IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Really enjoyed this but I'm out on the final boss. I normally hate boss fights but I liked most in this. This guy is just a bullet sponge though.

I didn't find the game linear, I was lost plenty of times. I got about 90% of the items as well.

Overall very good but I think I preferred Axiom Verge 2. That's probably due to a lack of boss fights I guess.

2 hours ago, carleton said:

Really enjoyed this but I'm out on the final boss.

Don’t quit now. You can do it. I managed it and I’m shit at bosses, and have 53-year-old, glacial reactions.

Watch a few YT vids, be patient. Phase 2 is the only tricky bit as you can constantly regenerate health and rockets in Phases 1 and 3 from destroying the orbs. Make sure to focus on nailing the second of the two melee parries when he beckons you in phase 1, and rocket him immediately after, that will launch the 3D scene, attack throughout. Do that twice and into phase 2. Then just learn the dodges and chip away. Phase 3 is simpler, very much phase 1, but shorter. Just beware the gold orb, though you have a weapon to destroy that easily.

2 hours ago, carleton said:

Really enjoyed this but I'm out on the final boss. I normally hate boss fights but I liked most in this. This guy is just a bullet sponge though.

I didn't find the game linear, I was lost plenty of times. I got about 90% of the items as well.

Overall very good but I think I preferred Axiom Verge 2. That's probably due to a lack of boss fights I guess.

He's honestly not that hard - I'm terrible at games... he's got very predictable moves that can all be avoided.  Lots of storm missiles and power bombs and you're sorted.  When I first faced him, I only had 5 power bombs which was no use - would definitely recommend seeking out as many of them as you can.  

3 hours ago, carleton said:

I normally hate boss fights but I liked most in this. This guy is just a bullet sponge though.

In case you don't know, once he's turned gold, you can't hurt him anymore. Maybe that's what's giving you that impression, because he's not that strong. You're basically just waiting for a chance to parry him to move to the next round. Save your missiles.

The boss fights in this seem very manageable to me. By that I mean it's just a case of learning what to do. Yeah, what @scottcr said. Most of his moves have pretty obvious wind-up animations (although I'm still hopeless at recognising the big red-fist lunge). I struggled with Escue more.

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

He's honestly not that hard - I'm terrible at games... he's got very predictable moves that can all be avoided.  Lots of storm missiles and power bombs and you're sorted.  When I first faced him, I only had 5 power bombs which was no use - would definitely recommend seeking out as many of them as you can.  

Boss spoilers:

Spoiler

I used storm missiles on my first playthrough but was surprised to find that his first phase only requires 9 regular missiles, then a counter, then a rapid mashing of the regular fire button during the counter cutscene, one more missile and parry/mash again. Skips the golden armour part entirely.

I used mostly storm missiles for the flying phase, holding R at all times since it latches a few lock-ons while space-jumping around. Dashing under whenever he looks set to do the downward dive, machine gun or big laser neatly avoids all of them. The low, horizontal flying attack is best avoided with a running slide. Haven't checked how speedrunners are dealing with that flying phase yet though.

Thinking strongly of binning this off to Cex after work. Basically, for the shinespark puzzles the controls are too laggy to really pull off the manoeuvres to do most of the time. So always low on missiles and (particularly) energy, making getting through EMMI zones, let alone boss battles, extremely tough. If the final boss is as difficult as I’ve heard, I’m probably better off admitting defeat rather than giving myself a stress headache every time I play the bloody game.

4 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Thinking strongly of binning this off to Cex after work. Basically, for the shinespark puzzles the controls are too laggy to really pull off the manoeuvres to do most of the time. So always low on missiles and (particularly) energy, making getting through EMMI zones, let alone boss battles, extremely tough. If the final boss is as difficult as I’ve heard, I’m probably better off admitting defeat rather than giving myself a stress headache every time I play the bloody game.

Is this using the Pro Controller?

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

are you playing handheld or on a tv - if the later, are you using game-mode?  If there's one criticism you can't lay at the controls is that they are laggy.  They are absolutely *precise*.

You don't need to do the shinespark puzzles btw - they're a bonus.  But if you're finding it really hard now maybe it's for the best and the game isn't for you.

Meanwhile, I'm about to chuck Hollow Knight in the bin for the second time because it's so infuriating and it's doing my head in with huge distances between save points and extraordinarily frustrating fighting controls.  I was quite happy exploring a new area, when I jumped - hit a creature I had no chance of seeing, which made me bounce off it in and into poisonous water I had no idea was there... then sends me back about 15 minutes worth of game time.  Now that's annoying.

8 minutes ago, scottcr said:

are you playing handheld or on a tv - if the later, are you using game-mode?  If there's one criticism you can't lay at the controls is that they are laggy.  They are absolutely *precise*.

You don't need to do the shinespark puzzles btw - they're a bonus.  But if you're finding it really hard now maybe it's for the best and the game isn't for you.

Meanwhile, I'm about to chuck Hollow Knight in the bin for the second time because it's so infuriating and it's doing my head in with huge distances between save points and extraordinarily frustrating fighting controls.  I was quite happy exploring a new area, when I jumped - hit a creature I had no chance of seeing, which made me bounce off it in and into poisonous water I had no idea was there... then sends me back about 15 minutes worth of game time.  Now that's annoying.

I've been playing handheld most of the time - with either Joy-cons of the Hori Split Pad Pro - and there's no lag, and I'm the kind of person who plays retro games on a CRT to get away from added lag. 

It's totally the Pro Controller as well. In lag tests it often comes up bad, with loads of additional lag. Way, way worse than the PS/Xbox ones. 

For me, the Switch is basically an amazing handheld machine and where it shines the best. 

Also, yes. Hollow Knight is basically a Metroidvania scaled up. You lose that "untie a knot" feel to the level design where it's one big puzzle in itself and that's replaced with a sense of scale and getting yourself lost in an adventure. HK is great, but it's a different vibe and - for me - no where near the satisfaction of playing any of the real Metroid games, which are far tighter. Still a great game though. 

22 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is this using the Pro Controller?

Pro controller. I’ve only even used my Switch docked to the TV, apart from with Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and with turn-based JRPGs (Sega Ages Phantasy Star).

Tried Metroid in handheld mode to see if it gets round the lag, but honestly the graphics are far too small for me to see what I’m doing on the (non-OLED) Switch screen. Find the Joycons horrible to play with for quick-response-based action games as well.

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Pro controller. I’ve only even used my Switch docked to the TV, apart from with Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and with turn-based JRPGs (Sega Ages Phantasy Star).

Tried Metroid in handheld mode to see if it gets round the lag, but honestly the graphics are far too small for me to see what I’m doing on the (non-OLED) Switch screen. Find the Joycons horrible to play with for quick-response-based action games as well.

There isn't any lag?!

34 minutes ago, Dukesy said:

Finally smashed the beaky bastard. What a game!! Loved every moment. 

God me too! Took me about three hours I think. Although once I learnt the tip for phase three did it first time. 

not sure if I could hack playing another Metroid if this was consisted an easy one (although tbh my only major spike was the last boss)

Done beaky and wrapped it up tonight as well. Final boss probably took me about 4 hours overall and loved the stuff after that. Always felt like you were progressing and getting a bit further on the final boss. I could walk the first 2 phases in the end and the third was probably the easiest to master of them all. Amazing final credits music too. 

I’m on about 40% items and I have no interest in going back to hoover up. I just  enjoyed the whole ride. 

Yea that’s a photo of my screen. What of it. 😃

07B5D282-27AA-4767-BE69-A99163423991.jpeg
I reckon I must have done 30 hours+ overall with all the reloads. Stupendous value for money. 

17 hours ago, scottcr said:

I've bounced off Hollow Knight a couple of times, I love the atmosphere and the exploration but the bosses can do one. Also the save points are always slightly too far from the boss rooms so my overriding memory of the game is just endlessly trudging through the same handful of rooms between a save point and a boss room in order to have another go. It's all just so unnecessary.

Metroid Dread pretty much checkpoints right outside each boss room and it's a hell of a lot better for that reason alone. Also the bosses are genuinely brilliant, that helps too.

12 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Well, in my case, its probably down to having to use a TV from 2012 and playing with a Pro Controller.

There might be something in-between the Switch and the Pro Controller. Your leg for instance (not joking). The Bluetooth connection is super weak on Switch, so try to keep a direct open path between controller and console. This effect is even more pronounced with the Joy-Cons.

Also, been rummaging around with a new run and discussing some stuff with a few friends and yes, it's increasingly becoming more likely there is a hidden ZM-style veteran path. Not just sequence breaking through glitches (though those are apparently floating around as well), but genuine 'valid' mechanical moves to break out of the tightly knit main path.

It's rather tricky though, so it seems the normal and veteran path are both made more extreme, compared to the difference of both in ZM where it was more akin to finding a few well hidden blocks to start it off.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There might be something in-between the Switch and the Pro Controller. Your leg for instance (not joking). The Bluetooth connection is super weak on Switch, so try to keep a direct open path between controller and console. This effect is even more pronounced with the Joy-Cons.

Really? Didn’t know that before – thanks. That makes sense in retrospect, as I went out on launch day to get a Pro Controller partially because I couldn’t get the docked Switch to reliably pick up the detached Joycons…

Finished it this afternoon with 37% item collection and about 7hr 40min on the clock. It is definitely more Fusion 2 than Super 2, but this is no bad thing. I think I've always liked the idea of getting lost on an alien world more than the reality of doing so, meaning the tighter, more linear approach of Dread is something that I view as a positive rather than a negative.

My one main gripe is that Samus' upgrades are pretty standard for a Metroid game and don't really introduce anything really new. Whether this is the natural consequence of being the first numbered 2D sequel in almost two decades I'm not sure, but hopefully Dread will sell well enough that we see another entry in a few years that is a bit more 'out-there' in terms of settings, weapons and abilities.