Jump to content
IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th


mdn2
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

25 hrs first run, I am very shit at this and have fuck all of the collectibles done loved being tested throughout.

Moaners honestly, jesus I don't know what people expect the standard of not moaning about games to be anymore, this game couldnt have been any better unless pornhub decided to throw me a metroid dread themed party took my wife away for the weekend and had a no cameras policy.

 

I had purposely ignored the reaction until I completed it last night for this reason too. Easily my GotY, and yes, probably my favourite Metroid game. Fun exploration (I loved the tease of showing you a new area through a portal and only giving you a few screens before forcing you back which it does once or twice), good rate of new abilities, and even the bosses were thoroughly enjoyable for someone who typically dislike them. The EMMI were the only disappointment to me really, seemed a bit underdone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Calling it a day at 100% item collection. Not going to beat the final boss because it's shit.

 

Spoiler

A boss that's all melee, so to balance that out they added a move that forces you to stand right next to him, and only his special can be countered? And then a second, even less interesting range-only phase after that? They really did decide to take the most difficult, rather than the most interesting, parts of the game to build an end boss around.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far I'm enjoying this. I can agree with people's feelings on being funnelled around a bit (I found the same with Fusion), certainly from my few hours experience with the game.

 

I like the atmosphere and aesthetic, but I really don't like when 3D environments have corridors I and areas that are within my reach that I can't actually explore. Surely there are better ways to make use of 3D environments with a 2D plane of movement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Calling it a day at 100% item collection. Not going to beat the final boss because it's shit.

 

  Hide contents

A boss that's all melee, so to balance that out they added a move that forces you to stand right next to him, and only his special can be countered? And then a second, even less interesting range-only phase after that? They really did decide to take the most difficult, rather than the most interesting, parts of the game to build an end boss around.

 


I still haven’t beat it, but I can pretty reliably get to stage 2 with almost all my health… I quite enjoy running up during a taunt and countering him.

 

5 missiles at a time makes it go quite quick…

 

im getting better at stage 2 as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

25 hrs first run, I am very shit at this and have fuck all of the collectibles done loved being tested throughout.

Moaners honestly, jesus I don't know what people expect the standard of not moaning about games to be anymore, this game couldnt have been any better unless pornhub decided to throw me a metroid dread themed party took my wife away for the weekend and had a no cameras policy.

 

Absolutely yes. Anyone remember the old RE4 thread love-in? You wouldn't get that ever again on rllmuk 2021. Would be full of sharp elbows drive-by's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched a bit of a 0% speed run and it really was something to behold. It seems if you crouch and spin round in circles it breaks the EMMIs. 
 

It’s a shame this fell a bit fly for me as I find myself really itching for a Metroidvania. I might give Hollow Knight a go if it’s still on Game Pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched a bit of a 0% speed run and it really was something to behold. It seems if you crouch and spin round in circles it breaks the EMMIs. 
 

It’s a shame this fell a bit fly for me as I find myself really itching for a Metroidvania. I might give Hollow Knight a go if it’s still on Game Pass. 

 

Hollow Knight and Guacamelee! 2 are both on there currently. (Be warned that Guac2 has the same rhythm/flow as Dread, but you do get a perfected combat system in return.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

Hollow Knight and Guacamelee! 2 are both on there currently. (Be warned that Guac2 has the same rhythm/flow as Dread, but you do get a perfected combat system in return.)

 

 

I've played that latter and didn't think it was as good as the first. It gets too bogged down in the combat, I thought. The combat is very repetitive and the fights go on far too long. I like the tricky platforming sections far more.

 

I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps is probably the best 'vania I've played in ages. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

I've played that latter and didn't think it was as good as the first. It gets too bogged down in the combat, I thought. The combat is very repetitive and the fights go on far too long. I like the tricky platforming sections far more.

 

I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps is probably the best 'vania I've played in ages. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

 

I kind of dislike Ori as it's more of a Disney-fied Super Meat Boy, but that's just me. 🙃 Agree on the Guac2 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Seems as though we’re at the ‘ace game is actually rubbish’ stage that we always go through.

 

 

We seriously aren’t, one person has said it’s a 6/10. Most people are still claiming it’s a really good game. However, amazingly for a discussion forum, they are discussing the issues they had with it. Just because every post isn’t OMG GOTY, doesn’t mean people are shitting on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Calling it a day at 100% item collection. Not going to beat the final boss because it's shit.

 

  Hide contents

A boss that's all melee, so to balance that out they added a move that forces you to stand right next to him, and only his special can be countered? And then a second, even less interesting range-only phase after that? They really did decide to take the most difficult, rather than the most interesting, parts of the game to build an end boss around.

 


That’s not the end boss ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched a bit of a 0% speed run and it really was something to behold. It seems if you crouch and spin round in circles it breaks the EMMIs. 
 

It’s a shame this fell a bit fly for me as I find myself really itching for a Metroidvania. I might give Hollow Knight a go if it’s still on Game Pass. 


How on Earth is 0% even possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, scottcr said:


I still haven’t beat it, but I can pretty reliably get to stage 2 with almost all my health… I quite enjoy running up during a taunt and countering him.

 

5 missiles at a time makes it go quite quick…

 

im getting better at stage 2 as well. 

 

It's not hard - I just went off and did the whole thing with zero damage in phase one. It's just kind of tedious compared to all the other bosses and the range of stuff you can do with your abilities when you've been item chasing.

 

So, that's a wrap for real this time. It's not the most important thing about the game but because nobody else has focused on it I'll mention how atrocious the writing is. Not even in the sense of it being a shoddy story, although it is, but in the sense of it being really rough first-draft copy. The end credits even give the credit for voice editing as "voice edition", a weird conjugation that shouldn't have passed through proof reading.

 

It's good to have Metroid back, but if we're going through a "people who criticise this are shitheads" phase I'll be checking out of the thread for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

 

  Hide contents

Holding the fire button in the five minutes between getting the cool suit and having it taken away again isn't a boss. 😛

 


 

Spoiler

The real end boss is the friends we made along the way.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

 

It's not hard - I just went off and did the whole thing with zero damage in phase one. It's just kind of tedious compared to all the other bosses and the range of stuff you can do with your abilities when you've been item chasing.

 

Oddly enough, that fight reminded me most of SR's waiting-cycle Metroid bosses. With most bosses, they've fixed the "now wait until you are allowed to act" boss patterns that plagued Samus Returns, but for this boss specifically it's like they didn't have time to fix it or wanted a "cool reference".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So...

 

Spoiler

...what's the deal with the hologram of the starship that appears in the background of one area? It looks like the BSL ship. Was that meant to imply that the bad guy had been monitoring the Federation mission to SR-388? Or was it just some random thing?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

So...

 

  Hide contents

...what's the deal with the hologram of the starship that appears in the background of one area? It looks like the BSL ship. Was that meant to imply that the bad guy had been monitoring the Federation mission to SR-388? Or was it just some random thing?

 

 

Spoiler

I only noticed this upon restarting the game, but it's a GaFe ship.

 

I'm still bothered that Mother Brains/Aurora Units are commonplace, but nobody actually wants to acknowledge this nor explain why the Space Pirates had one as their leader. Getting the Omega Shot from an AU is also a bit of a Corruption easter egg, but still, why is this here? Was Beaky recreating conditions from Zebes? Or SR-388? Or all situations?

And that's on top of the horrendous writing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

"I no longer need your DNA, because I can make clones of you!"

 

Bro that means you already have her DNA to begin with. You could've skipped so much plotting.

 

 

Spoiler

Oh god yes. I mean the entire thing builds up to her needing to unlock her latent abilities first for being the Last Metroid(TM) et al, but then that line just makes it all useless. Why the hell did he need the EMMIs then? Why did he strip her powers and put them in the EMMIs? Or didn't he? Didn't he need to feed more X to Samus to make her more Metroid-ish? But why do that as it's blatantly clear she already went full metroid in the intro?

 

I don't think Sakamoto is good with plots.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler

And without the EMMIs he needn't have wasted all that time building EMMI Zones with EMMI Valves and other EMMI-specific hardware. Given that there was just Strong Bird and Smart Bird that must've taken ages.

 

I don't think anyone took a Writing credit for this did they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completed.

 

17:37(!!!) and 95%
 

I think the final baddie took me a total of maybe 10-12 attempts. His 3rd phase was really easy. It was also quick when using super storm missles and getting all the counters.

 

to put it in perspective - I still haven’t finished SR because Ridley is too hard for me.

 

amazing ending sequence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

Oddly enough, that fight reminded me most of SR's waiting-cycle Metroid bosses. With most bosses, they've fixed the "now wait until you are allowed to act" boss patterns that plagued Samus Returns, but for this boss specifically it's like they didn't have time to fix it or wanted a "cool reference".


but you need spin jump, power bomb, storm missiles and flash dash thing to beat this guy… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've now re-downloaded Hollow Knight to re-asses it.  I gave up on it for being 'too hard'.  I got hoplessley and not enjoyably lost and the controls around platforming did my head in - I also found the bosses really hard.  Be interesting to see now that my Gameskillz are l33t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

 

Yeah but you need to wait until they offer up their counterable move during their invulnerable moments.

 

aye - stage 1 and 3 need you to do the counters - but I enjoy them so they didn't bother me.  Looked cool. I'm a shallow person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.