IGNORED

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (3rd December 2021)

Hitcher

Here's the treehouse gameplay video

Personally, I don't get the problems people have with the graphics (they look great) - the little attention to details, like the flowing river or the gameplay is taking place on a wooden board, are wonderful and the animated sequences look great. However, moaning about the graphics in Advance Wars is totally missing the point. It's not about the graphics, it's about the incredible gameplay.

I absolutely loved Advance Wars 1 and 2 and because it's been so long since I've played them, I'm really looking forward to playing them again. I also can't wait to introduce my son to them, for me Advance Wars was the perfect Nintendo way of taking a standard genre (turn based strategy) and making it really, really fun.

So let's not moan about the graphics and boycotting the game because of price point. Because if we all did that, then guess what... no more Advance Wars, like all the other dormant Nintendo franchises that people moaned about not being as good as the previous ones (hello Wave Race Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche, F-Zero GP Legend etc).

Let's just soak in the fact there's a Mario Golf game on the Switch and soon Advance Wars... what a time to be alive!!!!!!

The infantry units are pretty rough but I think they've made the right decision to prioritise a clean, legible art style. Much preferable to the twee tilt-shift nonsense that some people are asking for, that much is certain.

On 26/06/2021 at 09:24, gone fishin' said:

Personally, I don't get the problems people have with the graphics (they look great) - the little attention to details, like the flowing river or the gameplay is taking place on a wooden board, are wonderful and the animated sequences look great. However, moaning about the graphics in Advance Wars is totally missing the point. It's not about the graphics, it's about the incredible gameplay.

I'm happy that you like the new art style, but Advance Wars is absolutely (also) about the graphics. There's a reason it's beloved in a way that earlier titles like Military Madness and, indeed, the Famicom Wars titles aren't, and that's because it isn't just a fantastic strategy/puzzle game, it also exudes charm. That's something a huge number of clones have failed to capitalise on in the wake of AW's hibernation (see e.g. Field Commander, Tiny Metal), and it's a shame that the only game to really manage to live up to that aspect (Wargroove) instead skimped on the level design. AW is the perfect blend of presentation and gameplay, so for me it's a shame that the presentation doesn't feel like it lives up to the GBA originals.

(Hell, this isn't even the first game in the series with that problem: Days of Ruin remains the only AW game I haven't finished, despite it being very solid in terms of gameplay — comfortably the superior DS game — and that's because the grim setting and muted graphics just drained my enjoyment of it)

I am still buying it, not because I expect Nintendo to care about my 'support' for the series or whatever, but because I love the original games and this gives me a way to play them without having to get out the Wii U/DS, but I'd be happier to just buy plain rereleases of the originals.

(I'm also a tiny bit amused that you later go on to give another example of the current reasons to be happy for Nintendo fans: the fact that they've released a new Mario Golf game on Switch! A Mario Golf game that looks to be the worst entry in its series by a significant margin. If they somehow did to AW what they've managed there I really would skip it)

This idea that we should applaud Nintendo and give them our money for deigning to release new titles in long-time dormant franchises, no matter how mediocre the end result, is weird. 

I can understand the logic that if the new ones don't sell then we won't get even more but I'm not spending full price on a game I don't think looks good in the hope that 5-10 years down the line I might, possibly, maybe get the chance to buy another game in the series that could be better. I'm not paying for uncertain long-term potential.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

This idea that we should applaud Nintendo and give them our money for deigning to release new titles in long-time dormant franchises, no matter how mediocre the end result, is weird. 

I can understand the logic that if the new ones don't sell then we won't get even more but I'm not spending full price on a game I don't think looks good in the hope that 5-10 years down the line I might, possibly, maybe get the chance to buy another game in the series that might or might not  be better.

Yeah I want the game but I wouldn’t buy it in the hope of generating enough goodwill they will do something else.

It’s weird when people talk about ‘supporting’ a major corporation like they need the help.

I'm buying it (well, I've already bought it using one of my Vouchers) because it's my favourite game of all time and this is a chance to play it on modern hardware. I'm not even that bothered if they make a sequel, because each one got progressively worse last time, but I want to play Advance Wars again and this is my opportunity to do so. Not gonna lie, I'd have paid double for it. 

5 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

This whole discussion on the art-style change for these remakes is kind of ironically amusing, given the level of hatred and vitriol the much underpraised 4th game in the series gets. That changed up the setting and visual stylings too. If people could get past that, they would have discovered an excellent strategy game!

Though saying all that, I'm on Team barf 🤮

3D rendering 99.9% of the time loses the charm of sprite-based original art, see modern 2D Mario.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

(I'm also a tiny bit amused that you later go on to give another example of the current reasons to be happy for Nintendo fans: the fact that they've released a new Mario Golf game on Switch! A Mario Golf game that looks to be the worst entry in its series by a significant margin. If they somehow did to AW what they've managed there I really would boycott it)

A lot of people seemed pretty excited about that Mario Golf game, in a way I don’t really remember anyone being for any previous Mario Golf game 🤷🏻‍♂️  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Delayed until Spring.

Interesting. That's quite the delay for a project which didn't look all that complicated. 

Covid really has knocked Nintendo for 6 hasn't it. Does Nintendo now have an AAA game releasing this Christmas season? Does Pokemon count as an AAA title these days? 

There’s going to be a lot of people buying either the DLC or online pass for Animal Crossing as well spending £40 on an N64 controller that will generate as much money as a AAA release this Christmas.

13 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Interesting. That's quite the delay for a project which didn't look all that complicated. 

Covid really has knocked Nintendo for 6 hasn't it. Does Nintendo now have an AAA game releasing this Christmas season? Does Pokemon count as an AAA title these days? 

I'm not generally a Nintendo apologist, but I don't know that this isn't quite as dramatic an issue as you're painting it. For one, in the battle of the remakes, Pokemon is undoubtedly the bigger name than Advance Wars, so if Nintendo could choose which one to drop from their roster it'd be Advance Wars. For another, I'm not sure I'd classify a remake of this level as a 'AAA' game in the first place. And finally, I would generally consider October releases to count as part of the 'Christmas' window, and Metroid Dread was surely their big winter release!

(of course, in reality the Switch-exclusive game to be excited for is Shin Megami Tensei V, even if that isn't a Nintendo game)

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

I'm not generally a Nintendo apologist, but I don't know that this isn't quite as dramatic an issue as you're painting it. For one, in the battle of the remakes, Pokemon is undoubtedly the bigger name than Advance Wars, so if Nintendo could choose which one to drop from their roster it'd be Advance Wars. For another, I'm not sure I'd classify a remake of this level as a 'AAA' game in the first place. And finally, I would generally consider October releases to count as part of the 'Christmas' window, and Metroid Dread was surely their big winter release!

(of course, in reality the Switch-exclusive game to be excited for is Shin Megami Tensei V, even if that isn't a Nintendo game)

Yeah, I'm not massively complaining. Just seems like a broadly big delay for what does not seem that difficult a project. 

It's at times like these that I'm reminded of this tweet:

On another note: the silence on this remake had me nervous considering that the release was less then 2 months out. Delaying it to spring seems to be the right decision. Nintendo has enough stuff coming out first, second and third party to carry them well into next year.

2 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

It's at times like these that I'm reminded of this tweet:

To underline this, "AAA game" is like "Blockbuster movie", "hit single" or "major drama", it's a marketing pigeonhole, not a measure of a project's actual quality, importance or prospects. "John Carter of Mars" was a blockbuster; "Paranormal Activity" wasn't.

There are a lot of people whose hardcore gamer self-image centres on their devotion to the equivalent of top 40s music and MCU movies. There's some great content there, I'm not trying to be pretentious, but it doesn't make you an elite consumer. That might be tautological though; "hardcore gamer" is the market segment for whom AAA games are made and marketed.

Yeah as much as I don't think this will seriously impact Nintendo's Christmas sales, I am surprised at the combination of lateness and severity of the delay — I'd guess either it means something has gone very wrong in the development of the game (and wasn't properly reported back); that there's been a late demand for a significant change to the game; or that Nintendo has seen some kind of forecast (maybe distribution related, or maybe an upcoming issue for their 2022 releases) and decided on a significant change to their schedule. I wonder if we'll ever know which?

The thing Metroid reminded me, is that it's actually a huge deal when  a game is released and finished. No updates needed, nothing to be patched out. The devs who made it, have released buggy games on other systems, but with Nintendo, they released when finished. 

I hope the same is happening here.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Yeah as much as I don't think this will seriously impact Nintendo's Christmas sales, I am surprised at the combination of lateness and severity of the delay — I'd guess either it means something has gone very wrong in the development of the game (and wasn't properly reported back); that there's been a late demand for a significant change to the game; or that Nintendo has seen some kind of forecast (maybe distribution related, or maybe an upcoming issue for their 2022 releases) and decided on a significant change to their schedule. I wonder if we'll ever know which?

There was a rumor a while ago that Wayforward had only been focusing on the single-player aspect of the game up until then and hadn't started playtesting the multiplayer and online modes. Nobody knew if it even worked properly. That rumour stemmed form around the start of September. This video covers it EDIT: removed the video due to shitty behaviour from the youtuber in question. Thanks Dig Dug.

It's possibly a small thing, I don't know, but in the first AW remake reveal during the Direct it took a distractingly long time to transition from map view to side on battle view when entering into combat with any unit on the field. Like there was a two-second transition via black screen each time. Obviously if you turn combat animations off this wouldn't be a problem, but most new players would be playing with the default combat animations on, and these slow transitions would add up and change the pace of the game. It all seemed a bit un-Nintendo-like.

I wonder if the switch to 3D is causing more problems than imagined. 

15 hours ago, Let us measure said:

It's possibly a small thing, I don't know, but in the first AW remake reveal during the Direct it took a distractingly long time to transition from map view to side on battle view when entering into combat with any unit on the field. Like there was a two-second transition via black screen each time. Obviously if you turn combat animations off this wouldn't be a problem, but most new players would be playing with the default combat animations on, and these slow transitions would add up and change the pace of the game. It all seemed a bit un-Nintendo-like.

I wonder if the switch to 3D is causing more problems than imagined. 

\

Thats not a small thing at all, the new Monkey Ball has the same issue (at least on switch). When I booted the old gamecube version to compare, the difference it gives to the feel of the game, not to have a black screen transition between levels is immense.

Whilst I appreciate the delay being necessary to make sure everything runs as good as at it should, I’m more disappointed by this than perhaps I should be.

Because this was my Christmas Day game, I have one every year, and it’s been a Switch game for the last four years. 

So in lieu of any further discussion in this thread until probably the new year, I was wondering if anyone could suggest another. So far I’ve come up with these to choose one from, but any others I’m overlooking?

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Mario Party Allstars (or whatever the new one is called)

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Paper Mario

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Mario Golf Super Rush

Or what about Shin Megami Tensei? I’ve never played any of those before.