Jump to content
IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th


mdn2
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I'd struggle to go back to previous Metroids with a tanky Samus.  It might be anathema, but I would be all over a remake of Super Metroid and Zero Mission using this 'engine'

 

How on Earth you consider ZM Samus to be 'tanky' is beyond me. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

How on Earth you consider ZM Samus to be 'tanky' is beyond me. :D

 

everything is tanky now compared to Dread... 

 

btw I replayed ZM just recently on WiiU, it's still cracking - but how much more crackinger would it be Dreaded up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How hard is this game? I heard that it's not as hard as hollow knight but the bosses are super hard.

 

I loved HK, but I'm not great at platformers and found the bosses really tough - will it be really frustrating?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Delargey said:

How hard is this game? I heard that it's not as hard as hollow knight but the bosses are super hard.

 

I loved HK, but I'm not great at platformers and found the bosses really tough - will it be really frustrating?

 

I have the same question.

I love games, but I've recently had to admit I'm crap at them. It's only got worse down the years. My wife and foster son know not to watch anymore, because inevitably anger levels gradually rise in the room at watching such incompetence.

It doesn't matter for many sandbox things, but I don't know if I can be bothered with this if it is that hard. Some have said it isn't that bad, but really, anything requiring too much dexterity is pointless.


(Having said all the above, I found my other favourite game of the last five years or so - Super Mario Odyssey - a bit too easy, even most of the post credits stuff. So I'm aware of the benefit challenge has in a game.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Delargey said:

How hard is this game? I heard that it's not as hard as hollow knight but the bosses are super hard.

 

I loved HK, but I'm not great at platformers and found the bosses really tough - will it be really frustrating?

I’m not gonna lie the bosses are tough, at first, but it’s possible to learn them and beat them without ninja like reflexes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Delargey said:

How hard is this game? I heard that it's not as hard as hollow knight but the bosses are super hard.

 

I loved HK, but I'm not great at platformers and found the bosses really tough - will it be really frustrating?

 

I'd say HK has harder bosses.

 

That said, the bosses are weirdly difficult compared to the rest of the game; they all require specific patterns and occasionally the counters, while the rest of the game lets you brute force your way around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CS2x said:

 

I have the same question.

I love games, but I've recently had to admit I'm crap at them. It's only got worse down the years. My wife and foster son know not to watch anymore, because inevitably anger levels gradually rise in the room at watching such incompetence.

It doesn't matter for many sandbox things, but I don't know if I can be bothered with this if it is that hard. Some have said it isn't that bad, but really, anything requiring too much dexterity is pointless.


(Having said all the above, I found my other favourite game of the last five years or so - Super Mario Odyssey - a bit too easy, even most of the post credits stuff. So I'm aware of the benefit challenge has in a game.)

If it’s any consolation - I bounced off HK hard because I thought it was too hard. I found it really frustrating when I couldn’t time certain jumping things properly and the bosses were rock hard. I’m at the final boss of this one and mopping up items.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bosses in HK are much much harder I'd say and there is practically next to no actually platforming skill in this. The main bosses in this (bar the very last one) are actually quite easy once you learn the patterns of which in general there aren't very many, and they all throw health at you (quite literally). There are some mini bosses that are harder as they are a bit more free form but as long as you use the powers available for you they go down pretty easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The bosses in HK are much much harder I'd say and there is practically next to no actually platforming skill in this. The main bosses in this (bar the very last one) are actually quite easy once you learn the patterns of which in general there aren't very many, and they all throw health at you (quite literally). There are some mini bosses that are harder as they are a bit more free form but as long as you use the powers available for you they go down pretty easy.

 

The staff wielding soldier fights are quite similar in attack pattern to the Hornet fights too.

 

Overall I prefer Dread's tighter map design but Hollow Knight's combat is a lot more satisfying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

This is a far superior game to Hollow Knight. 

 

I find Hollow Knight too hard, but honestly from what I played of it and having watched bits of my son playing through it twice, I honestly don't think this holds a candle to Hollow Knight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

This is a far superior game to Hollow Knight. It's not THAT hard, some of the reviews have over stated that.

 

We had to do this eventually...

 

There are many reasons why Hollow Knight is the better game, but I'll give just one example - there's almost no exploration in Dread, it's very linear. Hollow Knight is a beautiful, intricate labyrinth, with exponential different paths through the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having said all this, I’m going to go back and start HK again…

 

but, and this is why I rate this and zero mission above super Metroid.  I don’t enjoy getting *really* lost.

 

I like working out how to get to a bit - but if I get lost for too long I start to get bored.  In HK, when combined with what I thought was really frustrating platforming bits, it spoiled it for me.

 

see also quick sand in Super Metroid. Argh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I prefer this to Hollow Knight as well. That's not to say it's a better game, but I find its sci-fi world way more appealing than Hollow Knight's insect world. Also, Samus has cooler abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

Loved the

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Twist.

 

no. I didn’t see it coming!

 

I suppose in hindsight, Beaky never called Samus ‘my lady’. Should’ve been a give away.

 


 

Spoiler

Wait, was the intention that he was impersonating ADAM right from the start?  I thought it was only that last time, where what he says is out of character enough for you (and Samus) to catch on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, hell, yes! Finally got the Morph Ball - Samus isn't Samus without it. Time to backtrack for a bunch of collectibles.

 

Yeah, I'm only getting to play in short bursts, so it's slow going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

The second last boss - I beat him on my third attempt. I was really satisfying to twat it all over the place and barely take any damage. 

Yeah, I got this guy earlier too, but it took me a few more attempts than you... 😅 I think it's a bit of a shame that boss has been recycled so many times.

I tried Beaky a few times, but left it for the time being. Should I go mop stuff up now, or can you look after?

 

@Jarik Yeah, I was wondering this earlier. I too had assumed that it was just that last time and it wasn't a full on

Spoiler

Master Miller situation. If it was Raven Beak the whole time, he did a masterful job and then totally fucking blew it. :lol:

 

As far as difficulty goes, I started again on Yuzu just to check it out, and totally whacked the first few bosses first time without issue, so it really is simply a case of learning the fights (and they're not that complicated). I'm far from a great gamer, very average I'd say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, smac said:

Oh, hell, yes! Finally got the Morph Ball - Samus isn't Samus without it. Time to backtrack for a bunch of collectibles.

 

Yeah, I'm only getting to play in short bursts, so it's slow going.

 

I would suggest pushing on with that new ability, but you do you. Just don't get yourself lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.