Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania!

mdn2

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania is getting rid of lives.

I don’t see how this doesn’t fundamentally break the game by removing any challenge and longevity. The game is fundamentally designed around lives to encourage replayability and steady improvement akin to many other classic games.

Now, most people will surely finish the game and see everything in a couple of hours and that will be that.

I really don’t get why Sega is making these changes to basically a perfect game. It seems particularly strange give the popularity of rogue-likes in recent years which have similar mechanics.

If I could cancel my pre-order, I would. What a shitshow. Lesson learnt.

Infinite retries then?

I’m not sure it’s the problem everyone thinks it will be. Some of those levels were fiendishly hard, to a degree where people will be just walking away. Although having to admit that 100 bananas has no meaning anymore does suggest that they have made some of the design of the game obsolete.

I was recently reading the Superhot VR thread and a lot of members here were complaining about having to redo three or four stages after a failure, saying the checkpointing was too harsh and spoiled the game. I had no problem with it personally, but we are all not as tolerant as we used to be.

Did it have lives? I mainly played it multiplayer, but don't really recall having to go through big chunks of the game again. I can remember the game being really hard, and can see how having to redo 20+ levels to fail the 21st a few times would be horrible.

58 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Infinite retries then?

I’m not sure it’s the problem everyone thinks it will be. Some of those levels were fiendishly hard, to a degree where people will be just walking away. Although having to admit that 100 bananas has no meaning anymore does suggest that they have made some of the design of the game obsolete.

I was recently reading the Superhot VR thread and a lot of members here were complaining about having to redo three or four stages after a failure, saying the checkpointing was too harsh and spoiled the game. I had no problem with it personally, but we are all not as tolerant as we used to be.

Individual levels aren’t that hard. Much easier than something like Super Meat Boy, a game which is designed around having very tricky levels and infinite lives. Instead, it’s based around the limited lives and encouraging repeated play to master them, and providing unlocks to encourage that. There’s really not that much to the game if you remove that. Becoming good at the game is hard but that’s the game - the presentation and simple concept hides quite a hardcore arcade game that pushes the concept to its limits, that’s the whole appeal of it.

If you were to create a new Super Monkey Ball game based around infinite lives then fine, although I suspect they would struggle to balance the difficulty or provide enough content, but retrofitting it into a remake seems wrong to me.

Better options would be to create a separate game mode or put a “no lives” option and prompt the player - neither as the default because that’s not the game.

This thread: Super Monkey Ball is great! Everyone should experience it!

Also this thread: What, do they want everyone to be able to finish the game?

I’m OK with finite continues in most arcade-style games, but I must admit that I was not a fan of how they were implemented in the original on the GC. One of the many reasons why the game didn’t click with me, I guess.

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

It breaks the game.

The entire point of much of the level design was to reward taking the tricker path as it resulted in more bananas.

Now entire sections of levels are redundant.

This is very true, unless they make a time trial mode or score battle or something to justify taking the other path beyond earning extra lives.

I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

Infinite lives is great. I hope you can also just continue from the level you last reached if you quit and start the game again.

I wonder if the EX stages will still be locked behind a clean (or less than a certain number of failures) run through the stages before them?

A classic Sega ham-fisted reveal, leaving us to ponder whether that’s the only option or whether it’s in addition to an old school mode using limited lives.

I’d love a no lives option actually, as I was rubbish at Super Monkey Ball, but I’d want it in addition to an ‘original’ mode. Or even, keep the lives, just give unlimited continues from the same level, but reset your score to zero.

2 hours ago, David Heath said:

The entire point of much of the level design was to reward taking the tricker path as it resulted in more bananas.

Now entire sections of levels are redundant.

I wonder if the bananas are now in-game currency for unlocking the crazy amount of skins and cosmetics? 🤔 

I'm pretty much only buying this for monkey target but I never finished expert mode on the originals so it might make me play the normal 1p game more.

I'm still fairly sure it's only going to get used as a multiplayer game though and I'm happy with that as it is.

It's not that infinite lives isn't great for helping some people see everything it's that it fundamentally changes how you would approach playing the entire game! The reason the stages are designed like they are is because the game knows that if you want to get far you're going to need to be scrabbling around against the clock grabbing every banana possible.

That's the entire set up of the game and a good example is the classic gambit stage AD 11.

You think any cunt is going to risk the 0.2 or 0.1 route for a costume?

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 14.24.29.png

1 minute ago, David Heath said:

You think any cunt is going to risk the 0.2 or 0.1 route for a costume?

Risk? What risk? Unless Sega have made it so you can’t replay levels I don’t think there’s any risk involved.

I don't mind. I just want to have some fun. 

If I want to take tricky routes I will. I always prioritise speed runs in the older games anyway. 

I'm sure people will try the hardest route even with unlimited lives. 

You must know what gamers are like, people make things harder for themselves just for the lolz if they want :)

I know what you mean but as long as it plays well and tracks whether you've collected all the bananas on a stage or not, then people will still do it, even if they might do the easy version first. 

Maybe not everyone but everyone might have not even got to such a stage if there were limited lives.

I thought the risky routes were there for warps to later stages? Having infinite lives wouldn't change their utility. I haven't played the games beyond Super Monkey Ball though so maybe it's different in the later games and bananas mattered more.

I feel like this is where achievements, or some in-game equivalent stats/awards/completion percentage works. I don't need the game to block my progress with limited lives but I appreciate a small tick or something to tell me I've done the harder thing.

Folk in their IG comments speculating and hoping that what it means is 23 of the most notoriously hard stages have been nerfed in the main campaign, and this mode allows you to toggle their difficulty back to the OG levels 🤔 

I’d certainly be slightly more ok with that being the case rather than it being every level getting nerfed, albeit with a crappy mode that gives us those 23 back unharmed, but I’m really worried it’s gonna be the latter.

It feels like they were struggling between re-launching the franchise with the mainstream and doing a fan-satisfying remake, but steered themselves in to a product that will satisfy neither because of the lack of a clear vision.