IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I hate to milkshake duck the first really popular Metroid in forever but Mercurysteam apparently have followed the industry standard practice of being dickheads about credit. Anyone worked on the game for less than 25% of the time it was in development (apparently many, many years) was omitted entirely.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/mercurysteam-defends-its-leaving-developers-out-of-metroid-dread-credits

Edit - People who worked on the game for over a year were left out so I guess they’re counting from the release of Samus Returns?

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m sure I’ve been absolutely everywhere. I’m just going round in circles now.

From where you got the item,

Spoiler

head up to the Dairon elevator. Then in Dairon, continue heading upwards. There's a wall in the top right of the nearby EMMI zone that you have to do a jumping sprint through, then a grapple beam box, then an elevator to a new area. Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Got to lol at the ‘it takes 7hrs to beat the game’ reports. Not a fucking chance on the first playthrough. 

Final boss here at 6:40. It’s not impossible, but considering my background I don’t regard that as an average time at all. It’s probably double that if you go in blank and more on top if you want 100% items. 

53 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I hate to milkshake duck the first really popular Metroid in forever but Mercurysteam apparently have followed the industry standard practice of being dickheads about credit. Anyone worked on the game for less than 25% of the time it was in development (apparently many, many years) was omitted entirely.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/mercurysteam-defends-its-leaving-developers-out-of-metroid-dread-credits

Edit - People who worked on the game for over a year were left out so I guess they’re counting from the release of Samus Returns?

There’s no excuse for it, even the people in QA have a significant impact on how the finished product turns out.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

This needs to be adressed in some shape or form. This shit is just inexcusable.

12 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Final boss here at 6:40. It’s not impossible, but considering my background I don’t regard that as an average time at all. It’s probably double that if you go in blank and more on top if you want 100% items. 

Yeah I'm very familiar with Super Metroid and I've finished Fusion (not played Zero Mission but definitely will next) so I understood the flow of this and was almost exactly one hour slower than your time, then 9h50m for 100%.

Main struggle was that I was appallingly bad at the E.M.M.I sections. I wouldn't be surprised if I was caught over 100 times by them.

Started a third run today with the goal of trying to find as many sequence breaks as possible. The early game is very narrow with progression, I tried my best but so far I’ve been stuck on the same critical path.

I just got the morph ball and varia suit however so if I’m going to start finding anything it’d be now. Definitely going to try and find that early morph ball bomb I keep hearing about.

15 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

My 100% time is already way slower. 

Hide contents

Because I’m 100%-ing the map. As in colouring in everything. It makes the voices go away. 

Finished it this evening - 14 hours, but still have those 3 items to get, but I've also backtracked a lot to do exactly what you've spoilered 😂 

Loved every minute of it.

1 hour ago, Blunted said:

Got to a watery bastard. Only had a couple of goes so far but I'm not enjoying it. Sooooooo slooooooow.

I beat water boy tonight. Doable in no more than 2 minutes when you figure it out.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

No-one reads them anyway!

I just smashed nearly three full areas and two bosses in a four hour sesh. Hardly any hiccups or stalling. The maps look big, but it doesn't take any time at all to rush across them. I reckon I'm close to the end now.

That submerged lab area has got to be one of the prettiest zones in a Metroid game.

The only answer is really to unionise, get something analogous to WGA rules in place. It’s obvious game development is a business that doesn’t have an ethical norm around credit and acknowledgement; one has to be imposed.

These credits “policies” might just be smokescreens for project managers who aren’t competent to keep track of who worked on the game. If you compiled the credits at the last minute by contacting HR for a list of employees by job title and project, you’d get something similar to what we see today.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

That submerged lab area has got to be one of the prettiest zones in a Metroid game.

Beautiful isn’t it, and it’s gets deeper, and deeper. Really stunning. 

That credits thing is a fly in the ointment though, how disappointing when everything else is so good. 

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

These credits “policies” might just be smokescreens for project managers who aren’t competent to keep track of who worked on the game. If you compiled the credits at the last minute by contacting HR for a list of employees by job title and project, you’d get something similar to what we see today.

I wish this was the case. But that's all I can say about it.

53 minutes ago, Gambit said:

So they don't deserve credit?

Sure but as said it's seems to be the industry standard so why is this one game being singled out? Call out the whole industry instead.

RE: The bug fix -

What to do

1. Restart the game and, before playing through this sequence, remove the door icon map marker to prevent this error from occurring.
  2. Once the October 2021 software update is available, update the game.

How do even you remove a door icon map marker?