IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Even if there is tons of lag you've played the rest of the game up until this point with it there. You should be used to it - it doesn't just become apparent once something hard comes along.

The shinespark stuff is not "near impossible" at all. These extra collectables are only going to make the last boss battle ever so slightly less difficult than it currently is.

Why would you slog all the way through the game and then give up at this stage? Surely you now realise that there are very obvious patterns to all of the boss routines by now? It's highly unlikely that anyone flukes their way this far.

It doesn't matter what, or how hard the game is, nearly every single boss in every game ever only has a handful of routines for each of their phases. They're designed to be recognised and taken advantage of. Follow my pacifist approach and lay off the attack until you're at the stage where the boss can't touch you, before moving onto the next phase and repeating. I'm not doing the boss until I've done more exploration, on top of that I'm supposed to be busy with work (and not posting here). I think you'll have done it by the time I come back to offer a more detailed strat.

22 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Thanks. It’s not so much the tactics required that’s the issue, it’s the lack of enough energy and ammo given to the player to make it more than a few minutes in the battle, and that the awful shinespark puzzles are an artificial device to make expansions harder than necessary to collect.

Hang on... let me see how many tanks etc I have.... brb...

And done. I loved loved loved Metroid Dread. I thought the EMMI were basically shite and agree that the music's a bit of a letdown but aside from that it's an absolutely fantastic Metroidvania that's up there with the genre's best. Definitely the only thing that's troubling Returnal for game of the year, it's not quite beating it obviously because Returnal's the fucking best but it's the only thing close. 

The last boss was a fantastic little journey from "this is impossible" to "I've got this you absolute bastard. I've got you down." It reminds me of your Artorius' and your Slave Knight Gael, and from me there's really no greater compliment. 

9/10. Lovely stuff. Would Metroid again. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I’ve hooked up my WiiU back up to play Prime, (wiimote controls) just because I need some more of that Metroid goodness. The game still looks stunning. 

I've been toying with the idea of doing the same, but I've got to get some speakers for the living room first. I might get a RetroTINK as well. Should probably get a new TV while I'm at it.

I'll down this a-hole eventually, I'm not giving up until I do, the games been too good up until now.

I don't want to end it on a sour note. Maybe I'll backtrack a bit but I feel I already have enough missiles/tanks I can take quite a few hits.

I think the good advice here is to concentrate on not getting hit and just avoiding everything. 

Also I started prime again too, but

totally forgot it was on wii u. I'm playing on wii with a hdmi adapter, and after playing so many pin sharp games on switch and ps5, the low res is a little jarring. It's still a phenomenal game regardless. 😀

3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Thanks. It’s not so much the tactics required that’s the issue, it’s the lack of enough energy and ammo given to the player to make it more than a few minutes in the battle, and that the awful shinespark puzzles are an artificial device to make expansions harder than necessary to collect.

no they aren’t. There’s about 5 of them in the entire game that I’d say take some real effort.

there is no lag. The final boss telegraphs every move. The second stage doesn’t take long provided you dodge… there’s no counters. The thirds stage is a piece of piss.

I *still* haven’t finished Samus returns because I find Ridley too hard. See also umpteen other games with unfair boss fights. 

this isn’t one of them. And I’m the first person to rant about unfair bosses

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

And done. I loved loved loved Metroid Dread. I thought the EMMI were basically shite and agree that the music's a bit of a letdown but aside from that it's an absolutely fantastic Metroidvania that's up there with the genre's best. Definitely the only thing that's troubling Returnal for game of the year, it's not quite beating it obviously because Returnal's the fucking best but it's the only thing close. 

The last boss was a fantastic little journey from "this is impossible" to "I've got this you absolute bastard. I've got you down." It reminds me of your Artorius' and your Slave Knight Gael, and from me there's really no greater compliment. 

9/10. Lovely stuff. Would Metroid again. 

artorius is a great comparison… first time I fought that bastard he absolutely battered me. By the time I beat him he could barely lay a finger on me and I felt total BOSS. This felt the same. Me just avoiding all his attacks and kicking his arse.

I guess it's typical but as soon as I'd had a moan about it on here, the boss is finally done. I will concede it's not so bad - you basically have to utilise all the abilities well. Flash, missiles, bombs, slides, space jumps you have to incorporate it all and I guess once you realise that it becomes a case of not panicking, then recognising the attacks and using the best ability to counter it.

It's still much harder than anything else in the game by some margin so it's still a bit too much of a spike IMO.

But that's the one teeny-tiny smear on a thoroughly outstanding game. I didnt want it to end (besides that boss fight) and would gladly play more right now - there's very few games these days that make me think that after completion.

So in summary - brilliant. Tied for the best thing I've played this year, and that's only because I finally played through Half Life Alyx for the first time (which was just, wow). I think for a 2d action game, that's a phenomenal achievement. 

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

It doesn't matter what, or how hard the game is, nearly every single boss in every game ever only has a handful of routines for each of their phases. They're designed to be recognised and taken advantage of. Follow my pacifist approach and lay off the attack until you're at the stage where the boss can't touch you, before moving onto the next phase and repeating.

This is crucial understanding when playing something that is considered difficult.

Just to build on this, you should NEVER initially be going into a boss fight to win; you’re going in to learn. The sooner you recognise this the less frustrated you’ll get.

Your goals for early attempts should be ‘what is the boss doing and what do I do to deal with it’. You need to write off death as learning and the best way to do that is going in WITHOUT the ‘win’ agenda. Instead have other goals, ‘can I dodge this by doing X’ ‘do I get time to attack there’ etc etc. Getting answers to these questions helps build up a picture of how you’re going to beat this thing.

Once you get into this mentality, boss fights can become the best parts of games 

This talk of Beaky being a major difficulty spike doesn’t match my experience. At the point I fought him, with max or close to max health easily available, he was significantly easier than my earlier trials fighting Experiment Heinz 57, or whatever it was called.

47 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Just to build on this, you should NEVER initially be going into a boss fight to win; you’re going in to learn. The sooner you recognise this the less frustrated you’ll get.

Even more facepalmy when people were wasting their entire set of blood vials, or whatever they were, on Bloodborne first attempts. Taking themselves out of the retry loop for 10/15 minutes to go back and farm for more each and every death. What did you think was going to happen, that you were going to down the boss on your first attempt? :lol: Talk about making something much more difficult for yourself!

It'd be the same on this if you had to go back and farm missiles after each try. Those games try to teach you to respect your consumables, and to use them wisely - but more importantly how to become a badass vs. a boss, and at the game in general where you get to the level of deep enjoyment and appreciation.

53 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Just to build on this, you should NEVER initially be going into a boss fight to win

I’ve clocked plenty of souls/Sekiro/returnal and other bosses first go and have to disagree.

I go into them thinking I might not and in games with non regenerating perks you have to be careful but any boss should, theoretically, be able to be beaten first time.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Just now, Strafe said:

I’ve clocked plenty of souls/Sekiro/returnal and other bosses first go and have to disagree.

I go into them thinking I might not and in games with non regenerating perks you have to be careful but any boss should, theoretically, be able to be beaten first time.

My 'favourite' Souls moment being 'oh my god...I'm...I'm actually going to beat this boss!'

Then I don't :D

Sekiro just filled me with fear, I need to get back to that since all the folk talking about how much they enjoyed Sekiro
bosses sound like me talking about Souls games to folk who think they're hard.

I've restarted it on hard and got to the first boss... it's amazing how much 'better' you are when restarting, even without all your powers.  I struggle to see how folks got stuck on that room that required you to shoot the blocks to continue.  The game teaches you to do that by having an enemy walk along the roof!

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

So have I, frequently so, but this isn't very good advice for people struggling and about to give up at the very end of a great game.

Technically all bosses can be beaten first go - but your chances are diminished if 100% of your time in gaming isn't one huge boss rush across different games.

12 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I've restarted it on hard and got to the first boss... it's amazing how much 'better' you are when restarting, even without all your powers.  I struggle to see how folks got stuck on that room that required you to shoot the blocks to continue.  The game teaches you to do that by having an enemy walk along the roof!

I reckon I'll be enjoying hard mode a lot more.

4 minutes ago, Fallows said:

So have I, frequently so, but this isn't very good advice for people struggling and about to give up at the very end of a great game.

Advice? I doubt anyone is going to give up on Metroid Dread just from reading my post and the subsequent one saying I didn't do any of the bosses first go. I'm just saying that the idea of treating your first attempt as a suicide run doesn't need to be a thing.

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Advice? I doubt anyone is going to give up on Metroid Dread just from reading my post and the subsequent one saying I didn't do any of the bosses first go. I'm just saying that the idea of treating your first attempt as a suicide run doesn't need to be a thing.

I did the very last EMMI on my first go via some extremely lucky sequences (I think I countered it 3 times). Took multiple times on all the others. I must admit I did feel like an absolute god. 

50 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I meant as the counterpoint to the advice that me and @Goemon were trying to provide, which you disagreed with. So, not your advice, but the alternative to our advice. We're not going to try to help someone who openly admits to shying away from difficult games with 'gitgud'. It's much more constructive to help them understand that the approach towards difficult bosses can be compartmentalised and broken down piece by piece, with them building an understanding of the design behind the encounter. In my experience this saves time, frustration, and is a whole lot more enjoyable.

After years of doing that you'll find that indeed you can kill otherwise hard bosses on a first attempt, because we've had decades of gaming, and as a result boss challenges are rarely unique.

Oh right. Yeah, that was bad advice from you both.

Believe in yourselves, I say. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Shoot for the moon and if you miss you’ll still end up in the stars and other, astronomically related non-sensical analogies. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

The 2nd phase is the toughest sure sure, but there’s a rhythm to dodging the hardest attacks. I did it with 8 health bars, 4 power bombs and 125 missiles in just under 9:30. 

On to either Samus Returns or Prime. 100% and hard more can wait. 

have you not played Prime?!?  If not - it's an absolute must.  Phenomenal game.