Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

19 hours ago, deKay said:

;)

True aye, but as someone who’s only played a couple of Metroid games in the past, and stumbled through the games by cheesing the bosses, I don’t believe this can be done in Dread. 

The final boss is a c**t! I keep messing up the counter attack when he flashes… sometimes I hit the X button at the right time but I’m not close enough so the sequence doesn’t start. I’ve yet to make it to the third phase. 

I’ve given up trying to get all the items, the ones remaining are all hidden behind speed blocks that seem impossible to reach when charged up. YouTube wasn’t much help, just made me realise I haven’t got the dexterity in my ageing hands to pull of some of those moves!

Dread has the easiest bosses out of all the games.

That’s not to say they’re easy, mind, but they’re simple once you know the signposting and retaliation necessary.

55 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

True aye, but as someone who’s only played a couple of Metroid games in the past, and stumbled through the games by cheesing the bosses, I don’t believe this can be done in Dread. 

The final boss is a c**t! I keep messing up the counter attack when he flashes… sometimes I hit the X button at the right time but I’m not close enough so the sequence doesn’t start. I’ve yet to make it to the third phase. 

I’ve given up trying to get all the items, the ones remaining are all hidden behind speed blocks that seem impossible to reach when charged up. YouTube wasn’t much help, just made me realise I haven’t got the dexterity in my ageing hands to pull of some of those moves!

the shine spark puzzles are brilliant and not as hard as you think they’ll be… loved finding those. 

15 hours ago, Popo said:

@CurryKitten give Samus Returns on 3DS a go next if you can, I’ve just recently finished it and it’s a close cousin to Dread, and a great game. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  Typically I managed never to have a 3DS, I'll look out for it if it ever comes to switch... or I will get a 3DS if the prices ever go to non-stupid (that way I can understand why Luigi has a pet Ghost dog in Luigi's mansion 3 as well)

Also just finished and can confirm I thought this was total bullshit 🤷🏻‍♂️. Absolutely baffled by its popularity. Trying to hold the missile button, the stand still button and then aiming must rank as the most frustrating thing I've had to get to grips with on the Switch. Actual blergh. Hated this fucking thing. 

I never had a problem holding the two shoulder buttons to aim. The Omega cannon controls were daft, but thankfully temporary and very limited.

I hadn't beat this since last year and I tried fighting the final boss earlier today and I can see why it can potentially be very frustrating. AFAIK when he turns gold he's invulnerable, right? At that point the only way to progress to the second phase is to nail some counters? See, I was getting the main counters, but for some reason he just refused to transition and it took forever. It felt like a real uphill struggle. I swear when I last played it previously I would sail into phase two no problem. I guess my counters have gotten rusty? It makes such a huge difference.

On 08/08/2022 at 21:01, Jolly said:

Trying to hold the missile button, the stand still button and then aiming must rank as the most frustrating thing I've had to get to grips with on the Switch. Actual blergh. Hated this fucking thing. 

This is easily the most taxing thing I've had to teach my four year old in a game thus far (along with wall jumping). His fear of the EMMI didn't help matters, but he got there in the end. He was really proud of himself, and so was I.

I think most of the Metroid games suffer from input complexity after Samus gets revved up a bit. I can't think of any other game outside of a flight sim with as many toggles and switches. It's usually overlooked because that's how it's always been really, and it isn't all that bad once you get into the groove. It's always a slight hurdle when I return after playing something else for a bit.

I loved the stand still button. It reminded me of old Resident Evil and Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. More games need stand still (precise aim) buttons.

Complex button combinations? Wing Commander 3 on 3DO. You needed 4 hands 😉

With Dread it can take a bit to adjust, but by the time I was fighting some of the later Chozo guards, I had a technique / rhythm going. Unfortunately I don’t have the dexterity for some of the speed blocks in the game though so I’ll never get 100% items.

It's not that there are many controls, it's just that they are... "unique". Whoever put Samus' speedrunning under a stick-click needs to the brought before The Hague. Also putting many crucial controls under awkward modifiers is not helping anyone. Never mind presenting you with a separate set of controls and timings for specific scenes. And then there's the usual "fuck you this game needs something new" Nintendo stuff all bolted onto the d-pad taking away that potential movement scheme.

The abilities themselves are pretty good, but in terms of controls this game is one big sloppy mess.

• 2 weeks later...

So all EMMis have been disposed of and I’ve just got raven beak to slap down now. Been collecting the extras but there’s still a few of the shinespark challenges that I’ve got no chance at. 

What helped it click for me was when I stopped seeing the Emmi bits as traditional Metroid enemies but rather as a brief puzzle interlude on how to get in and out of the emmi (fed up with capitalising) zone without getting caught. Made much more sense in my head that way. 

Anyway, this should hopefully not take too many attempts…

• 2 weeks later...

Two attempts and Raven Dick has been junk punched into oblivion (on rookie mode). Completion time was 10h51m (total time about 14 hours with deaths). Lovely game. Might do a replay at some point but now on to something else from my backlog. 

Does make me want them to do a cheap port of Samus returns to the switch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing this yesterday, the experience is a bit mixed thus far. I love the flow of the exploration; as an experienced Metroid player the standard controls are all very familiar, and the addition of the slide to the formula feels very natural, and means you can really move quickly. I like the melee counters concept, although I'm lousy at timing it.

What I'm not sure about is the EMMIs, but it may just be a specific cock-up in the game's flow. Spoilers for the third EMMI (green):

Spoiler

The first two were OK - I liked using the fast-flowing moveset to escape, and the occasional insta-death didn't bother me. But the green one is pissing me off. The game gives you the cloak and tells you to use it to hide from the EMMI, but even when you're hanging disguised, upside down, from the ceiling, it seems to be able to hone in on you when in yellow search mode.

Looking online, it seems this is just badly explained:

• If you cloak after making a noise, the EMMI will hone in on where it last heard that noise. So you need to cloak then get into position, not get into position, then cloak. Audible noises are apparently indicated by little yellow circles (something I don't recall ever being told).
  • Attaching to a spider-mag surface will apparently make a noise even if you're cloaked. Despite the game pretty much specifically advising you to stick to the ceiling while cloaked immediately before the EMMI zone.
  • Despite the game's encouragement to cloak for this encounter, the general vibe online is that this should be a last resort, and you should stick to the same leggit-parkour approach as for the previous EMMIs, a conclusion I eventually reached by myself.

I didn't mind getting beaten 3-4 times by the Scorpion boss while learning its patterns, but repeatedly being sent back 30 seconds or so (before a cut-scene, no less) after getting insta-killed while trying to follow the suggestions of the in-game tutorials left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm just not sure insta-death should be part of the Metroid formula, although I struggle to work out how the good parts of the EMMI sections would have worked without it. Grab Samus and stuff her down a garbage chute or something? Less of a sense of fear, but that sense of fear gets replaced with pissed-offedness when you get insta-killed for the 5th time in five minutes, anyway.

Just snuck in a quick five minutes while waiting for a brew (well, more like 2 minutes after the load times), and confirmed that, armed with the info in my spoiler above, it's fine, and feels fair again. I even managed to evade the EMMI using the cloak. So, an error of communication more than anything else.