IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I tend to agree with him, however not at that part...

Spoiler

At the start of the third area there is a room with hidden shootable blocks right next to some blocks with arrows on that you are seeing for the first time, this made me think the way out of the room was something to do with these new type of blocks and me lacking the power-up to activate them. It was like the game was trolling me, absolutely no need to put those blocks there.

I eventually stumbled across the floor blocks only cuz I was shooting everywhere in frustration, defending it as 'well that's Metroid' doesn't really make it good game design, esp if you want new players to get into the series. Just put one of those exploding floor monsters there so you know to blow it up.

Map screen highlighting secrets  +  question marks for blocks you don't have the required gear for, on the map screen  +  the

Spoiler

radar ping ability

make this a non-issue.  The trolling-for-clicks prick has shot his design credentials into the sun!

22 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I went googling because I remembered he did Twisted Metal and something else but couldn't remember what that last thing he did was and this was one of the first results

Aye, alright ducky. Click bait bullshit. 

Hadn't seen that, that kind of shows that whatever he's saying valid/not valid is in incredible bad faith.

Only early days for me so far, but its great to be back in Metroid's world. Super Metroid is the greatest game for me. 

I've defeated the 2nd boss now after quite a few attempts, so far though the EMI one-shot kills are tedious. I don't know who thought they were a great idea but it spoils this big-time.

Just got the 

Spoiler

Super Missile

enjoying this a lot. What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in playability. Once I start it I don't want to put it down.

And without wanting to sound like one of those guys, I'm surprised at the number of people finding it difficult. The controls can get a bit fiddly, but the checkpointing is very generous and every boss follows a simple pattern. Difficulty is obviously very subjective, though, so I'll shut up.

Question: is there any kind of fast travel you unlock later in the game? I want to mop up stuff I've missed, but endlessly trudging back and forth across the map could get tedious pretty quickly. I'm guessing it's best to wait until I've unlocked all the upgrades?

24 minutes ago, Popo said:

The only criticism I have is that I’m not particularly jamming on the soundtrack. It’s very samey, and lacks any decent hooks - quite dull compared to Super and Prime (especially Prime).

Im getting strong Alan Silvestri Predator vibes in places. 

I've never been a big fan of hidden blocks in Metroid either, Super Metroid had some really aggregious ones with no hints whatsoever. But the game design around them has improved a lot since. In Dread even though there's tons of hidden blocks, they are almost always telegraphed in some way through the world or the map screen, and it's also super-easy to shoot suspicious surfaces thanks to the free aim, large fire cone and plentiful ammo. To make life even easier for the secrets they have added in the glowy-map feature to finally stop you wasting all that time scouring every inch of the map to find those last few missile upgrades. So for this Metroid I really can't agree with hidden block criticism, although for a new Metroid player maybe it could telegraph 'hidden blocks are everywhere!' a bit better for the critical path Alex mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm surprised at the number of people finding it difficult.

I’m not that good at games and I would say I’m finding it ‘challenging’. Took me about 10 goes to defeat Kraid but once I figured out patterns I was getting further every time. 

This always happens because even those who aren’t used to tough(ish) games get on the (most excellent) hype train and find it a bit tricky. It’s all good though. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

The only criticism I have is that I’m not particularly jamming on the soundtrack. It’s very samey, and lacks any decent hooks - quite dull compared to Super and Prime (especially Prime).

Agreed, I was spouting off about the amazing background music/ambience in an earlier post but into the game proper and it is quite underwhelming overall.

I'm surprised nobody has really talked about the environments in terms of sameyness, either. It's a very one-note experience with no dynamic changes, no peaks or valleys, just this constant level-design hyperclutter, constant urging of the player through one indentical ferret-run after another, precluding any identification with any one area, such that the whole thing is more a mechanical obstacle course through countless 'liminal spaces' than a meaningful place or setting. (This is bad in itself, imo, before making any comparisons to the remarkably believable and thoroughly developed planet of SM, or whatever else.)

Only negative so far is the

Spoiler

Grappling hook or whatever it is called 

Just way too fiddly to operate. Hold RT, LB and use Y. Everything else seems really natural to control but that always makes me double take what the controls are, even hours after getting it. 

5 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I'm surprised nobody has really talked about the environments in terms of sameyness, either. It's a very one-note experience with no dynamic changes, no peaks or valleys, just this constant level-design hyperclutter, constant urging of the player through one texturally indentical hamster wheel after another, precluding any identification with any one area, such that the whole thing is more a mechanical obstacle course through countless 'liminal spaces' than a meaningful place or setting. (This is bad in itself, imo, before making any comparisons to the remarkably believable and thoroughly developed planet of SM, or whatever else.)

Cant disagree, would have preferred a bit more variety in the environments - they’re lovely, but not very distinct from each other. 

I also hate the grappling hook. Use the stick and LB to aim, pull and hold ZR and hold Y. Which is tolerable if you can see the hook point. Sometimes I’ve also had to hit B to jump then free aim the damn thing while falling with LB not available.

7 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Only negative so far is the

Reveal hidden contents

Grappling hook or whatever it is called 

Just way too fiddly to operate. Hold RT, LB and use Y. Everything else seems really natural to control but that always makes me double take what the controls are, even hours after getting it. 

Aim whilst running and jump into the grapple like the Samus of cut scenes.