IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

When people go one about Hollow Knight being like Metroid I’m like, nah. 

I mean, I’m even dubious of recommending Axiom Verge to folks just because they are Metroid fans. 

There is something about Metroid that no other game possesses (that’s a lot of s’s).

Don’t ask me to explain what it is, it just has the ‘M factor’.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

When people go one about Hollow Knight being like Metroid I’m like, nah. 

I mean, I’m even dubious of recommending Axiom Verge to folks just because they are Metroid fans. 

There is something about Metroid that no other game possesses (that’s a lot of s’s).

Don’t ask me to explain what it is, it just has the ‘M factor’.

No other metroidvania has the atmosphere of Metroid, but plenty have the same gameplay.

7 hours ago, scottcr said:

how on Earth can you tell that from a 15 minute early gameplay video? What are you expecting? Some kind of obvious indication that you’ll be able to speed run the whole thing in 45 minutes? An exact copy of the beginning of Super Metroid? Massive comedy shoulders?

My main arguments would be that -as pointed out several times- it looks too rough. Graphically it already doesn't appeal, which is not good for a Metroid game. And it's made by Mercury Steam, who frankly still have to show they can make an excellent game - as I don't expect anything else from a mainline Metroid game. They almost fucked up Metroid 2 ffs.

So yeah, as it is, I don't think this'll turn out anything but a mediocre entry in what was once a magnificent series. But I'd be glad if this will not be the case. Just not getting my hopes up.

QVKQ.gif

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

giphy.gif

(One can hope though. :ph34r:)

hahah

tbf, I'm just not good enough at gaming to enjoy Hollow Knight.  I find the controls really infruiating and being knocked off a platform and into posion because I didn't manage to do the needle jump thing properly made me want to snap my switch.  Whis was a shame as it looked lovely.

I do fancy the latest Ori though.

... but nothing... NOTHING... beats a Metroid game.  Just something I love about them.

On a bit in Samus Returns just now, just fought a new type of boss thing where I had to pull it's shell off.  It was kicking my arse.  When I finally did it, I went with super missles prepped, super machine gun laser power thing prepped - timed a parry perfectly to pull of a really cool as fuck looking interactive cut scene where I was firing super missiles right into it's face, it ran up to the ceiling, I pulled off it's shell, charged up the super machine gun thing and let rip as it fell.  The thing went down in about 20 seconds from start to finish.  Superb.

That's as much classic Metroid to me as exploring.  Using my move set and powers to demonstrate that I'm the baddest mother fucker in the galaxy.

Eurogamer interview, doesn’t give much away except that the Mercurysteam collaboration went well enough for them to want to do another project, which wound up being Dread; the ending will make it clear where the franchise will go post-Metroid.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-17-nintendos-sakamoto-on-bringing-metroid-dread-back-from-the-dead

WTF will they call it though? Samus?

Also has this bit:

As to the story of Dread itself, well, we still know very little. It takes place on a new planet, ZDR, which has Chozo ruins and handy power-ups. It is also now home to the EMMI robots, originally sent by the Galactic Federation to investigate the X Parasite's return. These have, for reasons unknown, now turned against Samus, and act as Tyrant-esque roaming bosses that relentlessly pursue Samus through certain sections of the game. (They are not, Sakamoto stressed, present throughout, however. Exploration and traditional boss fights also remain a focus.)

With the caveat that I am not a 2D Metroid guy at all, although I'll watch people speedrun them from time to time, I thought this looked really nice in the Treehouse gameplay demo, both the graphics and the movement, which seemed very slick.

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Eurogamer interview, doesn’t give much away except that the Mercurysteam collaboration went well enough for them to want to do another project, which wound up being Dread; the ending will make it clear where the franchise will go post-Metroid.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-17-nintendos-sakamoto-on-bringing-metroid-dread-back-from-the-dead

Federation Force 2 obviously.

6 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

See, this type of cutscene showboating.... I don't like it. In Super it would be the player herself getting caught by Draygon and connecting to a power source via the grapple beam to toast it to oblivion. Now it's just another thing to look at instead of to experience. But yes, I am getting old, thank you for asking.

Yeah, apart from the fact that it's a big fat aesthetic nothing on the level of Shadow Complex, which almost looks like a direct inspiration, the disappointing thing about Dread so far is that it's doubling down on all of the inane fluff from Samus Returns. Where Metroid-as-an-action-game worked most successfully for me in the past, in Fusion, it wasn't because Samus had a fuck-off uppercut comboing into a glory kill or something, it was because the game contextualised her existing moveset as a dangerous deficit to be overcome. Enemies hit like trucks and picked on your specific weaknesses, and the game became about playing keep-away in interesting ways. I just hope this game has an equally meaningful and satisfying set of mechanics going on underneath all the bollocks.

My head must be broken because I’m really enjoying Samus Returns.

once I’m done with this I’m going to go back and play Fusion on WiiU. I remember really enjoying Fusion but thought the difficulty spike at Nightmare was ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Well, Samus is now a metroid both literally and figuratively. The last metroid even. So I’m fully prepared for them to reverse that. 

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

My head must be broken because I’m really enjoying Samus Returns.

once I’m done with this I’m going to go back and play Fusion on WiiU. I remember really enjoying Fusion but thought the difficulty spike at Nightmare was ridiculous. 

The spider boss (Yakuza?) was the one that drove me crazy.

Samus Returns is a tidy little game in a lot of respects. I think I 100%-ed it. It’s not a hugely insightful tribute to the Metroid franchise or the eerie game it’s remaking, and some of its new combat ideas ideas make getting around a chore in the late game as you can’t just blast through, but it didn’t have any objectionable slack or a lot of pain points.

2D Metroid games are like restaurant meals, even if they’re not the best they’re over in a few hours and you feel like you spent your time well.

20 hours ago, Isaac said:

It's so easy to order a reprogrammable NFC chip online and download the IDs for any ammibo you want, which is what I ended up doing for BotW as I wanted all the exclusive items from the other Zelda games.

Cheers, I didn't know this. 

16 hours ago, deKay said:

No other metroidvania has the atmosphere of Metroid, but plenty have the same gameplay.

There's no such thing as 'Metroidvania', just a long list of games that try to copy Metroid.

18 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

See, this type of cutscene showboating.... I don't like it. In Super it would be the player herself getting caught by Draygon and connecting to a power source via the grapple beam to toast it to oblivion. Now it's just another thing to look at instead of to experience. But yes, I am getting old, thank you for asking.

The Metroid series has long been a perfect go-to for example of a game where player actions define character.

Pre-Other M there were very few moments where the game took away control. The player ultimately gave agency to Samus.

Even then those scripted moments were things like elevator and log room dialogue (Fusion, ZM); cut-aways (ZM); boss and area introductions, character dialogue, or Samus losing her powers in a manner which the designs either didn’t know how or have time to incorporate into gameplay (Prime series).

Outside these moments the user has full control, thus allowing player actions to define character.

Regardless of the play style the design of the gameplay will always push Samus to be a courageous character in some form. Does Samus try to turn back every time she is locked in a boss room or forced into a bad situation? Then she is fighting to survive.
Does she rush into danger and exterminate all that stands in her way? Then she is an engine of destruction.

I think Fusion plays on this idea well. Samus is the survivalist who is trying to get through her mission in one piece while the SA-X is a destructive force which mows down all in its path.

Also despite being able to return yo her ship, Samus will never run away from her mission, showing that she understands the stakes (the fate of the entire galaxy).

Anyway back to what matters, agency. Samus’ agency is directly tied to player agency and works best during boss encounters.

Let’s look at two bosses from Super: Crocomire and Mother Brain.

When entering Crocomires nest the player is presented with a choice. Fight it head on, or go left and attempt to flee. Fleeing puts the player in a dead end and gives Crocomire time to close in. Fighting immediately pushes Crocomire to its acid pit death much faster.

What the player does here changes the meaning of the scene. Samus is either fighting to not be pinned between the spike wall and the big monster, or she fought to remove an obstacle as quickly as possible.

The endgame of Super is significantly more story heavy than the rest of the game. While technically possible to dodge, the ambush by the giant Metroid is supposed to communicate that despite their near extinction Metroids are still a massive threat anyone would be powerless against when unprepared. The player loses their control on the situation (but not on Samus), and their life tanks to push the danger across, making it all the more impactful when you are only allowed to live at the Metroids mercy.

Mother Brain’s second form has the moment when you are hit with the big death beam that leaves Samus immobilised. Samus cannot get up after being hit by this beam but the player can still control her. By attempting to move in what is an otherwise scripted scene the player portrays Samus as struggling against her situation. Samus cannot stand but will try her damndest anyway. It is a player action which gives Samus the agency of trying to act even when she cannot.

Fusion, despite being more narratively locked as a whole still uses such a scene when Samus is struck by the Omega Metroid to deliver the same effect.

The point I’m getting to here is that the cutscenes used by Samus Returns and Dread take this away from the player. Samus isn’t who we make her, the people making the game now tell us who Samus is: a Supercilious Bad-Ass Action Girl who kills aliens and doesn’t afraid of anything. Some people dig that but it removes a great deal of Metroids “actions define character” design and I think that does a disservice to the player and the Samus Aran character.

Let players create their own scenes, they’ll have more meaning.

I remember the Metroid Prime review in EDGE, which they loved, but in part of the review they did wonder what could have been achieved with the same tech making a 2D game in the vein of Super Metroid.

And here we are! (I have not played Other M)

I was wary about this at first but I think it looks Ace.

I reckon this has the potential to be GOTY for a lot of us.

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

Possibly not the thread for it, but why didn't people like Shadow Complex?

I can't speak for others but I rather liked it a lot. The weakest part was the story, it was just plain silly and not very engaging at all. The voice acting was also painful to listen to.