IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Yeah, admitedly it took me a while to realise exactly how they work. I started off holding Y then releasing it to fire, which does actually work, it's just a lot more straightforward to aim then tap Y once it's locked. I used it a lot for slower bosses, but for Beaky the windows he gave didn't seem large enough. Oh well.

And done. Though roughly enjoyed it from start to finish. 

With the aforementioned niggle that progress is too linear and developer-authored for my tastes, offset by the astoundingly satisfying traversal and combat, I think the Edge 8 is bang in, and I look forward to reading what they thought of it. 

A very worthy addition to Samus’ adventures. 

You're usually only looking to traverse a short distance to the next door - I found a mix of cloaking early as you enter, using grapple to blue walls, and simply legging it worked, cloaking again if it got close.

For the second run I'm into the groove of trying to get to the next save/Adam room as fast as I possibly can. When I finally get there I ask myself if it could have been done any faster. If the answer is a yes I'll restart from the last save point, trying again until I've trimmed enough fat away for me to be happy enough to eventually lock in my progress and start the next dash.

I've never really seen the appeal of speed-running a Metroid before, but this is going to get cleared so many times.

It's like digital cocaine, and I've not been scoring lines since what, Bayonetta?

Just finished first run, 100% items and absolutely loved the final boss encounter! 

Easily, easily my GOTY and absolutely the best game in the series! I did not expect this to basically come out of nowhere with an announcement only a few months before release and for it to blow me away! 

I really love this genre and it’s renewed it even more, after feeling I’d had my fill after playing the slightly bloated Hollow Knight. 

17 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Just finished first run, 100% items and absolutely loved the final boss encounter! 

Easily, easily my GOTY and absolutely the best game in the series! I did not expect this to basically come out of nowhere with an announcement only a few months before release and for it to blow me away! 

I really love this genre and it’s renewed it even more, after feeling I’d had my fill after playing the slightly bloated Hollow Knight. 

Now start Hard mode for a speed run. Quick! I just got up to Dairon in 40 minutes. More like three hours with all the rinse & repeats.

It really comes together when you try running it as fast as possible. I actually think that overall it’s designed to be played this way rather than an isolated/atmospheric exploration. The linearity makes a lot more sense. The combat and parkour really comes into it’s own, too. Some real controller gymnastics taking place. I’m even bussing out the ‘Armu Tensu No-Jutsu’ for rapid fire, as there’s very little limit to the rate of fire.

I don’t really have a favourite Metroid. They’re all at the pinnacle of game design and each of them excel in different nuances. I think that’s been clear since Fusion wasn’t just Super Metroid 2, which it unfairly got a bit of flack for at the time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the boy killed the first EMMI earlier all by himself. He was overjoyed. As soon as he picked up the controller you could easily see that his skills had developed considerably, like he’d been practicing in his sleep. Kids are weird.

Finally done. What a game!

I normally hate bosses and love exploring but my word I really loved that final boss. Each time getting just a little bit further through undamaged through each form until struggling at the end and then boom. 

Simply a great game. GOTY so far. 

On 07/11/2021 at 20:55, smac said:

You're usually only looking to traverse a short distance to the next door - I found a mix of cloaking early as you enter, using grapple to blue walls, and simply legging it worked, cloaking again if it got close.

On 09/11/2021 at 00:13, the_debaser said:

In the Matrix they say if you see an agent, run. Same here. 

Apart from a couple of areas where grappling seems essential I just legged it every time. 

2 hours ago, Sane said:

I made it in the end. It wasn't actually that hard but just a bit frustrating because I was playing at the end of a long day and wanted to relax but the emmi kept freezing me with that beam and I kept failing the QTE. 

I've only passed an EMMI QTE once :D I was so shocked at passing it I got immediately killed. Always run and yes especially later on with extra abilities it can be a bit frustrating but the extended moveset helps

7 hours ago, merrychan said:

I've only passed an EMMI QTE once :D I was so shocked at passing it I got immediately killed. Always run and yes especially later on with extra abilities it can be a bit frustrating but the extended moveset helps

I managed two in succession on the purple EMMI - messed up my escape after the first stun, so got caught as I was basically bunny-hopping around it, cack-handedly, in a panic. Then got away on the second stun! Niiiiice.

The Washington Post just updated the sales of Dread in the States. 854k units were sold during October. Almost double the launch numbers of Prime.

Add in digital not being counted and the game has probably already passed 2,5 million worldwide.

Edit: Digital HAS been included in that number. Whoops.

Edit 2: And in its fifth week on the JP market, Dread has sold  3.756. A drop of 31% compared to the previous week. Total sold at retail now comes to 128.257 without digital.

As someone who tends to be pretty bad at games, I’ve surprised myself by making it to the final boss! Not actual had a go yet as figured I’d go back and try out some of the shine spark puzzles.

Man, some of these are tricky! I still don’t fully get when/how I stay in the right state and trigger the speed rush thing. Has anyone found a good guide to  help, or any tips? I’m finding the one of Burenia impossible (despite looking at a few YouTube videos). Or is it just practice practice practice?

Yeah, the Burenia one is probably the most tricky. My tips would be; use the purple wave beam to shoot out the blocks before you do the first slide under the gap, then just concentrate on hitting B at the right moment as you're dropping. Remember you want to hit B, nothing else. Only after that do you hold straight to the left to aim at the slope, then hold left to keep her speed running. It will take multiple attempts, but once you've figured out how to do the first part and keep the run going, it will feel eminently achievable and just a matter of time.

Just finished this today. Took me around ten hours with just under 60% items. That his fine for me and I don’t think I will go back to collect them all - ten years ago I would not have even contemplated approaching the boss until I had 100%. 

Other than Hard mode and the remaining puzzles for extra items - am I missing out on anything major? Had a fantastic time with it. Although I don’t think I fully got the ending. 

Spoiler

The bit where she gets back to the ship having been changed into the new sort of X life form. What happens to the dude who appears behind her and why does the X blob sap her powers so she can leave?

Spoiler

She's been turned in to a sort of Metroid-human hybrid because her Metroid genes activated.

He was the guy who helped you earlier and died, he's been cloned and copied by the X.

The X and Metroids are natural enemies so it dies to neutralise your out of control Metroid genes.

Nobody has quite figured out why.

There's only that one ending.

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Other than Hard mode and the remaining puzzles for extra items - am I missing out on anything major?

I'm convinced the game was designed to be played at speed. Try hard mode, but this time maybe try darting from save point to save point as fast as possible. It's like speed-running in small 2-3 minute bursts with the ability to lock your progress in once you're happy.

I'd have given the game 8/10. But now I'm playing like this it's an easy 10.

Give it a try, at least.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

She's been turned in to a sort of Metroid-human hybrid because her Metroid genes activated.

He was the guy who helped you earlier and died, he's been cloned and copied by the X.

The X and Metroids are natural enemies so it dies to neutralise your out of control Metroid genes.

Nobody has quite figured out why.

There's only that one ending.

Cheers.  Send a bit of a leap out of the blue to see 

Spoiler

He has been cloned 

I've had so much fun with this god damn game and I'm someone who wasn't impressed when it was announced.

On the final boss now, and it feels a bit like those big arena battles in Doom where your skill level and progress edge up on each attempt, it's almost impossible not to have another go when you hit the game over screen.