Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Switch OLED tabletop mode using a pro controller, or even split joycons :wub:

Yeah, at my desk with a Pro controller until my Skull & Co grip arrives (and I get on with it).

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I never played Samus Returns so I've just had a squint on eBay for it.

Fucking lol.

I'm probably in the minority but I think it's bloody marvellous. To have a title which was widely praised on release and released in quantity, to have that title now holding its resale value is incredible and does Nintendo huge credit. 

Still available on the eshop and I'm sure it'll see a rerelease on the Switch at some point too.

1 minute ago, gizmo1990 said:

I'm probably in the minority but I think it's bloody marvellous. To have a title which was widely praised on release and released in quantity, to have that title now holding its resale value is incredible and does Nintendo huge credit. 

Still available on the eshop and I'm sure it'll see a rerelease on the Switch at some point too.

Although I somewhat agree with the sentiment, this is usually down to Nintendo being extremely conservative with their production numbers. Based on shop experience, Nintendo would always rather be sold out than appear to be in possession of stock of any one title. Only evergreens are ever allowed stock (read: Mario Kart, any one of them).

It's a boon for collectors/traders though.

Pretty much. Retro has been climbing for the last decade and the 3ds is now part of that as most games aren't easily obtainable any more.

Anyway if anyone wants to sell me Samus Returns for a reasonable yet fair amount let me know.

The frequent frustration in this is stopping it being a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 title for me.

Ive been hopelessly lost a couple of times, died 10 plus instant deaths on a couple of EMMIs, and now I am stuck at the bottom of a tall screen full of disappearing platforms, where one mistake means repeating it over and over again.

Its such a shame, because so much of it is really good.

It's actually really cleverly done, there's a few times I've been 'lost', then I end up working things out and ending up the correct path unsure if it's where I'm supposed to go because it seems such a strange route. But it is the right way!

Having boss fights that feel almost like Nintendo doing Dark Souls is pretty awesome.

31 minutes ago, kempstar said:

The frequent frustration in this is stopping it being a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 title for me.

Ive been hopelessly lost a couple of times, died 10 plus instant deaths on a couple of EMMIs, and now I am stuck at the bottom of a tall screen full of disappearing platforms, where one mistake means repeating it over and over again.

Its such a shame, because so much of it is really good.

I want to be you. I crave the friction. 

The only thing I don’t like are the shootable blocks, which are identical to the surrounding structure, and which are mandatory to open up the way ahead. Happened twice so far I think, and both times it required an annoying trip to YT.

16 minutes ago, jonamok said:

The only thing I don’t like are the shootable blocks, which are identical to the surrounding structure, and which are mandatory to open up the way ahead. Happened twice so far I think, and both times it required an annoying trip to YT.

there’s always a hint… love it.  I got hopeless lost and then massive facepalm when I realised where I had to go

Second Boss Easter Egg/Cool Thing Spoilers:

Spoiler

Watched a guy speedrun routing last night (oatsngoats, one of the toper Super runners). If you sequence break and get bombs before Kraid, you can morph ball into his stomach opening and then blow him up with bombs from inside. Very cool reward for experimentation!

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Pretty much. Retro has been climbing for the last decade and the 3ds is now part of that as most games aren't easily obtainable any more.

Anyway if anyone wants to sell me Samus Returns for a reasonable yet fair amount let me know.

Aside: I really wish there was an item of hardware still in production, and cheap, that plays 3DS games. In the longer term, it’s going to become quite difficult to play those games as originally intended.

Edit: as for the game price complaint,

Super Metroid cost £102.00 when adjusted to inflation (or upwards of £120, if you went for an import copy) and can be cleared in under 6 hours on first attempt…

Edited by Protocol Penguin

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Although I somewhat agree with the sentiment, this is usually down to Nintendo being extremely conservative with their production numbers. Based on shop experience, Nintendo would always rather be sold out than appear to be in possession of stock of any one title. Only evergreens are ever allowed stock (read: Mario Kart, any one of them).

I would argue that the main factor is that Nintendo don't de value their games buy discounting them months after release. They simply refuse to participate in a race to the bottom and by doing so it helps create a sustainable fair ecosystem. If a title was worth £40 just 4 years ago, then it's still worth it now, imo. Regarding production numbers, I don't doubt Nintendo do produce some items to scale with an eye to generate shortages/interest. The mini NES for instance, damn them. However I don't feel they do it with their games. Samus Returns for example, I remember still seeing for RRP some 2 years after release.

Anyway sorry, on with the Dread praise! :)

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Based on twelve years of dealing with Nintendo as a retail supplier, this brings back some painful memories. Like blood out of a stone sometimes.

41 minutes ago, Tet said:

Can't get past

Reveal hidden contents

Kraid

Losing the feeling in my thumbs and the will to live.

He's tough, I find treating him like a Dark Souls boss works well - patiently shooting his projectiles for health when need rather than focusing on damaging him all the time.  Definitely a challenge! 

57 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Aside: I really wish there was an item of hardware still in production, and cheap, that plays 3DS games. In the longer term, it’s going to become quite difficult to play those games as originally intended.

Dunno about that, DS / DS Lite/ DSi systems are still in an abundance, and fixing those is a doddle, I am still regularly buying knackered 3DS systems and bringing them back to life also, I expect to be fixing 3DS family of systems for a good few years to come.

I've even been uploading some of my adventures in fixing crap on that the Youtube

Anyway, Bomb, Varia Suit and Dash obtained, determined to finish this game on my birthday 😛

1 minute ago, MikeBeaver said:

Dunno about that, DS / DS Lite/ DSi systems are still in an abundance, and fixing those is a doddle, I am still regularly buying knackered 3DS systems and bringing them back to life also, I expect to be fixing 3DS family of systems for a good few years to come.

I've even been uploading some of my adventures in fixing crap on that the Youtube

Anyway, Bomb, Varia Suit and Dash obtained, determined to finish this game on my birthday 😛

When is your birthday? 

Not quite sure what Kotaku are doing here. Fingers crossed they'll get black listed by a bunch of companies.

They really are a long way away from their Jason Schreier investigative journalism anti-gamergate heyday.

Anyway, Metroid Dread. Hoping I find a morph ball soon as the amount of spaces I can use it are starting to pile up.

With regard to the EMMI encounters, I only just noticed that:

Spoiler

The map border flashes red when one is within scanning distance - a really handy notification that lets you know to stop moving and/or enable the cloak. 

Nice!

(Very minor spoiler)

I'm surprised just how good this is, I wasn't massively looking forward to it, but it plays and looks fantastic.

As with most games, the boss fights are the bits I enjoy the least, only been through the first real boss, and it took a good five or six tries, hope they don't get too tough for me as I really want to see this through.

36 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Based on twelve years of dealing with Nintendo as a retail supplier, this brings back some painful memories. Like blood out of a stone sometimes.

My old boss still has a massive axe to grind with Nintendo and he's been out of the business for years.

15 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Not quite sure what Kotaku are doing here. Fingers crossed they'll get black listed by a bunch of companies.

They really are a long way away from their Jason Schreier investigative journalism anti-gamergate heyday.

Anyway, Metroid Dread. Hoping I find a morph ball soon as the amount of spaces I can use it are starting to pile up.

That’s bizarre, particularly this bit.

If you want to play the rest of the Metroid franchise and don’t want to shell out large amounts of money on old consoles and games, your best bet is also emulation. As is often the case, Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.

Wtf.

1 hour ago, Tet said:

Can't get past

Reveal hidden contents

Kraid

Losing the feeling in my thumbs and the will to live.

I just beat him! I had quite a few goes last night to no avail but I beat him in two tries today. My right thumb now looks like one of Popeye's biceps though.

So I've reached the end and instead of completing it, I've gone back to mop up items and...

FINALLY. I'M PLAYING METROID.

Slowly scouring all areas for little hints and titbits without being locked out of areas is... YES. THIS. THIS HERE. STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS. There are some nice head scratchers and stuff that seems like a little thread which you pull to reveal a complete tapestry. But for some reason the game only allows you to...

Spoiler

mix and match all teleporters, and go revisit everything after picking up all main skills.

It's maddening. Akin to FFXIII deciding the game literally opens up at the 20 hour mark. Now that I'm here though...

giphy.gif

The Uncharted-style main part of the game can get fooked though. And MercurySteam despite all their amazing progress from SR to Dread, needs a very slow course in pacing.