IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I’m just gutted that this didn’t come with a day one 60 gig patch. What the hell are Nintendo doing? 

Haha! It is quite odd buying a game that seems to be complete and actually work day one. Very old fashioned.

The EMMIs could do with a tiny nerf, in my opinion. Lower their detection range slightly, and add a frame or 2 to the counter window. After all, it's not like the counter damages them. Or, just increase the size of their patrol area, as they always seem to be in whichever area you enter their zone from! It's a touch frustrating to come across them when you don't know the layout of the rooms ahead well enough to run, and so you just have to hope it buggers off long enough for you to get across the room.

But, that's a suggestion rather than a complaint. Otherwise, I'm fully on board with the love-in, this is a wonderful game.

I'm typically not a fan of games where you're hunted down with no recourse but running away. It's just not a mechanic I enjoy.

But it's hard to ignore the good response this is getting, and I've played every 2D apart from Metroid SR and Other M...

20 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm typically not a fan of games where you're hunted down with no recourse but running away. It's just not a mechanic I enjoy.

But it's hard to ignore the good response this is getting, and I've played every 2D apart from Metroid SR and Other M...

In that case, this is a cut below Fusion in the being hunted down/chased department imo. Much more lenient. Especially with the additional checkpoints it's pretty OK.

I have managed one EMMI counter out of dozens of attempts - my reaction times to the yellow flash are just too slow, and trying to pre-empt it doesn't seem to work for me either. Tbh I just let it do its stabby thing now without even trying, you respawn right next door usually, so big whoop. 

In terms of dodging them, it's never really difficult when you have the cloak, although the blue one is a bit harder, especially the water bit, but it's just finding the right timing and using the morph ball/cloak.

I don't mind them, really. Not sure they add that much. Seems they are the big love it/loathe it talking point of this game, its equivalent of BotW's weapon deg mechanic, but as for that game, I'm not really arsed. You just adapt, and enjoy the damn game.

Emmi's are really odd.

They're fucking annoying as shit - which the devs obviously recognise since they give you an easy another go/respawn.

But in some ways that just makes it more frustrating because the impact of (a single) failure is so light - why even bother having it? You spend longer on the near impossible QTE than you do re-running the section.

54 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

The EMMIs could do with a tiny nerf, in my opinion. Lower their detection range slightly, and add a frame or 2 to the counter window. After all, it's not like the counter damages them. Or, just increase the size of their patrol area, as they always seem to be in whichever area you enter their zone from! It's a touch frustrating to come across them when you don't know the layout of the rooms ahead well enough to run, and so you just have to hope it buggers off long enough for you to get across the room.

But, that's a suggestion rather than a complaint. Otherwise, I'm fully on board with the love-in, this is a wonderful game.

The only counter I would make to that is that it checkpoints you prior to your entry into the EMMI door and so far at least the restarts are very quick. I’ve just been pegging it through but I think you have to use the abilities and environs to their full capacity as well which, so far, I’ve not really been doing. 

I quite enjoy the change in pace those areas bring. Tension. 

A SENSE OF DREAD. 

14 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Emmi's are really odd.

They're fucking annoying as shit - which the devs obviously recognise since they give you an easy another go/respawn.

But in some ways that just makes it more frustrating because the impact of (a single) failure is so light - why even bother having it? You spend longer on the near impossible QTE than you do re-running the section.

Failure of the EMMI room - by being caught - basically results in a failure of navigating through the room and the restart just before the room makes perfect sense. That's what you're trying to survive and navigate through, and that's the challenge so I totally get restarting right at the start of it. I also love the use of the Game Over screen as it's so oldschool. 

I'd also presume on Hard mode, it will remove these soft check-points?

58 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

The counters are so precise that they’ll make for great watching during the inevitable GDQ speed runs. Feels amazing when you get one. 

Think I've nailed one so far. And that might have just been the training/demo one.

8 minutes ago, smac said:

Think I've nailed one so far. And that might have just been the training/demo one.

I’ve done it about 4 times, in lots of tries. Always the first chance, never the second. I think that says more about the number of chances I’ve had to practice rather than any inate skill. 

I've only done an hour so far, but Christ, some of this dialogue. A lot of the lore from the Prime games is written to an Arthur C. Clarke standard, and now this:

E.M.M.I made from "the strongest stuff in the universe".

Who wrote that!? How did it get a pass? I demand that get patched out, pronto. :lol: 

Fusion is one of my favourite Metroids, so it's not like I'm averse to an in-your-face narrative. There's a lot of other little things about the game rubbing me up the wrong way (like the 'sexy' pose at save stations and similar), but it's still very early of course. I'm only an hour in.

24 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Let's hope. For the Prime games I used to use one of my friends as a Metroid gimp. I'd hand him the game first and get him to unlock hard mode for me for my first play. One of my very favourite gaming memories is me trying to work my way through Phazon Mines - that huge gauntlet of a stretch before you can get to a save point.

38 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Only thing hard mode does is increase damage output. Game is otherwise identical.

anyone got any tips for the last boss? spent about 2 hours on it so far!

Spoiler

well i assume it's the last boss anyway, the beak guy. i'm ok at the first phase now, shoot the balls! but i'm running out of missiles on phase 3 so should probably look around for more? (got ~150) or am i wasting missiles when they don't damage the boss, he changes colour and seems to stop taking missile damage but i'm not sure. but then the balls replenish missiles so maybe i should just carry on.

43 minutes ago, Fallows said:

E.M.M.I made from "the strongest stuff in the universe".

I mean to make a comment about that, it really does stand out, and not in a good way.

30 minutes ago, smac said:

It's the child-bearing hips... well, more like ball-bearing hips, given what she can morph into.

I just thought the pose stood out a bit in a somewhat sexualised manner. There to make sure we remember that it's a hot blonde underneath the suit, and not some faceless robot. Again, it's just a very minor thing, but something I'd not really expect in a portrayal of Samus.

53 minutes ago, spatular said:

anyone got any tips for the last boss? spent about 2 hours on it so far!

Hide contents

well i assume it's the last boss anyway, the beak guy. i'm ok at the first phase now, shoot the balls! but i'm running out of missiles on phase 3 so should probably look around for more? (got ~150) or am i wasting missiles when they don't damage the boss, he changes colour and seems to stop taking missile damage but i'm not sure. but then the balls replenish missiles so maybe i should just carry on.

Spoiler

Yeah, don’t bother wasting missiles when he goes all gold during his second phase. You can only damage him at that bit by countering his taunt/attack move. Once you’re locked in the short OTT counter cutscene type animation, unload a tonne of missiles by all means, but other than those specific moments there’s no point in firing missiles during that phase.