IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

When I was Googling around for the release date I noticed plenty of stockists appear to have the special limited edition ‘hingmy with the art book and steel case available again. I know Ben Moore of Easy Allies had been talking about how much difficulty he was having tracking one of those down, so I dunno if there had been a scarcity up until now or whatever.

All those weird extra story beats are what got me interested in Dread in the first place.  

I made my peace long ago that was going to iterate upon Samus Returns. Back in 2017, when rumors about this first started to flare up, I already suspected Mercury Steam were going to be behind any new 2D Metroid. 

What I’m looking forward to is if this game can make the mechanics of SR sing in ways that game failed to do.

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I keep telling them that an all-sausages refresh of the cast is the shot in the arm the franchise needs but they stopped returning my calls.

Can't wait for Rodley and Kraut.

Seems Nintendo/MercurySteam have thrown down the gauntlet:

~Transmission from the dev team~

"Super Metroid can be said to offer the greatest flexibility for exploration in the series. You can enjoy similar flexibility in Metroid Dread, depending on how you take advantage of your abilities. You might be able to find ways to obtain weapons, items and abilities earlier than the intended timing. We encourage you to try to discover alternate routes of exploration."

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/August/Metroid-Dread-Report-Vol-4-Unravelling-a-saga-35-years-in-the-making-2018281.html

That's the first acknowledgement of MercurySteam getting their act together. (I think it's also the first time ever Nintendo publicly acknowledges sequence breaks.) I'll be very and pleasantly surprised if they actually make this work.

+1 optimism

Wasn’t Fusion the first time they openly acknowledged speedrunners and sequence breaking? Unless you’re talking about Nintendo mentioning it in their PR.

Still, nice to see the influence of Zero Mission shining through in Dread. Seems they want to iterate on every idea introduced from Fusion onwards.

Yeah, PR-wise. Miyamoto was squarely against it, going as far as to 'fix' the PAL version of Metroid Prime and apart from the different endings, they never openly talked about it.

The original devs acknowledged it here and there, and started toying with the fans in both Fusion and Zero Mission, using methods from Super and Fusion to create new game mechanics.

4 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Seems Nintendo/MercurySteam have thrown down the gauntlet:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/August/Metroid-Dread-Report-Vol-4-Unravelling-a-saga-35-years-in-the-making-2018281.html

That's the first acknowledgement of MercurySteam getting their act together. (I think it's also the first time ever Nintendo publicly acknowledges sequence breaks.) I'll be very and pleasantly surprised if they actually make this work.

+1 optimism

Surely they'll hold Mercury Steam's hand until it hurts for this one? It worked when they did the first Lords of Shadow game. 

It would be really sad to have them end the series with a bad or average game.

11 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

very promising. I'm still expecting a fancier sr2 (which I really didn't like) but if this has actual sequence breaking then that says a lot about the level design.

is it wrong for me to want (a) ridley to appear in this? the zombie ridley in fusion was a really nice touch and his incredibly forced and tacked on appearance in samus returns did bring a smile to my face if I'm honest. especially since it really tied the prime games into the mainline series.

I’m not against use of Ridley per say, but like Samus herself, the series has been taking the piss with him.

In Fusion it was handled with nice foreshadowing in regards to the X and in Zero Mission it was already a bit too much, but at least they tackled it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour. The Primes just handled him like the lynchpin of the series for some reason. 

But from Other M onwards they made him a clown routine. (How Ridley can be a trauma trigger instead of a “frenemy” at that point in the series is a goddamned mystery.) In Samus Returns he was just… badly inserted imo. I mean, the battle itself was challenging and interesting, but story wise it did nothing for me. 

On 07/08/2021 at 11:38, Cyhwuhx said:

I’m not against use of Ridley per say, but like Samus herself, the series has been taking the piss with him.

In Fusion it was handled with nice foreshadowing in regards to the X and in Zero Mission it was already a bit too much, but at least they tackled it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour. The Primes just handled him like the lynchpin of the series for some reason. 

But from Other M onwards they made him a clown routine. (How Ridley can be a trauma trigger instead of a “frenemy” at that point in the series is a goddamned mystery.) In Samus Returns he was just… badly inserted imo. I mean, the battle itself was challenging and interesting, but story wise it did nothing for me. 

Definitely trigger a trauma, that would.

• 2 weeks later...

The thumbnail itself is a big spoiler.

Spoiler

Nice to see Kraid come back and that the Emmi's won't be the only unstopable villain we're working towards defeating.

Also, enemy variety is up massively from Samus Returns.

EDIT: This quote from the development report is pretty cool:

In particular, the abilities for traversal are much improved when compared to previous Metroid games, and we think you’ll be able to enjoy a variety of ways to explore the map with them.

For example, you can use Speed Booster in combination with wall jumping and sliding. The places where you can do this may surprise you, and we hope you try lots of different things on your adventure.

Can't wait to see what speedrunners do with this game. It seems way more open then Samus Returns and even that got cracked wide open when people found out what you could do with a well timed beam burst.