Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

29 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I hate to quote you and bring you back in pal, but if this game was so air-tight then these perfectly valid criticisms shouldn't really do anything to hamper your enjoyment in the slightest. It's exactly the same as when I hear people complain about the camera in SM64 or the framerates on Perfect Dark, games which I consider to be absolutely fucking perfect in every sense. It's entirely alright to criticise a particular segment of the game while also loving the rest of it.

I see your point and agree, there's loads and loads of criticisms that are levelled at all sorts of things that I just don't thing matter in the slightest in my opinion are aren't even remotely issues. Often they're the entire point of something existing, or the actual thing that the creator is trying to convey. I have a personnal dislike of the term "valid criticism" as it implies that the criticism deserves respect for... reasons? It's measureable? "I don't like the sky because it's blue", yes, it is blue but so what? It's certainly not red if you dislike the sky being red. 

I don't really respect the actual criticism, but do respect that a person is entitled to that opinion, completely. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

You have two chances to counter them, while it’s standing and then again when it grabs you. They sense a difference in air pressure so if you’re within their radar they’ll come after you. 

Is there an obvious way to tell when you're within their radar, though? There's the yellow honeycomb thing that appears on the screen, but only once you've actually made a noise and they're homing in on you. I don't think there's a way of telling when you're actually in their radar zone until you've already triggered their attention.

Anyway, I've only got one more left now, so it doesn't really matter.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is there an obvious way to tell when you're within their radar, though? There's the yellow honeycomb thing that appears on the screen, but only once you've actually made a noise and they're homing in on you. I don't think there's a way of telling when you're actually in their radar zone until you've already triggered their attention.

Anyway, I've only got one more left now, so it doesn't really matter.

No idea, seems like if you move at all within an EMMI room, they’ll be on you in seconds. 

Regarding EMMI behaviour:

Spoiler

Making a move within their honeycomb radar will set them off. Making a sound outside of those will draw them towards you. This is why you should evade the little flying shells, they explode upon touch (somehow shooting them seems to be fine in my experience?). This is also why just legging it works. They'll be slowly moving towards whatever location you were, while if they've seen you, they'll be in full on chase mode at high speed (and everything will be red, and the doors will lock down).

32 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Never mind the box art.

Reveal hidden contents

And then there's the seventh EMMI...

You must hate DOOM's box art.

As for your spoiler: 

Spoiler

The first EMMI's just a tutorial and the last one's a cutscene, so there are five actual EMMIs to battle. Not bad, IMHO, especially since they all increase in threat level. That said, I will admit that only the last one, EMMI 6, shat me up a bit. Its ability to see through walls is scary!

This starts slower than any Metroid game I've played previously, and filled with boring lore I dont care about.

Admittedly the last one I properly played was Super Metroid.

Does it continue throwing cutscenes and dialogue at you throughout?

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

This starts slower than any Metroid game I've played previously, and filled with boring lore I dont care about.

Admittedly the last one I properly played was Super Metroid.

Does it continue throwing cutscenes and dialogue at you throughout?

No. 

Some good news from Japan has come regarding sales of Dread. In its first few days, Dread sold 87.000 units. That makes Dread the Metroid game with the best launch week numbers of the 21st century. However, it also means that it has outsold the following games (LTD) in the series: 

Metroid: Zero Mission - 85.045

Metroid Prime -78.384

Metroid: Other M - 75.578

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 74.647

Famicom Mini 23: Metroid - 50.353

Metroid: Samus Returns - 42.437

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 40.355

New Play Control! Metroid Prime - 20.607

Metroid Prime: Pinball - 15.541

New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 12.427

Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 6.090

Only Hunters and Fusion were able to sell more over their lifetime on the market. At 90k for Hunters and 155k for Fusion. Their launch week numbers were 32k(Hunters) and 49k(Fuion). Keep in mind that the firgure for Dread doesn't include digital sales so it's probably already cracked 100k in Japan.

Only Super Metroid and the first Metroid went higher at 500k and 1 million respectively.

and done, 9 hours 10 mins with 56% of the items found

Loved it from the start to finish

Final boss wasn't that hard once I figured out his patterns and figured out how to damage him

Really tempted to play Super Metroid as I have never played it before

I've now collected all the items I can - in fact, all but 3! 

100% in every area aside from one item each in 3 of them - I'm not sure if they require a level of skill I simply don't have (quite possible) or if I do really just need to get onto the TV with the pro controller (also quite possible - I've got very close to each, so really I might just need to be calm...maybe an excuse to crack open a beer when the kids are in bed...)

Anyway, with that it's onwards to the last boss - it's clear I'm right there so holding off until the kids are home this evening as promised them they could watch me fight it (they like to see their daddy cry...)

What. A. Game.

I’m very happy with the reports that Dread is well on the way to becoming the best selling game in the Metroid series.

I also feel for anyone who will now try to buy physical copies of the previous entries and experience the same financial agony as Fire Emblem fans.

Also: TIL parrying an EMMI automatically opens all exits that were locked when it saw you. Meaning it will 100% be part of the speedrun.

After the problems with Other M and Federation Force it's nice to see a Metroid do well. Hopefully it'll provide a push towards Metroid Prime 4 and will keep the IP a bit more in the forefront for Nintendo. (Although at this pace, I can see MP4 becoming a launch title for a Switch 2.)

I'd love it if the sales of this were enough of a nudge to get Prime Trilogy onto the Switch sooner rather than later (hell, I'd be happy with just Prime with Gamecube controls - it's the best one!) - if they released a 2D Metroid compilation in parallel (or as one big bundle) I'd lap that shit up!

40 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Also: TIL parrying an EMMI automatically opens all exits that were locked when it saw you.

Wait, what do you mean with parry? Do you mean the two chances you get to break free once it catches you? Or...?

22 minutes ago, Stifler said:

if they released a 2D Metroid compilation in parallel (or as one big bundle) I'd lap that shit up!

I'd be as happy as a pig in shit if they released Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission in a package like Castlevania Advance Collection!

49 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Also: TIL parrying an EMMI automatically opens all exits that were locked when it saw you. Meaning it will 100% be part of the speedrun.

Yeah I didn't notice that when I parried once and panicked trying to escape:

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Omg, I can't believe how quickly those chucklefucks died once I managed to get off a couple rounds of the special. They were so irritating, I must've tried twenty times.

What is the special? Asking for a friend who may or not be at a couple of chucklefucks.

Edit: figured it out. 

43 minutes ago, polygon_monkey said:

What is the special? Asking for a friend who may or not be at a couple of chucklefucks.

Edit: figured it out. 

Yeah, the

Spoiler

storm rockets.

I forgot the Metroid/Zelda cardinal rule: Always try using the last power/item you picked up. Saying that, I still died multiple times. They move so damn fast, and usually into Samus' face.

I switched off for a break after reaching the

Spoiler

monster that made the nextdoor area freeze. I guess I need to space jump a LOT. Oh boy. :lol:

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I see your point and agree, there's loads and loads of criticisms that are levelled at all sorts of things that I just don't thing matter in the slightest in my opinion are aren't even remotely issues. Often they're the entire point of something existing, or the actual thing that the creator is trying to convey. I have a personnal dislike of the term "valid criticism" as it implies that the criticism deserves respect for... reasons? It's measureable? "I don't like the sky because it's blue", yes, it is blue but so what? It's certainly not red if you dislike the sky being red. 

I don't really respect the actual criticism, but do respect that a person is entitled to that opinion, completely. 

👀

3 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Anyone playing this in handheld mode on an original Switch? Is it okay or too dark?

On the fence about upgrading to an OLED model, but playing handheld more than ever these days.

I played a little in handheld mode on the original and it was fine, I see no need to upgrade myself just for this game

55 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Struggling a bit with a later boss.

Hide contents

Escue.

Requiring a lot more manoeuvres than previous fights. 

I’ve just beat it. Take heart - it’s a quick battle, it can’t take much damage!

Spoiler

I don’t think you can counter his charge - I couldn’t get the timing right, anyway. Jump over the charge, jump over the electricity ball (and subsequent discharge) and use a combination of jumps and dashes to avoid the smaller missiles. Shoot it with missiles when it’s not electrified. 

I only just realised that the boss room on the map tells you the boss name. Neat!

Everything about the game is so fast. Samus moves fast - bosses take you down fast - power ups come at you fast fast fast. It’ll be nigh on impossible to go back to Super Metroid after this. 

7 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Anyone playing this in handheld mode on an original Switch? Is it okay or too dark?

On the fence about upgrading to an OLED model, but playing handheld more than ever these days.

I'm up to the third boss playing exclusively handheld and it's been absolutely fine, no problems at all re: darkness.

Yeah I only realised myself yesterday about the names! Thanks for the tips, I’d kind of been doing sort of that but a bit sloppily, will give it my full attention later. 

I love the rate at which the game chucks abilities at you, there’s hardly time to breathe and it’s a very difficult game to put down as you ‘just see what’s next’ or ‘ooh I know a door I can open now’ etc. 

Bloody brilliant game. 

Got the gravity suit. Got to say, it feels like the training wheels are off and exploration is now much freer than the early game. 

This is liquid Metroid. 

I’m on 7 hours 40 mins and I don’t think I’m anywhere near the end. I’ve spent about 2 hours lost after getting the

Spoiler

grapple gun

I’m sure I’ve been absolutely everywhere. I’m just going round in circles now.