Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I actually finished Metroid Fusion yesterday on my modded Game Boy Player and now I'm getting a brand-new 2D Metroid nearly 20 years after first playing Fusion. I think it looks fucking excellent.

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They’ve seen how well the Galactic Federation troopers deal with literally any threat, and have reluctantly gone crawling back to her for help?

This would make Federation Force canon. :(

My main impression of this game is that it will be decent enough but they’ve likely just remade the old un released DS game in short order with a few bells and whistles because Metroid Prime 4 is taking ages.

39 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This is yet another Metroid (or actually Sakamoto) that tries to pull the "bad guy is chasing you" shtick (Fusion, Zero Mission ending, Echoes, Corruption, Other M (implied, through the traitor), and even Hunters when you squint). Sakamoto clearly took the "Metroid feels like the planet is hunting you" concept to heart. So consider an eyebrow raised at the mention of a breath of fresh air.

My point with regards to this game feeling new has more to do with the art direction not mimicking Super Metroid in the way Other M and Samus Returns did, rather then with the Emmi enemy being a genuine new concept within the series(which it isn't, as you rightfully point out).

3 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

My point with regards to this game feeling new had more to do with art direction not mimicking Super Metroid in the way Other M and Samus Returns did, rather then with the Emmi enemy being a genuine new concept within the series(which it isn't, as you rightfully point out).

Ah, yeah definitely agree on that. It's far more understated (which I associate more with Super and Prime 😬). Which is good as Samus Returns went candy-shop-overkill with the aesthetics. SR-388 did not have the same sense of "warm dark" like the original or even AM2R had (or for the Sony peeps out there: Returnal).

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Well...

This is yet another Metroid (or actually Sakamoto) that tries to pull the "bad guy is chasing you" shtick (Fusion, Zero Mission ending, Echoes, Corruption, Other M (implied, through the traitor), and even Hunters when you squint). Sakamoto clearly took the "Metroid feels like the planet is hunting you" concept to heart. So consider an eyebrow raised at the mention of a breath of fresh air.

I'm getting the idea thought, that Nintendo is stuck between an obviously present group of Metroidvania enthusiasts who have moved on (incl. myself) and a Nintendo audience that couldn't care less about Samus apart from her status as important IP within the Smash and greater Nintendo canon. We've seen Samus being modelled after her Smash persona more and more, which is fine, great even. All things considered, the core combat of Other M was actually kind of nice (it had so many issues though). But like Other M and SR, Nintendo is on track to completely leaving the mysterious and subtle labyrinthian aspect behind and focusing more on the combat/encounter spectacle. A bit like how complex dungeons became a sort of persona non grata in BotW in order to facilitate a greater sense of freedom.

Is that good? Not for the Metroidvania enthusiasts I'm guessing, but I have no idea if this actually gels with the Nintendo audience either.

Story wise I'm completely confused though. Samus seems to be in the good graces of the GaFe, even getting a new suit mod, after destroying their illegal activities, blowing up their weapon research station and source planet, and making off with their spaceship and tactical AI. Que? 💁‍♂️

Is it just me who thought when they actually ended up playing through Super Metroid to the end on SNES Classics on Switch, that it was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be?  I'm playing through SR just now and the deeper you go, the bigger and more complex the levels get, and working out how to get from one place to the other does need quite a bit of looking at the map.  I played Zero Mission to completion the other week, first time since it's original release and was amazed when it only took me 4 hours.

Most people hate being lost in games.  Lots of people complained massively (and wrongly!!!) about 'back tracking' in Metroid Prime games.  

I'll admit the trailer itself wasn't the best - but having seen the treehouse first 15 minutes or so of the game....

I'M PUMPED

49 minutes ago, Strafe said:

My main impression of this game is that it will be decent enough but they’ve likely just remade the old un released DS game in short order with a few bells and whistles because Metroid Prime 4 is taking ages.

I think given the comments about technological limitations, it might not have got very far at all on the DS. Anyone remember the version of Metroid 4 with gravity shifting and a Ghostbusters gun? I picture it getting to that sort of prototype stage and running in to trouble. I doubt much of this is particularly old, even if the technology behind it has some legacy in Samus Returns.

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think given the comments about technological limitations, it might not have got very far at all on the DS. Anyone remember the version of Metroid 4 with gravity shifting and a Ghostbusters gun? I picture it getting to that sort of prototype stage and running in to trouble. I doubt much of this is particularly old, even if the technology behind it has some legacy in Samus Returns.

I remember some rumour from around 2009 that said someone had seen Dread running on the DS and that it was still using Metroid Zero Mission assets. So much so that the person seeing the footage thought it was a port of the GBA game. Can't imagine the game having gotten far in development at all if that were the case.

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I mean like level design and general design.

Despite playing NES Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime during my childhood, I would never have considered myself a big fan of the series. Fusion completely converted me - I played it through earlier this year, then went onto finish Zero Mission and eventually have another stab at NES Metroid and Super Metroid. They're all absolutely fantastic, and the announcement of Dread has come at a perfect time for me, since I seem to have grown a larger appreciation for the series now I'm older. I just picked up a copy of Mercury Stream's 3DS title as well - looking forward to giving that a bash before October!

I ordered myself a copy of the Special Edition of Dread this morning from the Nintendo store, and I'm hoping it ships okay. I ordered some NES Classic Controllers from the old Nintendo UK store back in February, and they never came. After talking with support, I was told that hold ups at ports due to paperwork were causing significant delays from a warehouse in Germany. Ultimately, after two months of waiting and being in contact with them, I was issued a refund. The new website design appears to have, maybe by co-incidence, come shortly after that. I can only hope they have a stronger base of operations here in the UK now, and that shipping wont be an issue. The support agent did tell me that the problem was affecting a lot of customers in the UK, so I'm a bit surprised I didn't hear more about it online at the time. I did notice the payment this morning was processed somewhere in Germany so... fingers crossed.

I think the nes controllers are done through myNintendo and the Uk Nintendo store is a separate entity (run by the Hut group under licence, I think). You should be ok, I’ve never had problems with them.

I've only just caught up on the trailer for this. God, it looks terrible, doesn't it? Hopefully it plays a lot better than it looks.

I played a little of the first Metroid Prime (only up to the giant plant boss, which I think was the first boss lol) so wouldn't exactly call myself a fan of the series, but I loved Shadow Complex and Hollow Knight, so I'm kind of on board for this on the Switch. That Treehouse video did make me want to tear my hair out though as that player was so incredibly shit at avoiding the second EMMI that I wondered if she was playing deliberately badly to show you what happens if you get caught.

22 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I played a little of the first Metroid Prime (only up to the giant plant boss, which I think was the first boss lol) so wouldn't exactly call myself a fan of the series, but I loved Shadow Complex and Hollow Knight, so I'm kind of on board for this on the Switch. That Treehouse video did make me want to tear my hair out though as that player was so incredibly shit at avoiding the second EMMI that I wondered if she was playing deliberately badly to show you what happens if you get caught.

She was playing deliberately badly to show you what happens if you get caught.

I'm pretty sure the Treehouse folk are the internal testing department at Nintendo, so will know these games inside out back to front.

49 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

it was definitely the latter - she was talking about the different modes as she was doing so, and trying to get it to change mode.

6 hours ago, Lupin Central said:

Despite playing NES Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime during my childhood,

Do we allow children on this forum now?

Damn; after my initial excitement, I'm ready to adjust my expectations for this one.

Just watched the two tree house presentations focused on Metroid Dread, and tbh, it looks like a very run-of-the-mill metroidvania that really could've been made by anyone - with a Metroid skin slapped on to sell it to the fans. The only game announced last night by the big N I'm no longer enthusiastic about, I'm afraid.

A bit sad they gave the final chapter in this legendary series to a dev with a less than stellar track record.

6 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Damn; after my initial excitement, I'm ready to adjust my expectations for this one.

Just watched the two tree house presentations focused on Metroid Dread, and tbh, it looks like a very run-of-the-mill metroidvania that really could've been made by anyone - with a Metroid skin slapped on to sell it to the fans. The only game announced last night by the big N I'm no longer enthusiastic about, I'm afraid.

A bit sad they gave the final chapter in this legendary series to a dev with a less than stellar track record.

how on Earth can you tell that from a 15 minute early gameplay video? What are you expecting? Some kind of obvious indication that you’ll be able to speed run the whole thing in 45 minutes? An exact copy of the beginning of Super Metroid? Massive comedy shoulders?

14 minutes ago, scottcr said:

how on Earth can you tell that from a 15 minute early gameplay video? What are you expecting? Some kind of obvious indication that you’ll be able to speed run the whole thing in 45 minutes? An exact copy of the beginning of Super Metroid? Massive comedy shoulders?

A deviation from Samus Returns.

19 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

As the forum's top Metroid fan, you're best placed to elaborate a little ;) What kind of deviations are you thinking of?

I enjoyed Samus Returns fwiw.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

And how can you tell that?  From what I've seen it takes good ideas from Samus Returns and Other M, counter attacks, melee, free aim - and makes them faster and smoother.  It includes the relentless chasing that made the last level of Zero Mission so tense.  No one surely expects the galaxies most bad-ass bounty hunter to only be able to shoot 45 degrees up or down and not be able to punch things?  Surely?  

It seems peoples biggest beef is that the first level is in a metallica looking factory setting - fair enough maybe - but is that it? 

I think had they called this Dark Axiom Knight, was a PS5 exclusive, and had a different protagonist folks would be giving it hefty on the ooft scale and going 'Nintendo!  Why oh why don't you make another 2D Metroid!?'

53 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

As the forum's top Metroid fan, you're best placed to elaborate a little ;) What kind of deviations are you thinking of?

I enjoyed Samus Returns fwiw.

Heh, already mentioned some earlier in the thread, but summarized:

• More obscured exploration path instead of A-B-C waypoint progression (not even Metroid II was as obvious); give players the idea that they're figuring out the path, rather than just handing it to them. (Truth to be told, just about every modern game could take this to heart; I will never forgive Uncharted 2 for presenting me a puzzle only to immediately show me ITS SOLUTION next).
  • Less hand-holding: this ties in with the the above point, but just showing which blocks need a certain blast or highlighting secrets is shite. Hide that, or make the player do something to discover this (X-Ray and PowerBombs traditionally did this). All these signposts take down the labyrinthian nature of Metroid and turn it into a Uncharted climbing rountine (exaggerated, but at the same time, if I look at a situation and only have to do the thing instead of figuring out the thing beforehand it's just work (yes, I really dislike Uncharted's exploration design)).
  • Less 'scenes': locking players in an environment/room in which there's only a single solution to get out and no way to go back. This is fine as a tutorial to teach a new ability, but utterly boring when you already have them. This is my main issue with the E.M.M.I.s. We've seen this type of gameplay in multiple Metroids now. It's not new. And it made some Metroid evolution fights in Samus Returns incredibly boring, as you were just 'waiting' for the weak point to show up instead of doing something about it.
  • Internal consistency: if players can use an ability (walljump), don't just outright disable said ability (walljumps) in areas where devs would like players to do "the other thing". This one in particular made me lose faith in MercurySteam as a party that "gets Metroid". (Other M did this as well and fuck, I'm still angry about it.)
  • Exploration/Combat flow: this is the one thing Dread seems to be tackling; getting rid of the start-stop nature of countering. I really hope it's less obtrusive with aiming as well, but that looks less so.

Those are the main design issues which don't overtly spill over into hardcore territory. YMMV of course, but I could go on a rant which basically boils down to me wanting to put devs in front of a very death-by-PowerPoint presentation called "Zero Mission and why you should steal every last bit of it".

I know this wasn’t aimed at me, but personally I thought the art style was awful. Not something you’d usually associate with a Nintendo game. Especially when I’d just seen Replaced.

I haven’t watched the gameplay video yet, but from an aesthetic point of view it looks really rough.