IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

19 hours ago, Steven said:

I hope that Emi thing is well tuned because it sounds like it could get very irritating.

Despite avoiding most content I saw a brief snippet where a player tried to run under an EMMI that was climbing on the ceiling, only for the same animation that appeared in the first trailer to play out where it approaches Samus from the side & (if you fail the button prompt) grabs her by the neck.  This seems to point to it being a Quick Time Event that triggers whenever they get close enough rather than something that's more integrated into the gameplay.

The amount of promotion this game receives is slightly unreal. I've been avoiding spoilers for weeks now.

Also it seems just like SR this uses...

Spoiler

no d-pad. Just the stick.

I'm trying to keep a neutral stance towards this title, but urgh... it's hard. More so when the press already seems to be shouting "it's a Metroid!" in the same vein that Zeldas always receive a 10/10 and the actual hangover hits a year later. Just one more week of dodging...

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

Despite avoiding most content I saw a brief snippet where a player tried to run under an EMMI that was climbing on the ceiling, only for the same animation that appeared in the first trailer to play out where it approaches Samus from the side & (if you fail the button prompt) grabs her by the neck.  This seems to point to it being a Quick Time Event that triggers whenever they get close enough rather than something that's more integrated into the gameplay.

Oh good, I love Quick Time Events.  

6 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The amount of promotion this game receives is slightly unreal. I've been avoiding spoilers for weeks now.

Also it seems just like SR this uses...

Reveal hidden contents

no d-pad. Just the stick.

I'm trying to keep a neutral stance towards this title, but urgh... it's hard. More so when the press already seems to be shouting "it's a Metroid!" in the same vein that Zeldas always receive a 10/10 and the actual hangover hits a year later. Just one more week of dodging...

I fully expect you to not really think highly about this game...

I fully expect to love it.

4 hours ago, Jarik said:

There's a small 'reaction' window - a flash that if you time it propely, responds in a satisfying 'riposte'... sometimes in bigger creature fights, that riposte is followed by a dynamic scene - but if SR is anything to go by, the scene is interactive.  For example, if you stop firing during it - samus stops firing and she'll continue to fire the weapon that you had equipped.

I wouldn't describe it as a QTE.

I'm expecting something similar to Paper Mario: The Origami King, a game that uses all the elements from an earlier game I was incredibly down on(Sticker Star in that case) and makes a few tweaks to make something way better and grander. First proper good Paper Mario since TTYD.

Can't wait to see what Mercury Steam have turned this into. My second and third playthrough of Samus Returns revealed all sorts of little things that made me look back much more favourably on that game.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Did this get posted? The story so far…

My main takeaway from that is if you have a space station you want to get insured it’s going to have some sort of ‘no payout if Samus Aran ever steps foot on it’ type clause.

It’s still weird that Fusion is part 4, while Other M is a Ninja Gaiden/part 3.5 wearing Fusion’s plot as its skin. 

Other M is ‘t a bad game, but you have to dig through 6 layers of clown dress to appreciate it. 

For the record: I prefer Varia, if only because it highlights the weirdness of transliterating Japanese. 

I still prefer Maru Mari over Morphing Ball, though. 

On the controls front the dread report says that you can run whilst free aiming, though it says aiming is still mapped to the left stick (which is the one used for movement) so I’ve no idea how you’re supposed to run one way and aim/shoot in the other. Perhaps a typo.

53 minutes ago, Strafe said:

On the controls front the dread report says that you can run whilst free aiming, though it says aiming is still mapped to the left stick (which is the one used for movement) so I’ve no idea how you’re supposed to run one way and aim/shoot in the other. Perhaps a typo.

Start running in a direction, hold something like R or Zr to continuing the run and then free aim on stick maybe?

7 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Start running in a direction, hold something like R or Zr to continuing the run and then free aim on stick maybe?

Maybe. Sounds very fiddly considering there’s a second stick there either way.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

That would make it way worse than SR. (Which is a solid 7 in my book.)

I actually can’t wait to see what you think of Dread, if each person wad assigned one game they have become synonymous with..

While we wait:

We may have fallen short of our goals with Prime 3 in not being able to expand the formula a bit. We’re still very, very proud of Prime 3, it turned out to be a fantastic game, but I would be very interested to see what the response would be, especially the fan community, to the expanded ship and the non-linear experience that we were touching upon.

https://www.thegamer.com/metroid-prime-producer-reveals-scrapped-open-world-game/

That might explain why Metroid Prime 3 was the most linear of the trilogy and why your ship never was more than a very chonky Metroid-elevator in terms of game mechanics.

So good news, apparently it's very good.

Quite difficult at times and is very story driven. It also gets a little linear but not to the extent Fusion was. Most people should finish it in 10 hours or so pretty average for a metroid game like this.

Look forward to playing it.