IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

This is really coming together now, especially that I have the freedom to explore the entire map. Things are feeling much more ‘traditional’ now. I don’t think I’ve ever began to love a game so late in before. No real desire to 100% this run, I’ll do that in hard mode.

The only annoying bits left are the awkward loading sequences and the various performance dips where they shouldn’t really be happening. The aliasing thanks to the Switch screen really stands out at times, although that’s not the game’s fault. I’m hoping things are ultra optimised as they stand - maybe that will send some messages Nintendo’s way in that we need a clear generational step forwards with their next hardware.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Counteroffer: the next Metroid should use a high performance 2D art engine

I played a bit of Zero Mission on the GBA the other day. The extremely tight pixel art is as perfect as it gets for that resolution. It hasn’t aged one bit.

But no, Dread is pretty fucking great now. I’ll have to replay Fusion again to see where I’ll want to place it on my list.

18 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Someone on Facebook Marketplace was flogging this for £20 so I bit his hand off.  It's great isn't it.  Proof that while Microsoft have Gamepass and PS5 is a big powerhouse, Nintendo make the best games.

I’ve never understood the line of thought which says get a PlayStation or Xbox and then a Nintendo as a backup. Every Nintendo console has been the best place to play games, no matter the generation.

It should be get the Nintendo then something else as backup. 

Downloading the demo of this.  Played MP on the GC to Ridley but never got past him and then when the Wii Remasters came out I bought them but didn’t have the time to sit  and play so I’m hoping that having this on the Switch will mean I can just dip in and out.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Samus unlocks an E tank

Oof, I always felt like there was one short because the max tanks doesn't quite line up with the bar below.

Something I've been wondering about the X parasites...does absorbing them ever prevent them from floating off and turning into new creature? Or is it predetermined which will and won't transform? I'm leaning towards the latter, but it's hard to be sure. Edit: Yeah, it seems pretty obvious now. As much as you jump about you can't absorb them if they're scripted to mutate.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Are there any amiibo, bar the Wolf Link one, that have an appreciable impact on gameplay?

The Zelda Amiibo in Breath of the Wild which give you a random chance of getting the classic outfits also completely break the difficulty of the game because they give you a load of resources at the same time which can be far in advance of what you currently have in game.

4 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Oof, I always felt like there was one short because the max tanks doesn't quite line up with the bar below.

That’s shit. I’m going to have to flash an NFC card in order to satisfy my OCD when I go for the 100%.

I got this just over a week ago and just finished it with 74% items (the only other Metroid game I have finished is Prime), I enjoyed it more than any other new game I have played for years that isn't Animal Crossing. The EMMI things/repeated deaths weren't that annoying in the end despite me expecting them to be, and the boss fights allowed clear progress with practise and put up a bit of a challenge which I liked, despite getting close to a bit of a boss rush as the game progressed.

My son (just turned 4) has started his own save file after watching and interrupting me all the time. He's stuck on the very first E.M.M.I, but making rapid progress. He made it all the way there with only vocal assistance from me along the way.

It requires a lot of patience watching him struggle coordinating everything with his tiny hands - he's just about getting his head around wall jumping and switching the momentum left/right.

On 01/11/2021 at 06:17, Fallows said:

I played a bit of Zero Mission on the GBA the other day. The extremely tight pixel art is as perfect as it gets for that resolution. It hasn’t aged one bit.

My benchmark Metroid games are Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission on GBA. Both amazing games.

18 hours ago, Fallows said:

My son (just turned 4) has started his own save file after watching and interrupting me all the time. He's stuck on the very first E.M.M.I, but making rapid progress. He made it all the way there with only vocal assistance from me along the way.

It requires a lot of patience watching him struggle coordinating everything with his tiny hands - he's just about getting his head around wall jumping and switching the momentum left/right.

18 hours ago, smac said:

:huh:

He's going to be handing your arse to you in multiplayer before you know it!

My son finished Mario Odyssey at 4. Kids these days! 

Ok, so I got this. And I'm up to the last boss fight, so I'm reasonably sure that these assessments will be my final ones.

It's pretty great - it has the Metroid atmosphere nailed, and the build in confidence as you gain powers on this strange planet is nicely paced. But the EMMIs are a huge annoyance. It's an unskippable, 20-second long death cutscene that you see over and over. And over. Admittedly, the feeling of just sprinting past something dangerous is probably accurate in such a situation, and the feeling of relief when they're gone is palpable, but I'd be happy if they never came back.

Also, Shinespark puzzles actively curtailed my desire to explore. Having to click the left stick in to boost, watching boost erratically disappear as you pass through a door, seeing the Shinespark charge sometimes, but often not. And then doing it all forty times. Nah. The control config for it is just brutal, and you're fighting that more than the challenges, so I just bin them now, and wind up with about 80% items.

It's been a lot of fun, but it's definitely one that I'm looking to 'get done' at this point. And if the boss is as much of a motherfucker as he's seemed on my first couple of attempts, I may end up being done with it before I beat him.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Ok, so I got this. And I'm up to the last boss fight, so I'm reasonably sure that these assessments will be my final ones.

It's pretty great - it has the Metroid atmosphere nailed, and the build in confidence as you gain powers on this strange planet is nicely paced. But the EMMIs are a huge annoyance. It's an unskippable, 20-second long death cutscene that you see over and over. And over. Admittedly, the feeling of just sprinting past something dangerous is probably accurate in such a situation, and the feeling of relief when they're gone is palpable, but I'd be happy if they never came back.

Also, Shinespark puzzles actively curtailed my desire to explore. Having to click the left stick in to boost, watching boost erratically disappear as you pass through a door, seeing the Shinespark charge sometimes, but often not. And then doing it all forty times. Nah. The control config for it is just brutal, and you're fighting that more than the challenges, so I just bin them now, and wind up with about 80% items.

It's been a lot of fun, but it's definitely one that I'm looking to 'get done' at this point. And if the boss is as much of a motherfucker as he's seemed on my first couple of attempts, I may end up being done with it before I beat him.

I really don’t get why charging the speed booster wasn’t automatic after running unimpeded for a certain distance. It would even facilitate “happy accidents”. And to then put it on a stick click instead is just mean.