Beautiful, man. This post legit made me well up 😭👌🏻 

 

Moneky Ball is that game, people. Utter glory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darwock said:


I could echo this almost exactly, except it was when I left the UK, having lived alone for 10 years, to flatshare with other guys starting out in Japan. The GameCube was the only console I took with me for my new life. We totally bonded over Monkey Target(+Iron Maiden. Whenever I hear “for the greater good of god” I mentally picture bright yellow bunches of bananas). Monkey Golf got a good work out too.

 

For clarification I didn’t marry them, but that *was* when I met my wife.

 

edit - I just went looking for it on Amazon, the Japanese title is just “Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 Remake”. What a shit title.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0977KRVNV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=スーパーモンキーボール&qid=1624058556&sr=8-2&th=1


It’s actually “Eat! Super Monkey Ball 1&2 Remake”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to this as much as the next Calashnikov - I even bought the Banana Blitz remake - but just an expectation-lowering reminder that Monkey Target has been a regular feature on pretty much every single franchise release over the years and has never quite reached the same heights as the minigame from the first one.

 

Yeah, the first one. Monkey Target where you hot-seat take turns to land your balls beats simultaneous split-screen landing of balls. It also allows for the hilarious knocking of already-placed, high-scoring balls into the ocean. Makes it like Petanque with monkeys.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2021 at 22:29, Let us measure said:

I'm looking forward to this as much as the next Calashnikov - I even bought the Banana Blitz remake - but just an expectation-lowering reminder that Monkey Target has been a regular feature on pretty much every single franchise release over the years and has never quite reached the same heights as the minigame from the first one.

 

Yeah, the first one. Monkey Target where you hot-seat take turns to land your balls beats simultaneous split-screen landing of balls. It also allows for the hilarious knocking of already-placed, high-scoring balls into the ocean. Makes it like Petanque with monkeys.

 

 

Cannot pos this enough. The first target is mine and friends favourite. I always wanted them to do a lobby and rules thing forever, so you could do the different maps but with the boules rules or mix and match how you want. 

 

That sort of thing is weirdly absent in a lot of games though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

Where do the consoles fit into the game? They are surely not going to replace the ball… is it just like a player icon or something?


They’re in the ball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

SMB's Japan twitter is posting levels every day.

 

It bugs me they are making unnecessary changes to things like the soundtrack/sound effects that make the game actually worse rather than just giving it a facelift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was all in at launch for this, but if Sega think I'm paying full price and then giving them extra for the original music they can get fucked. I'll grab it in a sale in six months.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changing it is a bit of a weird choice, it'll turn off a lot of people interested out of nostalgia, but I can't imagine it'd make a huge difference to everyone else. Maybe they thought that the booming Arcade-style sound mix of the first game was too much for the post-COVID era

 

(I've never played SMB in the arcade, but it just sounds like it should be yelling those voice samples and sound effects over the sound of 20 other games.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Halo said:

 

SMB's Japan twitter is posting levels every day.

 

It bugs me they are making unnecessary changes to things like the soundtrack/sound effects that make the game actually worse rather than just giving it a facelift.

 

 

aba.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the banana collecting effects are bit distracting and the rotation sounds aren't changing in pitch or quite as frequent - almost seem random; it doesn't signify the momentum you're building up. 

 

Honestly - watching them side by side it's mental how much of a downgrade the audio is. Hopefully this is an early build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I was all here ready to make a ‘wahhhh, old thing has been changed slightly’ shitpost but that music is fucking diabolical.


Thank god the original music is in Fist of the North Star.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/06/2021 at 06:32, MattyP said:

Not sure of the reviews really. Just picked it up with a bundle of Wii games one day. Really enjoyed SMB on the GC and Wii games had got extremely cheap at the point when I picked it up so it was kind of a "what the hell" decision. Turned out to be great, well we (family) enjoyed it anyway. 

 

The Wii controls add an extra dimension and arguably the most pure way to play a game like this (tilt). The party games included are awesome, not all mind some are frustrating as hell! But there are 50 of them. 

 

If you still have a Wii (or an emulator on the PC) kicking about worth picking up IMHO. It's probably a couple of quid these days.

 

The thing is though the game is best suited to it's original host machine and controller. It just just never feels the same on another pad. Those notches on the GC analog stick were absolutely perfect for this. Never sure why Ninty diched the notches on pads after the GC they were a great design feature. Made it ever so easier to line things up up on 3D games. Especially so on Mario and SMB amongst others. Surprised the design hasn't been seen on other pads really. Nintendo probably patented it no doubt.

 

I have this on the Gamecube (one of them, can't remember which).  Then literally yeeeeeeeears later I got the Banana Blitz HD version on PlayStation 4 last year I think.  Worked similar, but I was reading reviews that bemoaned the lack of SixAxis action.  And I soon realised that the same game (the original Banana Blitz version) was on the Wii which changed the controls to the Motion Plus control (cos there isn't a stick turns out the Nunchuk stick works but the game also uses the motion control) which actually makes far more sense, but for some reason they didn't bother (adding motion controls) with the HD version seemingly because while they ported it to the PlayStation 4 and Switch it was also ported to the Xbox One which doesn't have motion controls, and it seemed that they wanted feature parity across platforms (in particular as they also dumped a load of the original minigames, and reworked some of the rest).

 

I might get the Wii sequel, and see if the motion controls make it a far richer experience, but also more than likely will get Banana Mania too, on PS4 or Switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

Interesting information about some of the changes, modes and accessibility options for this. Looks like the balls reach max speed faster than before,  and there are OPTIONAL motion controls, jump and time-slowing buttons that can be turned on or off in settings.
 

There’s also a reverse stage mode, photo mode and a die-if-you-touch-a-banana mode, as well as a feature that allows you to see an optimal path / “racing line” to the goal. Oh, and a controllable R-stick camera. All old mini games confirmed 🥳 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.