IGNORED

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (3rd December 2021)

Hitcher

I’m someone who thought the original’s graphics were utterly masterful examples of reduction and character. I wouldn’t mind the change but would hope they could’ve done more to make them look like iddle-biddy toy soldiers made from Fimo, and go hard on the tilt-shift effects too. 

Hopefully it still *feels* great. The predecessor felt perfect on my GBA SP. 

7 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I quite like the style and it's a rather deft approximation of the pixel art style. Sure, it's not actual pixel art, I'll give you that. The chunkiness of moving pixel units on a pixel grid is very satisfying and a huge draw, but for Advance Wars, the UI sounds are way more important for that kind of UX feel than the actual graphics and this comes very close.

Wargroove makes for a great counter example of how not to do AW. That had the style but didn't have the feel.

This might not look like the perfection on the GBA, but the feel seems to be there looking at the Treehouse gameplay.

On 16/06/2021 at 14:58, StumpyJohn said:

I don't get the negativity either.  Would a new AW be better than a remastered 2-pack, absolutely it would but I'm really looking forward to it and maybe it will lead to them making a new one.  We have been waiting so long for anything AW so this is pretty good.

Also if anyone can point to these mobile ftp games that are just like AW then please do, I've never come across any that are remotely good enough to be compared to AW

Great strawman there, given that nobody said it played like a mobile ftp game, just looked like one - and it does, it looks hideous and cheap (which is funny, given that Nintendo will charge full price for it.) I do think it's extremely cynical to release these at full price too, but sadly (as seen in this thread), people will lap it up.

On 16/06/2021 at 06:37, Darwock said:

I always felt like Advance Wars was more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. On some of the harder missions there was only one way to win, it didn’t really allow for flexibility. That was my only problem with it.

Yeah, from my ancient memories of one the first one, they are more puzzle games than strategy; it's more about 'solving' each map as opposed to having the freedom and scope to win in multiple ways.

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

Anyone in this thread not buying this game?

I'm not,

still have and play the originals

price point is a rip off

Should have just added the originals to the switch GBA online service for free

use my cash for newer games (huntdown, grindstone).

I suppose the need to remaster is dependent on individual preference and is probably an echo of some of the discussion going on the in the Metroid Dread thread. 

The visuals for this didn’t irk me the same way as Metroid did (Although, rewatching gameplay footage of Metroid I am definitely warming it’s style).  During the AW reveal I didn’t personally feel it looked awful. Quite liked it really.  

47 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Sixty euro?! For games that need ZERO "remastering" and are just as perfect or better in their original form. Total nonsense. 

A classic is a classic, it hasn’t lost value because it needs remastering. If they threw out an upscaled majoras mask I’d throw a Benjamin Franklin at it. 

15 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

What free Gba online service is this? 

Nintendo have a selection of their SNES and NES catalogue available on the switch.

14 hours ago, the_debaser said:

A classic is a classic, it hasn’t lost value because it needs remastering. If they threw out an upscaled majoras mask I’d throw a Benjamin Franklin at it. 

Right, still a classic, it didn't need remastering. All they've done is slap an new art style on it which some including myself in this thread don't like.

I honestly doubt this project has a single line of C/Assembler that was in the original so what you're left with is an 18 month project at least employing at a guess a 25+ person team with new tech/assets/pipelines.

Which costs a fortune.

Nonsense, all they had to do was push really hard to squeeze a pre-loaded GBA into a Switch via the game card slot, extract the game data by holding Start, Select and A, then copy that to a blank Switch cart. Job done. Easy. I expect it took one guy about half an hour and they have the temerity to charge fifty quid 😡

3 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Nonsense, all they had to do was push really hard to squeeze a pre-loaded GBA into a Switch via the game card slot, extract the game data by holding Start, Select and A, then copy that to a blank Switch cart. Job done. Easy. I expect it took one guy about half an hour and they have the temerity to charge fifty quid 😡

Exclusive: New Switch Pro contains GBA cart socket. 

I keep wondering where Wayforward comes in. It’s probably just that they have experience taking a low res pixel art franchise all the way up to full line art, but my pipe dream is that they’ve done 720p and 1080p revisions of the original graphics for a bonus pixel mode.

10 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm getting to the point where I'ld pay 60 euro just to send Nintendo a postcard that says "Don't forget about Advance Wars"

It's better than Fire Emblem in every way. And frankly this catches the spirit of the pixel art, better than Fire Emblem does these days.

Ain't no way I'm not supporting this.

I think full price for this is an absolute rip off, and find it odd how people are defending it in here, however, this is exactly the reason I'm in, I want Nintendo to see the appetite for the series.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I keep wondering where Wayforward comes in. It’s probably just that they have experience taking a low res pixel art franchise all the way up to full line art, but my pipe dream is that they’ve done 720p and 1080p revisions of the original graphics for a bonus pixel mode.

Honestly, If Nintendo were to charge an extra 20 bucks just for that I would pay it.