Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Hey I'm happy to reel that in. I've always been quite open about that stuff and if people hate it I'm happy to not chat about it. I don't post often in Games and when I did used to, it used to be fairly open about such things. If that's changed, no worries.

The game itself, its wonderful in places but the EMMI encounters are weak.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

If someone wants to admit they have pirated the game and are playing it that way it's up to them, and people can make their own judgement as to what they think of that poster. It however isn't against the rules.

Honest question: should it be? I mean, is there ever a case where it's a good thing for this forum to have a poster talking about and admitting to stuff like that? Could the forum have any kind of liability in any way? It certainly feels uncomfortable to me that it's right there like that.

Who could reasonably object to a rule that basically said: "We don't condone game piracy, and it should not be discussed on the forum. Posts making open references to the use of pirated software, especially with regards to new titles/releases, will be removed"?

I highly doubt the forum would have any liability from one user saying they're using Yuzu, but as stated I'm happy to stop that.

You'd be shocked how many do do it and don't post about it tbf, my PMs are off the chart and all based around that scene. Keeping it off the front of the forum is a good thing though, agreed.

Having loads of people doing it isn't really a great justification is it? 

I'm not averse to emulating old stuff but freely stealing something that is so new that it isn't even out yet is a bit hard to condone. 

Famitsu score:

Metroid Dread (Switch) – 9/8/9/8 [34/40]

Spoiler

For context, Famitsu also did this:

eFootball 2022 (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One) – 9/8/9/8 [34/40]

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'm not averse to emulating old stuff but freely stealing something that is so new that it isn't even out yet is a bit hard to condone. 

How old does something have to be for it to be acceptable?

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Not condoning it. I just have zero morals about it.

Anyway, on with the thread and game 

4 minutes ago, Quest said:

Probably something that is really hard to obtain otherwise.

I do agree that it's a pretty shitty thing to not reward developers for their work, but here we are.

9 minutes ago, Quest said:

That's the dilemma isn't it. Old enough that it's not still able to be purchased legally maybe? I remember pirating the heck out of the Dreamcast. I probably shouldn't have done that. 

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Who'd have thunk it?

Yeah, well that's my worry. A lot of reviewers are prone to "high ratings because Nintendo and known franchise". Traditionally reviewers also don't get the franchise and check for familiar stuff like "large shoulderpads" and give it a high mark, or discover it's not Zelda and give it a low mark.

Hell, both Super Metroid and Zero Mission were awarded a "coveted" EDGE 8/10.

Great stuff, I'm planning on eventually playing this after my Metroid run through the series from beginnings to end.  Metroid 1 done (bloody rock hard and unforgivable in some places).  What's the best order and shall I skip the more 'weaker' ones in the series?

Just now, simms said:

Great stuff, I'm planning on eventually playing this after my Metroid run through the series from beginnings to end.  Metroid 1 done (bloody rock hard and unforgivable in some places).  What's the best order and shall I skip the more 'weaker' ones in the series?

1. Metroid Zero Mission (remake, I'd have skipped the NES original)
2. AM2R (fan remake of Metroid II and much better than Samus Returns and the GB original)

3. Super Metroid

3.5. Other M (if you can stomach it)
4. Metroid Fusion

5. Metroid Dread

The Primes canonically take place between Metroid and Metroid II, but they add little to the overall story and are nowadays regarded as doing their own thing.

4 minutes ago, simms said:

I'd play it in this order

Zero Mission

Samus Returns rather than Metroid 2 on the Gameboy - but that's just me.

Super Metroid

Metroid Fusion

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

'Metroid Dread is a very difficult game, with challenging boss battles'

oh noes

Hmm, going to wait until there’s plenty of cheap copies in the Trading folder, I think. Or just avoid. Don’t have the time for awkwardly difficult games these days.