IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I think this gets better and better the further in you get. The environments in particular are a lot more interesting and the pacing is excellent. The momentum barely ever flags.

I'm not sure they quite juggle all the upgrades you get in a way that makes them all feel essential. Some of them I've basically forgotten I even have at this point unless I look in the menu. Mainly that running dash move which seems extremely location specific.

I can't decide if the control scheme is the work of a genius or a madman. The way it's designed means that pretty much every ability and move is instantly accessible without having to go into a submenu of any kind. But there are so many combinations of button and shoulder presses by the time you start reaching the end I still feel like they're not embedded in my muscle memory fully.

The water level is soooo good.  Atmosphere.  Exploration. Shooting.  It's great.  But I have conceded.  This game is ruined by the EMMIs , they are repetitive, boring, and way, way too hard.   The games fucking brilliant in so many ways and the EMMIs absolutely ruin it. It's amazing Nintendo signed off on this.  It's a great game, utterly ruined by one thing.

On 19/12/2021 at 04:32, Fallows said:

There are so few EMMI encounters that they’re almost just background noise in the grand scheme of things. The game is massive, and they take up such a small part of it. These sections are not about exploration, no, but neither is the rest of the game once it clicks - it’s probably just as linear as Fusion was, which again, got a load of flack at the time. Personally, Fusion was/is my favourite for that very reason. No getting lost, just great set-pieces and bosses - the polar opposite to Super.

I have to disagree.  In terms of map percentage there's only 5 EMMIs and they are spaced out.  But in terms of gameplay I run into one every time I play it and they just kill me over and over.  And they are so scripted that you know you'll kill it eventually so what's the point of making me get caught by them 20 times in a row?  

8 hours ago, dumpster said:

The water level is soooo good.  Atmosphere.  Exploration. Shooting.  It's great.  But I have conceded.  This game is ruined by the EMMIs , they are repetitive, boring, and way, way too hard.   The games fucking brilliant in so many ways and the EMMIs absolutely ruin it. It's amazing Nintendo signed off on this.  It's a great game, utterly ruined by one thing.

I agree about the E.M.M.I.s, except that they are way too easy. Just keep running and *poof* they're gone.

Voted game of the year by Time Magazine:
https://time.com/6126797/best-video-games-2021/

As for the EMMIs, I quite like them because they can fuck you up in an instant, unlike any of the other enemies in the games (bosses and mini-bosses aside) who pose zero threat. I love that you can deal with them in various ways and parrying them feels really good. Besides, dying to them isn't that big of a penalty when you basically start outside the EMMI room again. This isn't Dark Souls, people.

I like the EMMI bit when you get the super laser and need to use the environment a bit to melt them, but that part felt a bit undercooked. It could’ve been more… “puzzley”. 

I loved the bosses in the game, especially later ones where you really needed to be on the move instead of just spamming shots at them. 

I really like the way the bosses force you to learn their patterns.  It's so old school.  The Kraid boss when from frustrating to putting a massive smile on my face as I suddenly realised how to beat it. Games don't tend to make me smile much these days.

I've only played the demo but what I liked about the EMMi is that it forces you to speed through a section utilising all your movement abilities like a fucking ninja, no plodding around. It's just a robotic manifestation of a crumbling ceiling, lava flow or any other number of mechanics that achieve the same thing in loads of platform games.

I enjoyed the demo and it now looks like I have Metroid Dread shaped present under the tree.  Unfortunately I share the switch with my son and he has got Pokémon Diamond for Xmas so I will have to wait until he’s asleep to get going on this.  First World problems!

Finished this yesterday, really enjoyed it. Probably the most challenging game I’ve played in a while and my completion time is no where near the amount of time I actually put into it.  I liked trying different strategies and learning the attack cues, I’m not going back to play ‘hard’ mode!

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Played about twenty minutes last night - animation and little details are great - EMMIS really don't make a good first impression. Sure they'll be fine but I couldn't be arsed carrying on after a couple of goes later last night.

That was my experience.  The EMMIs are way too hard.  And I believe that even now I'm nearing the end they still annoy me, but I can tell on a second playthrough I'll be fine. This game rewards your effort. It's funny, but I've moaned before about how modern gaming doesnt challenge your reactions and gameplay skills like they used to, then I started moaning on this thread how difficult this game is.  The reality is (and it took me too long to realise) that this game is actually the perfect game for me.

I'm finding the map / game flow design a bit strange in this. Feels like they're very heavily leading you by the hand to the next area, instead of making it part player discovery. I haven't yet really needed to learn an area, which means I'm not getting that cool buzz of expanding a well trodden path. Maybe it opens up more later ?

2 hours ago, jcee said:

I'm finding the map / game flow design a bit strange in this. Feels like they're very heavily leading you by the hand to the next area, instead of making it part player discovery. I haven't yet really needed to learn an area, which means I'm not getting that cool buzz of expanding a well trodden path. Maybe it opens up more later ?

The main game will open up once you pick up your last ability.

That said, the game basically is a two-parter: the first time you play you'll be led by the nose on everything. The second time you play you may start seeing cracks in the 'optimal path' and you can blow it wide open. The main grumble is that there's not really an in-between setting: either you play as a beginner, or you're hardcore sequence breaking doing some crazy stuff. There's no Super Metroid or Hollow Knight-like 'open area' to chip away at the edges and find a new route/area once you get a new power-up.

Bugger, I’m stuck.  Instead of going and taking out Krait, I went exploring in Darion and now I can’t get back to the shuttle.  I can’t jump to the platform to go along the top through the Yellow EMMI zone, and I can’t go back the way I entered as the morph ball can’t jump high enough. Any ideas or have I screwed myself?

10 hours ago, Ivanho said:

Bugger, I’m stuck.  Instead of going and taking out Krait, I went exploring in Darion and now I can’t get back to the shuttle.  I can’t jump to the platform to go along the top through the Yellow EMMI zone, and I can’t go back the way I entered as the morph ball can’t jump high enough. Any ideas or have I screwed myself?

Last saved position any help?

Spoiler

And done, man that final boss fight was absolutely nails. Not sure if I enjoyed it or not.  

The map design and game flow really ruined the game for me overall. As soon as I picked up the design pattern of being locked in small sections of each world the illusion shattered for me. It doesn't open up organically like Super Metroid or Hollow Knight... feels very copy and paste.  It's a shame as the character movement and enemies are fun.

At the last boss and feeling demotivated. Realising part of the issue is my controller is worn and switching to a new pro controller made a massive difference.  

But overall, it's fantastic, maybe GOTY, but it has some really bad design decisions....

The EMMIs I found to be frustrating.  I didn't like the continual game over messages.  I really liked the bosses, but I thought they were just on the wrong side of hard.  I'd learn the patterns but they always started to frustrate before I finally beat them.  

The maze design doesn't feel as intuitive as previous metroids.  Had to really zoom into the map, only to realise you can't get where you thought.  But for all the issues it's a brilliant game.  But I can't help thinking that, whilst it's getting GOTY nominations all over the place, our own trading forum tells a different story. Loads for sale soon after launch, I got mine cheap on Facebook Marketplace and it does feel like, while I've really enjoyed it I won't be playing it again once I complete it.

So I went on this for a bit last night and took down the first EMMI and I feel I have now been funnelled towards the first boss without anything of worth being available to explore for. I was looking forward to using the first upgrades to go chip away at the map and find some goodies without being hassled, but no - go straight to the boss now. Feels a bit shit.

Free aim with the joycons is squirrely and sucks balls, too. 

13 minutes ago, Steven said:

So I went on this for a bit last night and took down the first EMMI and I feel I have now been funnelled towards the first boss without anything of worth being available to explore for. I was looking forward to using the first upgrades to go chip away at the map and find some goodies without being hassled, but no - go straight to the boss now. Feels a bit shit.

I'm going to be a bit "old man shouting at clouds" here but I think this is what you'll get from a modern (relatively) high budget game. Literally nothing else about the game is easier than Super Metroid except the pathfinding. They really don't want people getting lost. Super also funnels you pretty strongly all the way to Maridia but it's much more subtle about it. And, having said that, Maridia is the area that gets complaints about being confusing (and the water and the quicksand)