IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you speedrun any Metroids yourself @Cyhwuhx?

(that time is impressive btw)

Nah, well, not at that level. I tend to replay them and shave time off but skills are nowhere near that. Way more interested in the sequence breaking involved.

Just now, Cyhwuhx said:

Nah, well, not at that level. I tend to replay them and shave time off but skills are nowhere near that. Way more interested in the sequence breaking involved.

They’re unbelievably dedicated, and skilled, these people aren’t they. I find speed runs fascinating to watch. 

It's the only reason why I didn't write off Twitch when it started. :D Still tend to have some Metroid speedruns on as background noise during a quiet evening or something like that. Love to see them completely skin and de-bone a game like that.

Closest I got to skilful play was a <15% run of ZM (which made the Mother Brain fight bloody intense), but I'm afraid that's the extent of my abilities.

I just played through the demo of this, even after all the positive reviews etc I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it is - so good in fact I’m struggling to not hit the buy option on the e shop but going to be sisnsible and pick it up from Curry’s for £31!

New report from Japan this week and Dread has had a 55% drop compared to sales last week. Slighty higher than the 48% drop Samus Returns had in its third week, but the numbers for Dread started from a much higher place, so last week the game sold exactly 9.999 copies. That brings its total retail amount to 119.018 sold copies at retail.

For reference here are the LTD sales of other Metroid games in Japan so far: 

Metroid [Famicom Disk System] - 1.040.000

Super Metroid - ~500.000

Metroid Fusion  -  155.528

Metroid Dread - 119.018

Metroid Prime: Hunters - 90.028

Metroid: Zero Mission - 85.045

Metroid Prime - 78.384

Metroid: Other M -75.578

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 74.647

Famicom Mini 23: Metroid - 50.353

Metroid: Samus Returns - 42.437

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 40.355

New Play Control! Metroid Prime - 20.607

Metroid Prime: Pinball - 15.541

New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 12.427

Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 6.090

One thing I forgot to mention is that it seems Nintendo underestimated demand for the game and that the game has been sold out at various retailers. Whilst it doesn't seem that it'll reach the heights of Super Metroid (let alone Metroid's insane number), the longterm sales expactation has been raised from 150k max LTD to 250k and maybe even 300k. That'll be an amazing result. Keep in mind that the current physical number does not include digital sales. In the past Nintendo's games have shown to have digital rates of around 30% to 40% due to the popular voucher program(that's still ongoing in Japan). Considering the sellouts, it gives Dread a fair chance at having achieved 40% digital, which would bring the total sales thus far to just above Fusion's LTD number.

Well, that’s me done.

0F038A6D-11C3-423B-B76C-3861E9FAA9AB.thumb.jpeg.383271ffc5c12c2bfdcbfbdecb50f173.jpeg

Seems like @Yiggy got through it five minutes quicker than me :). Managed to poke around in every nook and cranny and eventually - with much cursing - complete the shinesparks.

Good game, I thought. Liked it very much. Some of the bosses felt a touch too bullet-spongy at times but they were well designed and very satisfying. I definitely think on the whole it was a pretty challenging game.

Now I’ve completed it I can go and thumb through the art book I got with my limited edition. Had been holding off on it in case of spoilers!

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Mark Brown on how Metroid Dread’s level design keeps pushing you forward:

An excellent summary from Mark, as ever, and he absolutely nails the reason why Dread’s level design and progression is worthy of admiration, while being utterly patronising at the same time. 

Metroidvania games derive their sense of progression and player empowerment through the unlocking of abilities - these abilities in turn allow you to open new areas of the game world. It’s up to you to find those places, but the sense of empowerment comes from the knowledge that it is within your power to make that progress. Dread significantly curtails this sense of empowerment by introducing loads of one-way doors, completely locking off most of the game world and funnelling the player down a path of the developer’s design - not the player’s. So no matter what the abilities you pick up, you can’t use them as you see fit - you can only use them in a specific, pre-determined scenario. 

The effort to craft that one-way system through such a sprawling, interlocking game world, and blending it into the context of the environments so artfully, is truly impressive, but it’s too overt for my tastes. 

The missile and energy tanks are only there to act as collectables really, aren't they? On previous Metroids I'd find myself hoovering up energy and missiles before pushing on so that I don't die right before a save room, or end up with four missiles outside of a locked missile door. Here's it's just so trivial with these recharge points on nearly every corner. Is anyone actually using these missiles anyway? I'm only using them on bosses, and even at that I'm only expending about a third to half of the supply. It's the same with the enemies - I'm at the end of the game and I can't remember any tricky bastards in the slightest.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

The missile and energy tanks are only there to act as collectables really, aren't they? On previous Metroids I'd find myself hoovering up energy and missiles before pushing on so that I don't die right before a save room, or end up with four missiles outside of a locked missile door. Here's it's just so trivial with these recharge points on nearly every corner. Is anyone actually using these missiles anyway? I'm only using them on bosses, and even at that I'm only expending about a third to half of the supply. It's the same with the enemies - I'm at the end of the game and I can't remember any tricky bastards in the slightest.

There comes a point in the game where I started using missiles as my main weapon :D

I haven't enjoyed the bosses all that much, they're ok but I just wanted to get past them, I prefer the smaller boss fights where you need to make use of your abilities.

Spoiler

And by that I mean only the Space Pirates :)

Also the move set in this game is absolutely incredible, I understand the points made about the (masterful) funneling / guiding at times but it must be so difficult to balance given the size of the game. I think the feeling of exploration in Metroid Prime is my favourite but this game is up there with the top Metroid games for me.

I'm not being funnelled as well as I'd like. 

I'll forgo the spoiler for the item. Guess what? The game has a Space Jump skill and I just got it, but trying to work out where to go next...

Spoiler

I used my multi missile skill to open the pathway to the transit to Ghavoran but when I go there, I can't seem to figure out how to proceed any further. There's a green teleport I can see, but the multi missile door is facing the other way, so I must get there from somewhere else.

I've gone back to Ferenia to see if I can Space Jump anywhere.

I like the bosses in this game for the most part. Not insanely easy, but moves telegraphed well enough so a few goes will do the trick. Struggling with one though at the moment after getting the space jump. Hard to dodge those waves!

I'm not so sure about the EMMIs though. Feels like a bit of a chore most of the time. 

7 hours ago, Blunted said:

I'm at exactly the same bit. Have had a few goes but took a break because I was getting frustrated. The black mouth stuff when it's attached to the wall was causing me grief.

6 hours ago, smac said:

Timing your jumps or making sure you get plenty of air - wall jumps plus air dashes keep you aloft until the floor gunk subsides.

Also, if you stand near it when it’s charging you can coax it in to shooting only on a nearby part of the floor, so you can attack safely from further away.

I finished this last night with about 75% and made a start on trying to hit 100%. I got up to 90% and, bloody hell, some of them are tough. There’s one in particular the seems to need 4 or 5 speed-boosted wall jumps. I just couldn’t consistently get the timing right so only ever managed two or three. It was gone midnight which can’t have helped but it felt harder than the final boss!