IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I must admit I'm not really sharing the love for this. It's fine and I'm working my way through it but I'm not finding it overly engaging. I just don't like the EMMI mechanic at all, having to leg it around areas that you don't know the layout of trying to work out how to get away is a PITA and rather than filling me with dread that I might get caught I just find them annoying.

I've beaten the first two main bosses, and to be honest I'm very very surprised with people talking about them being souls like, and difficult. I beat the first boss on my 3rd try and the 2nd on my 4th. Now by the second I may have had more energy than some people but when I did it I only got hit once. The game literally throws energy at you through the fights. I'm also by no means good at games, I gave up on Hollow Knight because I just found it far too punishing and couldn't beat Soul Master as an example.

The other thing I don't understand is people getting lost early on. The game, at least to me, feels incredibly linear (at least up to the second boss). It seems to go out of it's way to make sure you can only stay on the main route by blocking off every other option.

I think as I now have more powers it is opening up a lot more so I may change my mind on that. To be honest I'm torn with whether it's a good thing of not as I don't like mindlessly wondering round a map trying to find the one door/path I've missed but this seems to have gone completely the opposite way.

No kids in the house for the first time since the game turned up so I've been able to sit an have an hour or two.  Made decent progress and while I've got nothing much to add that hasn't been said already, it's bloody good isn't it?  I can't believe I'm looking at a Switch game as it looks and runs so well and I'm starting to get into the design language a bit now too, there have certainly been moments where I've found myself going around in circles as the game wants to keep you in smaller areas of the map more than, say, Hollow Knight would but once embraced then it's actually just nice to appreciate how much thought and work must have gone into making it all so tight.   Gameplay wise I've killed my first real EMMI and two bosses, one was a robot thing which shot rockets from the ceiling and the other was this big scorpion looking motherfucker.  The level of challenge is spot on really, I've not felt anything to be too difficult yet (the hardest thing has been occasionally getting lost) but it seems that with every death to a powerful enemy you learn something new about how to fight it and are given the opportunity to use that knowledge on the next attempt.  I don't think I need brutal and punishing boss fights in this game, obviously things are going to get harder but right now it's just really good fun.  I can see this game doing very well on people's GotY lists in 2021. 

Despite getting spoiled by a sequence break on Twitter, I'm enjoying this immensly. Metroid never played better. It's buttery smooth. Just an utter joy to play. I tend to prefer games where just controlling your character is an utter joy and Samus comes close to Selene in that regard. Wish I had a Switch OLED to play it on, because damn, it must look gorgeous on that. But yeah, funny how the two best games of 2021 as far as I'm concerned (this and Returnal) both star a female who is isolated on an alien planet.

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I must admit I'm not really sharing the love for this. It's fine and I'm working my way through it but I'm not finding it overly engaging. I just don't like the EMMI mechanic at all, having to leg it around areas that you don't know the layout of trying to work out how to get away is a PITA and rather than filling me with dread that I might get caught I just find them annoying.

I've beaten the first two main bosses, and to be honest I'm very very surprised with people talking about them being souls like, and difficult. I beat the first boss on my 3rd try and the 2nd on my 4th. Now by the second I may have had more energy than some people but when I did it I only got hit once. The game literally throws energy at you through the fights. I'm also by no means good at games, I gave up on Hollow Knight because I just found it far too punishing and couldn't beat Soul Master as an example.

The other thing I don't understand is people getting lost early on. The game, at least to me, feels incredibly linear (at least up to the second boss). It seems to go out of it's way to make sure you can only stay on the main route by blocking off every other option.

I think as I now have more powers it is opening up a lot more so I may change my mind on that. To be honest I'm torn with whether it's a good thing of not as I don't like mindlessly wondering round a map trying to find the one door/path I've missed but this seems to have gone completely the opposite way.

I think it strikes a pretty good balance between linearity so you don’t get hopelessly lost, and letting you off the reins a bit to explore using new powers. 

I’m just enjoying the hell out of it tbh. 

Let’s mention for a moment how nice the animations in this game are.

There’s one in particular for me that really hits the spot - when hanging from one of the sticky blue ceilings - where Samus transitions from an overhead hang to a vertical hang - that tiny animation is just perfect. 

😚👌

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Let’s mention for a moment how nice the animations in this game are.

There’s one in particular for me that really hits the spot - when hanging from one of the sticky blue ceilings - where Samus transitions from an overhead hang to a vertical hang - that tiny animation is just perfect. 

😚👌

It really is great. They must have used mocap for some bits like the wee jog up the stairs as it’s just so real.

13 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

If the worst case scenario comes to pass and we have to say goodbye to the 2D series, at least Dread ends it on a nice little high note. Especially after two middling entries before it.

What the hell is wrong with Fusion and Super? :P

1 hour ago, MikeF said:
  Hide contents

The one in Cataris, fires pink lasers

I didnt find him too bad actually. Once you get the patterns locked down, you can avoid almost everything.

I kept the missiles charged up constantly, and kept locking on to his head.

This guide is useful-

https://gamerant.com/metroid-dread-experiment-no-z-57-boss-guide-cataris/amp/

Slight other peeve I have with this game are the controls. Why are the two options you use the most on the shoulders (aim and rocket) assigned to the bumpers and not the triggers? For me at least it's so uncomfortable and not helped by the fact that the bumper on my right joycon only actually registers 70% of the time.

Despite my previous reservations I am enjoying the game more as it goes on, taken down the third main boss and have opened up a few new areas. It still insist on making it painfully obvious where you are supposed to go next though.

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

This game is deceptively open. I could have done this well before getting the gravity suit. Could have done it on the first pass and saved some time before returning.

One of the many highlights is seeing so many sequence breaking that i’m already planning for my route on hard mode.

Edit: Holy hell, I just discovered you can melee counter while in morph ball mode. Samus does a backwards flip when you press the melee counter button in morph ball.

This gets a lot better after the second big boss (in Cataris). I'd figured the boss was a bit too hard and so revisited everything I had opened up to find secrets. At that point in the game you have a lot of freedom and 3 zones to rinse. It also filled out my map nicely giving me lots of icons to revist later with new abilities, so even though all I found were stupid missiles, it was still worth it, and quite fun. 

Anyway, I returned to the boss with no extra health and managed to beat it after quite a number of attempts. It's all about pattern learning and knowing the right tools to use when. After that, you start unlocking classic and new abilities in quick sucession, the environments get even sweeter and the expanding abilities means the world opens even further up. Definitely in the Metroid groove now, like the old ones it really starts to shine once you have a decent suite of movement abilities, and in this one they have nailed it - its a joy to traverse the world most of the time. Feels like I'm near the end already but hopefully not (I just unlocked access to Ferina). 

Yes the Emmis can be annoying and the structure is definitely restrictive to begin with but its really showing its 9/10 colours now.