IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Yeah, I had two tanks for Kraid. My strat was basically;

Spoiler

spam missiles into his mouth to end the first phase quickly, then use standard fire on the belly hole from the far left whilst being sure to shoot the acid blobs. When the pink goop fires and hits the floor, jump to avoid the AOE. Crouch when he fires those three large projectiles that stick in the wall. When you're back up top, spam missiles again, making sure to hit the sickle horn things he fires at you. It was over pretty fast.

When you're done:

Spoiler

I like the idea that if he hadn't fired that last projectile, Samus' would've been stuck in that room and the quest would've been over. :D

I'm currently on the boss in Burenia and struggling.

Spoiler

Am I supposed to have the anti-gravity power up to help underwater? I only have the grapple, but Adam mentioned both... This tentacle monster is really kicking my ass. I've got the method down, but he hits SO fucking hard.

My biggest criticism is that if you don't go the correct way straight after getting a power up, you end up doing circles around the map, killing the momentum. Exactly like Super Metroid then. :D

5 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I'm currently on the boss in Burenia and struggling.

Hide contents

Am I supposed to have the anti-gravity power up to help underwater? I only have the grapple, but Adam mentioned both... This tentacle monster is really kicking my ass. I've got the method down, but he hits SO fucking hard.

Spoiler

When the blue bar thing at the top of the screen powers up you need to charge shot the green button thing on the left and then grapple up to the blue bar to travel across the screen and do a charge shot on the matching green button thing on the right. This then drops the water level and the boss opens up so you can spam missiles into it.

1 minute ago, polygon_monkey said:
  Hide contents

When the blue bar thing at the top of the screen powers up you need to charge shot the green button thing on the left and then grapple up to the blue bar to travel across the screen and do a charge shot on the matching green button thing on the right. This then drops the water level and the boss opens up so you can spam missiles into it.

Must say, after that boss, (and another little mini boss afterwards) I'm a bit lost. Didn't appear to get any new powers. Currently exploring the far reaches of the map for some place new.

Just now, Number 28 said:

Yeah, I got the method, I just get wiped out before I can do it more than twice. I suppose I just need to git gud.

Hide contents

Dodging lightning fast tentacles underwater though... :(

Spoiler

Some times you just need to be patient and shoot the blue balls for a while to get your health back. When the second type of tentacle attack comes you have enough time to see it coming and grapplehook up to the blue bar. Once it's attacked, drop down straight away before it does the other attacks again.

17 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Just got past the 

Reveal hidden contents

Chozo warrior

It’s such a satisfying game to just play and whizz around. I don’t want it to end.

Glad you like it, I think it’s the best thing I’ve played in a long while.

28 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Just got past the 

Hide contents

Chozo warrior

It’s such a satisfying game to just play and whizz around. I don’t want it to end.

With that fight:

Spoiler

Is there a better method than using the dash to get out of the way of his attack?  Can he be countered for massive damage?

21 minutes ago, polygon_monkey said:
  Hide contents

Some times you just need to be patient and shoot the blue balls for a while to get your health back. When the second type of tentacle attack comes you have enough time to see it coming and grapplehook up to the blue bar. Once it's attacked, drop down straight away before it does the other attacks again.

Yeah, I was probably lacking in patience late last night. I feel like up to that point the game leans heavily into 'spam missiles as fast as you can' and I was just trying to brute force it in a similar fashion. I was watching the Eurogamer guy on YouTube struggling with the earlier cloak monster boss and it was frustrating how he barely used any missiles, the game throws them at you. But he was struggling a bit with the controls, tbf.

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

With that fight:

Hide contents

Is there a better method than using the dash to get out of the way of his attack?  Can he be countered for massive damage?

Spoiler

You can counter his blue blade which gives you loads of health and missiles. But just keep double dashing over his head land, pump him with missiles, then jump over his head and pump from the other side of the screen. It’s easy once you get the hang of it.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

How many energy tanks did everyone have when facing Kraid? He's kind of kicking my arse and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile trawling through other areas to see if I can beef myself up a bit.

2 for me. It’s just about learning his patterns though at first I thought he was really tough. Took me about 10 attempts. Tip…

Spoiler

In the balls out the belly button phase stand as far back as possible and pound his balls to explode them before they get to you, whilst smashing his hole whenever you can. 

30 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

2 for me. It’s just about learning his patterns though at first I thought he was really tough. Took me about 10 attempts. Tip…

Hide contents

In the balls out the belly button phase stand as far back as possible and pound his balls to explode them before they get to you, whilst smashing his hole whenever you can. 

😂

Same for me, about ten goes just getting the patterns down.

In the second phase, I stood right at the back and made sure to use a charged shot to take the bouncy balls out as they appeared. That will fill your health and missiles too for the face-pound phase.

Got the morph ball. Got to say, I don't think much of core progression (rather than bonus items and secrets) being hidden behind destructible walls and floors that you'll only find if you go around shooting everything. The bit in Dairon, early on, for example.

I would say i'm about 1/2 or 2/3rds through.  The 

Spoiler

X

have appeared.

Love it so far.  The fluid way Samus moves, the progression of her powers, the way secrets are handled (giving you a general area rather than having to bomb the entire map or spelling it out) & the new threat the EMMI pose & how you have to respond to them are all excellent.

There is one fly in the ointment however.  Many times now i've tried to explore a previous area with a new power only to find that that the way back has been blocked, & only sometimes with something that needs a new upgrade.  One time a door was simply 'sealed' for no reason.  I hope the game opens up before I get too close to the end as I want to item hunt.

17 minutes ago, Jarik said:

One time a door was simply 'sealed' for no reason. 

Yeah, I found that after 

Spoiler

picking up the spider-magnet. One key door was offline, meaning the only way was to the first boss battle.

From what I’ve read on here people talk about hoovering up all items before the end so hopefully that’s a thing. You would have to be able to 100% it or people would go postal. 

26 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I would say i'm about 1/2 or 2/3rds through.  The 

Reveal hidden contents

X

have appeared.

Love it so far.  The fluid way Samus moves, the progression of her powers, the way secrets are handled (giving you a general area rather than having to bomb the entire map or spelling it out) & the new threat the EMMI pose & how you have to respond to them are all excellent.

There is one fly in the ointment however.  Many times now i've tried to explore a previous area with a new power only to find that that the way back has been blocked, & only sometimes with something that needs a new upgrade.  One time a door was simply 'sealed' for no reason.  I hope the game opens up before I get too close to the end as I want to item hunt.

Spoiler

It'll only completely open up when all main skills are unlocked and the route to the final boss is clear.

3 hours ago, Jarik said:

Many times now i've tried to explore a previous area with a new power only to find that that the way back has been blocked, & only sometimes with something that needs a new upgrade.  One time a door was simply 'sealed' for no reason. 

This has been my biggest gripe as well (as well as a perceived general lack of bigger, more open rooms). The contrived way the game closes off routes in order to funnel you forward made me worry about a general lack of interesting replayability, but luckily it didn't take long for the community to find all kinds of ways to sequence break this game.

I'm currently doing a third run, on Hard, focused on doing things out of order as much as I possibly can. Getting the bombs early was a very satisfying undertaking, and it taught me much about the game that otherwise would've been left unexplored. For instance: while sliding out of an opening in the wall, you can 'jump out' of said slide if you get the timing right. Without needing the double jump upgrade. Combine this with a well executed wall bounce, and this technique lets you skip the big lava lake in the south-east corner of Dairon super early, for instance.

Sublime game. It's no Super Metroid, but what is, eh?

I beat the aforementioned boss I was stuck on last night after about two attempts. Not so bad after all. I've only just come to realise the importance of the Flash Shift in battle once I reached the

Spoiler

gold chozo...what a bastard. It's not quite as powerful as a Dead Cells dash, you can't shift through enemies, but it's important to put distance between yourself and that dude.

Just as I expected...

Spoiler

the EMMIs have been reactivated. :doh:

Btw, I just picked up an unknown item I can't even use yet? Like, maybe an ammo expansion for a weapon I'm yet to receive? Strange, yet symbolically compelling.

To those who have progressed quite a way into the game:

I am stuck: 

Spoiler

I am trapped between a small section in Cataris and the first few screens of Dairon. In the latter I can’t get past the special blocks (need to unlock something I think as the blocks are a crescent shape icon on them). When I try back track through cataris my way is cut off by the now closed of thermal trapdoor adjacent to a recharge station. Sure I’m missing something obvious. Only unlock I have is phantom suit. 

I just got caught by an EMMI whilst taking damage in a freezing pit of water, miraculously managed to stun it with the parry, then grapple beamed out and through the exit. Fucking chad Samus. 😎

There's something anti-climactic about getting caught isn't there? I'm guessing it's because Nintendo that there is no crunch and scream when Samus is impaled. I mean, gore isn't necessary, it just feels weirdly inconsequential, especially when some are pegging it as a bit 'scary'.

Took down Kraid Federighi. Quite a good fight. Good amount of spectacle, but you can basically spam attack and destroy most of his projectiles. There’s a bit where you drop down. Where you can crouch fire from and so long as you spam hard enough or time things right, none of his attacks can hit you and you don’t need to move. 

Still stuck on the final boss but there's a couple of things that I'm not liking about it

Spoiler

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and there is a way to force certain attacks or if things are damaged based (which I don't think they are). Basically a couple of times I've got out of the first phase with all my health (799) and all my rockets (199) because he'll excessively use the ball attack, or the room wide blast that you avoid by going into the ball. The thing is if you avoid that attack you go straight to a parry section. I did one phase where he went, ball, generall attack, wide room, finger taunt, wide room, finger taunt and that was it. Super easy. Then other times where he never goes to the parry moves and once I ended up with 5 rockets left because he just wasn't doing anything to replenish them). The other things is because there is no health bar I really have no idea whether spamming rockets through the little animated sections is actually doing anything or if it's just wasting my rockets.

I've hit the final phase once, maybe I'm missing something but is there any way to gauge how much damage you've done to him in the air, it just seems to go on endlessly and then suddenly it's over. I'll be rocketing and superbombing and yet I don't have any idea how much damage I still have to deal, it makes all the attacks seem pretty weak and feeble.

I've got to the point where it's clear the final boss is within reach, so I've gone into backtrack and hoover up every possible item mode. 100% on about half of the areas so far, and only a couple of items away on the rest, but bloody hell are the challenges to get some of them tricky! It'll take a good bit of timing and skill to get right to 100% which is pretty cool - played for the last few hours in handheld, but think I'll be using the pro controller to get at least a couple of these.

Absolutely loved every minute of it so far - this is absolutely game of the year for me, hands down.

Finally finished this tonight, 7h37min in total (with only 49% of items collected as the pace just kept ploughing forward).

Thoroughly enjoyed it the entire way through, even if I got caught by E.M.M.I over a hundred times. Only minor criticisms were a fair few instances of slowdown (not ruinous) and a few cutscenes were too long for my tastes. Everything else was perfectly Metroid, almost impossible to stop for the night when there's the temptation to see how far your new gadget will get you.

It's a beautiful looking game too, even playing on my launch Switch exclusively in handheld mode. There was a cutscene early one (part of the intro?) where we see through Samus' visor and it made me briefly wish I was playing a new Metroid Prime but now that I'm done all I want is more 2D Metroid, immediately. I hope Mercury Steam get to work on a sequel, but I've not played Zero Mission so I'll get stuck into that. Once I've got all of Dread's items, obviously.

My one small disappointment:

Spoiler

A few tweets I'd seen seemed to suggest the end of the game would be a bit of a boss-rush and I really hoped I'd be facing a gauntlet of powered-up bosses from earlier in the game en route to the final encounter but it was just a three-phase fight against the boss. Still a decent fight, though.

Getting those final upgrades is the best thing about the game. They're the hardest challenges in any Metroid game, ever. Whoever designed some of those shinespark puzzles really wanted a lot of gamers to hate him/her :lol:  Ridiculously satisfying to pull off, though. They do require some advanced techniques that don't get mentioned in game, like shinesparking whilst in mid-air or keeping a shinespark going whilst wall bouncing and sliding.

RE: the final boss:

Spoiler

One thing that seems to elude a lot of players but that will make the fight against him infinitely more bearable: you can easily destroy those black holes with four (regular, uncharged) ice missiles. Just line up your arm cannon and spam missiles the moment you see that thing leave Raven Beak's blaster, and it'll be gone before he has time to do anything else. Nets you a nice amount of rockets and health each time, too.

Oh, and: don't waste your shots on him while he's glowing yellow. You can only parry him, and the best way to do that is to run up to him when he taunts you.