IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

aye - stage 1 and 3 need you to do the counters - but I enjoy them so they didn't bother me.  Looked cool. I'm a shallow person.

Oh yeah it doesn't bother me either, I just meant that's likely what @Cyhwuhx was referring to.

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

I got 95% items - there's still 4 chozo gallery pictures to unlock and I've only unlocked 1 end game picture.   How do I get the rest?

It's tied to completion time and difficulty; under 4 hours on Normal and Hard unlocks the lot.

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hhahahaha - 17 hours... I've got a way to go.  Although I'm definitely up for running through it again as fast as I can.  Total time playing the game was >45 hours according to the switch.

For my Hard mode playthrough I ignored any optional upgrades and reloaded from the save point after each death and still only had ~10 minutes to spare. I haven't watched any speedruns yet so keen to see what's possible.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

So, that's a wrap for real this time. It's not the most important thing about the game but because nobody else has focused on it I'll mention how atrocious the writing is. Not even in the sense of it being a shoddy story, although it is, but in the sense of it being really rough first-draft copy. 

I have to wonder how much this is down to Sakamoto’s actual writing, versus the translation just being crap.

Other M and Fusion both have issues with their translations, where the overal gist of the story is translated. But due to various nuances getting missed, entire characters come out very different and some pretty major story beats aren’t communicated well. Leading to some horrendous plotholes.

1 minute ago, joffocakes said:

For my Hard mode playthrough I ignored any optional upgrades and reloaded from the save point after each death and still only had ~10 minutes to spare. I haven't watched any speedruns yet so keen to see what's possible.

Me and the boy found a 100 minute one - watched about 10 minutes of it and it's *mental* - the guy is basically sliding and bouncing around everywhere.  Quite impressive to watch.

Finished this over the weekend and whilst I enjoyed it I found that I butted heads with it a little too much to really love it to be honest. Reading back a little through the thread I can see that there's probably a lot I missed, so take with a grain of salt from someone with no experience of Metroid (not played any of the others), was unfamiliar with it's tricks and systems, and who was probably bad at it :)

I got very, very stuck in the early stages not knowing that my path would frequently be blocked by breakable blocks that I couldn't really notice any "tell" for. I guess the tell was that they were in the path of the obvious route but because I wasn't expecting it to be so linear I thought it was encouraging me to explore but I ended up just hitting what I thought were dead ends in every direction over and over. This really was hugely frustrating and very much got me off on the wrong foot with the whole game - I'm used to cracks in a breakable wall or a different shade of colour or something..

I also couldn't really tell if I was damaging enemies sometimes leaving me spending ages either wondering if I was close to the end of a fight/stage or if I had in fact made 0 progress, or looking for other ways to do damage other than my weapons. There's a bit in the final boss for example where...

Spoiler

...it turns 3d and the controls are taken away from you, but you can still fire the gun! I can't remember what possessed me to try it but thank god i did! :D I would have been there for (even more) hours.

Finally, and most fussily, whenever I play a 2D game with an analogue controller I can't help but be put off by the bit of my brain that wants to be super sure than when I think I'm pressing down, I'm definitely pressing down, and not down + left/right. Obviously this is partly being a bit shit at analogue sticks, and I know it sounds super fussy, but I'm getting old dammit and I just want to use good D-Pads for 2D games and that's not the way the world it going :blah:. I didn't feel like I had clicked with the controls even after finishing it; little things like double-jump not working unless you were running when you first jumped really got me as well. Was still getting caught out by that on the final boss.

Anyway on to the positives; I loved how it threw power ups at you once you got going and the cool systems and gameplay they open up was really nice. I barely had enough time to commit one power to muscle memory before being hit with another one a lot of the time - and in that sense it felt very streamlined and like they'd cut out any filler they could. Which is very refreshing.

And I thought the real stars of the show were the bosses. Every boss or mini-boss (not really sure which was which - doesn't matter I suppose) beat me up at the start but gave you just enough to get a foothold and go from there. And constantly being taken on that journey from "this is impossible" to beating them was extremely satisfying. They felt like the best balanced collection of bosses in any game I've played almost. At least, definitely up there.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

…it’s the the same as all the EMMI fights.

It isn't. Those are very specific and use a temporarily upgraded weapon. The 3D cutscenes with bosses are different and specifically require a counter to unload in the boss during the cutscene, making them almost a requirement to defeat the boss normally, instead of just waiting for them to approach.

Probably the best bosses I can remember from a game - at least bosses where I felt as though they started really hard and 'ohnoes boz fyte' to absolutely dominating the thing.  After a lot of what I had read, I really expected the last boss to be harder, but I bet his 3rd form first time - because I was tuned into how he moved and had trained against all the others up to that point.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

I don't think there's a single bit in the EMMI fights that's light the boss-battle cut-scene attacks is there? It gives you a fancy camera angle when you're aiming but you have to prompt that by actually, y'know, pressing the aim button.

the escape death counter?

Oh right, the ability to counter in a cut-scene is telegraphed well enough by those (and the tooltip hints and ADAM messages) that it was never a problem. But I can see why it would possibly never occur to John0 that you can shoot. Especially as in some of those QTE cut-scenes Samus shoots by herself.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don't think there's a single bit in the EMMI fights that's light the boss-battle cut-scene attacks is there? It gives you a fancy camera angle when you're aiming but you have to prompt that by actually, y'know, pressing the aim button.

Not the cut scene attacks. The actual final, final boss.

Nobody online seems to know exactly what triggers the

Spoiler

teleporters to unlock...and in hard mode I'm not sure if they will. Any ideas?

Edit: ok, nm, I think merely reaching the last area does it. The next time you use one thereafter, a message will pop up.

6 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Hide contents

Edit: ok, nm, I think merely reaching the last area does it. The next time you use one thereafter, a message will pop up.

It tells you when that happens....

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Hide contents

Unlocking the final area didn't unlock them all for me. I think you have to have used all if the teleports in the game at least once, and some are off the critical path.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Unlocking the final area didn't unlock them all for me. I think you have to have used all if the teleports in the game at least once, and some are off the critical path.

Nah, I had multiple teleporters unused at the end and it still unlocked. It’s tied to abilities I think. 

22 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

On the last boss and I can walk through phase 1 like I’m in the matrix. 

Phase 2 though. I can see the dodges but not sure how I’m supposed to be finding the time to get enough damage in whilst doing so. 

Have L held down constantly to activate your tracking rockets and wiggle the right stick in his general direction to tag him as many times as possible, then release. Rinse and repeat for the entire fight, pretty much.

I wouldn't try to use storm missiles on phase 2 Beaky, it takes too long. Just get singles in when you can. There's a window after pretty much all of his attacks. You can get at least a couple rockets in each time. 

I just took him down again on my second attempt. 😎

Spoiler

3142034C-8F16-44D9-9F8C-CB15EAD319F1.thumb.jpeg.593aee7d7603c38679c7cbd7fc365a34.jpeg

Not sure I'll try for sub 4 hours just for a few jpegs. 

6 hours ago, Yiggy said:

On the last boss and I can walk through phase 1 like I’m in the matrix. 

Phase 2 though. I can see the dodges but not sure how I’m supposed to be finding the time to get enough damage in whilst doing so. 

I just used storm missiles where I could… IIRC, he doesn’t take anywhere near as long as first phase and there’s no counter to worry about

Just hit my first 

Spoiler

Robot chozo warrior

After a big chunk of exposition. Any tips? No real patterns to exploit, and he has some pretty quick attacks, and closes distance quickly.

Mostly been trying to dash to keep distance, traversing the scenery to do the same, and rocketing his face as he chases.

17 minutes ago, smac said:

Just hit my first 

Reveal hidden contents

Robot chozo warrior

After a big chunk of exposition. Any tips? No real patterns to exploit, and he has some pretty quick attacks, and closes distance quickly.

Mostly been trying to dash to keep distance, traversing the scenery to do the same, and rocketing his face as he chases.

Spoiler

As far as I remember I just traversed the scenery like you say and rocket it when you're at a distance or when it's chasing you. I used jump followed by dash to jump up and over it when it backed me into a corner; I think that will dodge all the attacks. I think you can parry the blue slash attack, but can definitely be done without that.

30 minutes ago, smac said:

Just hit my first 

Hide contents

Robot chozo warrior

jump and double dash