IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Took down Beaky boi earlier with 100% items. I think the difficulty is very well pitched - as long as you're learning from mistakes and not repeating them too much it's really not that bad.

I loved mopping up the items with the shinespark stuff, there are some tight ones in terms of timings, and some very cleverly designed ones too. Looking forward to hard mode, which I might save for Christmas. If I can resist the urge...

Definitely the best game of the year that isn't called Returnal.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Fed up of this now.

All day stuck on Z-57, even watched Slo-Mo YT videos, and despite repeating exactly what they do he never enters the 3D scene after I parry his bite in phase 2. Most videos seem to get that scene after one or two parries.

When I’m doing it, it just loops the flappy bird bollocks (shite choice that is btw) and the same spew, swipe, bite attack cycles until it eventually chews through my health. I’m hammering the cunt with rockets and volleys, such that I sometimes run out of 100+, but ultimately the loop just does too much cumulative damage.

What am I doing wrong? Does the 3D scene spawn automatically after an eventual bite parry, or do you have to do something else to prompt it, like jump onto one of his tentacles or something?

Assume I’m near the end, thankfully, but on the verge of binning this.

Stick with it you’ll get him, took me a good while but you will learn it - after countering his flash, fire and then you’ll jump on him, I then used charged shots during the QTE cutscene thing, after a couple of those and all his other bollocks he goes down. He’s hard but doable. 

42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Although I maintain that it's irritating how you don't get told how to do the shinespark stuff, once you've watched a couple of videos to get the first few, it is actually quite fun to figure out how to get the others by yourself.

Case in point (spoiler for those who want to figure it out for themselves):

Lol at me panicking towards the end. Christ, that was stressful. :lol:. I'm going to get another drink.

Bosses in this game seem to require counters. If you don’t counter, or don’t attack in the scene immediately following it (you can attack in QTE cutscenes), the boss will cycle back and start its pattern anew until you do the QTE again. Often “defeating” a boss means they’ll show their counter opportunity. 

Successfully completing counters can decimate the amount of time spent with a boss. You can dance around certain ones for fifteen minutes, only to crush them in mere seconds if you manage to RNG two counter opportunities following each other. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

@jonamok - are you shooting after countering him? You have to do that to trigger the cutscene, IIRC. When you see the golden flash, push the stick towards him and counter, then release the stick and press the fire missile button. She should then jump on his head and ride him around the tower for a while, where you can hammer the missile button to get some hits in.

And you're about two-thirds in, I'd say. Still a ways to go yet.

THANK YOU! Bleeding obvious I suppose. Been too busy trying to nail the QTE parry - which I’m shit at - to think of shooting him again. Will try it again tomorrow.

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Well, this is something special isn’t it. Sublime gameplay and an insane level of polish that puts most other developers to shame. 

Quick question, there are loads of bits where you can’t jump up as it’s only a low gap you are trying to jump to. Do I just have to wait for morph ball or is there a technique I’m unaware of?

If its a morph-ball sized gap you can hang off the edge and then jump elsewhere. It teaches you this right at the start. You can also wall jump by jumping in the opposite direction when you hit a wall, but the game never tells you this and I think its not necessary to progress, just a nice optimisation to get around quickly and to get some of the optional powerups.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Huh!? I just used a teleport and got a message saying that 

Reveal hidden contents

all of them are now open. What triggered that? Why wasn't this option available before?

I'm going to have to re-examine my review of the game at this rate. What a calamity.

Spoiler

Once you get access to Itorash (complete your ability set) it’ll open them all up.

13 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:
  Hide contents

Once you get access to Itorash (complete your ability set) it’ll open them all up.

I did that before, though, then I went on to defeat the final boss. I must not have used a portal again afterwards. Oh well. Maybe the game makes more allowances for you than I first thought.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Fed up of this now.

All day stuck on Z-57, even watched Slo-Mo YT videos, and despite repeating exactly what they do he never enters the 3D scene after I parry his bite in phase 2. Most videos seem to get that scene after one or two parries.

When I’m doing it, it just loops the flappy bird bollocks (shite choice that is btw) and the same spew, swipe, bite attack cycles until it eventually chews through my health. I’m hammering the cunt with rockets and volleys, such that I sometimes run out of 100+, but ultimately the loop just does too much cumulative damage.

What am I doing wrong? Does the 3D scene spawn automatically after an eventual bite parry, or do you have to do something else to prompt it, like jump onto one of his tentacles or something?

Thats the one I used, I found that after 2 or 3 attempts, and getting killed like fuck! It just died REALLY easily! I didnt counter once, not at all, just shot the shit out of it and used the lock on thing to get all the attacks in , in one go, only counter stuff I did was when you HAVE to counter, and luckily did it first time, as I was on the last health bar at sub 50 HP, I might have hit record button, but I swear the game made itslef easier as I'd died a couple of times, I am on Normal difficulty.

So far, I have found the game challenging, but not overwhelming, I have been lost several times, and I hae used the wlkthough series above to find the points where I have NOT been shooting at the fucking walls al the time to find the route forward soon as I spot the idiot thing I have missed, I stop the playback and go explore myself, coming back once I have spent an hour or so lost.

It's a great game, I am enjoying it, but yeah, it "might" shuffle ou in the right direction, but sometimes ou just get lsot 😛

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

If its a morph-ball sized gap you can hang off the edge and then jump elsewhere. It teaches you this right at the start. You can also wall jump by jumping in the opposite direction when you hit a wall, but the game never tells you this and I think its not necessary to progress, just a nice optimisation to get around quickly and to get some of the optional powerups.

Cheers, but I meant enter the small gap above where I’m holding on. 

14 hours ago, jonamok said:

Fed up of this now.

So, you know that thing were you try a boss for hours, and go on rage-tilt and piss and moan about it online, and then you go back the next morning and beat it in a few goes?

Onwards!

Spoiler

See you back here for the next boss.

I find my enjoyment of this seems to be decreasing the more of it I play. I don't like the map, and find it really difficult to read and see where it's worth exploring next, if at all. It also feels like most of the upgrades you get don't really open up many secret areas - at least not that I can tell so far, and I feel like I've got most of the powers. It just feels like a quick dash from item to item, funnelled along by the level design.

The bosses are ok - I don't like QTEs in boss fights at all, but on the whole they're good fun.

I don't know how I'm going to feel about this game when I finish it, but nowhere near some of the review 9/10 or 10/10 scores it's been getting,

13 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Bosses in this game seem to require counters. If you don’t counter, or don’t attack in the scene immediately following it (you can attack in QTE cutscenes), the boss will cycle back and start its pattern anew until you do the QTE again. Often “defeating” a boss means they’ll show their counter opportunity. 

Successfully completing counters can decimate the amount of time spent with a boss. You can dance around certain ones for fifteen minutes, only to crush them in mere seconds if you manage to RNG two counter opportunities following each other. 

Pretty sure counters are mandatory to beat the last boss. He turns golden at one point and you can’t hurt him with regular missiles or shots. 

13 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Excellent news.

Spoiler

Just got to the final boss and got battered. Good to know its easier to backtrack when you're at the end. 

Now that I'm at the final boss it's slipping down from a 9 to an 8/10. Mainly because of how fiddly and unresponsive the double jump is. Its especially frustrating on a previous boss that requires it to dodge attacks.

I bounced off this quite hard last night - the later EMMI encounters really start to grate and the window of opportunity is ever decreasing. It's about the only thing I don't like about this game, I'm OK with the challenge outside of these otherwise.

I can't make my mind up if the map is too big, or its just the fact that each area has two entry and exit points making the areas too fractured.

@HarryBizzle - I'd recommend leaving the exploration stuff until last; the game funnels you along fairly linearly, and if you go off the critical path you'll just get annoyed when you come across a block you can't break yet, or a door you can't open, then you'll have to backtrack to where you were. Obviously, if you see a pickup you can reach then go for it, but you might find the game less frustrating if you go with its flow.

I agree, however, that you pick up items a bit too quickly in this, especially towards the end. It makes each one seem incidental, as opposed to meaningful, because there are only a handful of situations where you need each one. Like the Ice Missile, for instance - I think I used it's freezing properties for one particular section, and then never again, and forgot I had it. Because upgrades come so thick and fast, you're also not given that much of an opportunity to practise with them, either. I didn't properly get the rhythm down for the continuous jumping, for example, until quite late in the game.

That said, I still don't think I've had my fill of this quite yet. Going to start up a hard mode run later and see how far I get before I've had enough, I think.

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Damn I need to play Returnal. 

It's very good, and very Prime-esque in a lot of ways. Once I'd finished it, however, I can't say I had any urge to play back through it again and track down the stuff I'd missed, unlike with this.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I've not bothered exploring much because what you say is true. I don't find that frustrating, though, just disappointing as I think it's a weaker game for it.

And I'm often forgetting certain powers, too. I think I've used the shinespark once? And completely forgot there are certain doors you need to cloak to get through. I kept trying to use the flash dash thing to get through it.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's very good, and very Prime-esque in a lot of ways. Once I'd finished it, however, I can't say I had any urge to play back through it again and track down the stuff I'd missed, unlike with this.

Yeah it’s not a Metroidvania even though it’s invokes Prime quite a bit you’re right. 

It’s not for everyone @Stanley as it’s pretty tough, but it’s dripping with atmosphere and once it gets it’s hooks in it‘s hard to think about anything else. 

Beaky Boi down. After getting relentlessly battered on phase 1 I did it first time after getting onto phase 2.

10:34 hours on the clock and 51% or so.

Spoiler

I got a picture of zero mission as a reward. Cheers!

It’s a very good game. It is rather short. I think it’s fair to comment on relative value. Undoubtedly it’s better than a lot of 50 hour epics churned out by Ubisoft etc but I doubt people are comparing those, they’re comparing BOTW or Mario Odyssey. It made me think back to when I was young and only had a few games a year at Christmas or Birthdays and how gutted I was to clock mega man 2 in a few days and have nothing new to play for months.

Fortunately I don’t have to worry about that now (plus I got it for £26 from Currys!) but I can definitely understand the sentiment.

Still, one of my GOTY’s for sure.

Oh, and that shine spark chaining is sorcery to me.