IGNORED

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (ETA unknown)

Hitcher

They could sell it at 70 tbh and I’d still be in day one. 50 for two of the greatest handheld games ever made packaged together and remade for current hardware is a bargain.

The value of games really has cratered in many people’s minds over the years it seems.

I’m currently playing through the games, and they’re absolutely wonderful, but there’s no way the remakes will have taken as long to develop as many of the other games Nintendo charge full price for. 

That’s my issue with the pricing. 

I guess the sales expectations are much lower which is why they feel they have to charge as much as they do, but the value exchange seems off to me. 

Anyway, I’m really hoping it sells well, I’d love little more than to see the series continue. 

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I’m currently playing through the games, and they’re absolutely wonderful, but there’s no way the remakes will have taken as long to develop as many of the other games Nintendo charge full price for. 

I guess the sales expectations are much lower which is why they feel they have to charge as much as they do, but the value exchange seems off to me. 

Anyway, I’m really hoping it sells well, I’d love little more than to see the series continue. 

So development difficulty/time = price? So Duke Nukem Forever should have been £200 and Vice City should have been a tenner? Should games that have been crunched on cost more? 

For me the product is worth the quality of the thing. And I suppose the amount of time I'll be enjoying it. So these two games, tarted up and packaged together is easily worth £50 to me. The Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze deluxe version on Switch was basically a straight port with some pretty slim extras thrown in and was easily worth the £40 I spent on it. It's one of my favourite games of all time and I've finished it multiple times. 

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So development difficulty/time = price? So Duke Nukem Forever should have been £200 and Vice City should have been a tenner? Should games that have been crunched on cost more? 

For me the product is worth the quality of the thing. And I suppose the amount of time I'll be enjoying it. So these two games, tarted up and packaged together is easily worth £50 to me. The Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze deluxe version on Switch was basically a straight port with some pretty slim extras thrown in and was easily worth the £40 I spent on it. It's one of my favourite games of all time and I've finished it multiple times. 

I absolutely think there should be a relationship to the effort spent yes. 

However, in actual fact it’s really what people will pay of course. 

Good for Nintendo I guess. 

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Waiting for deKay to say that it would actually only be £30 in 2002 money.

What’s really upsetting is that the Advance Wars games are twice as old now as Super Mario World was when it got ported to the GBA.

Can play it in the dark though, and the hundreds of other lighting scenarios where the GBA was unplayable. 

I though this looked pretty poor on the direct but re-watching it a few times I think it looks fine. Lacks the look of something like Links Awakening, but I can't quite decide what I want it to look like. It reminded me of a sort of Battalion Wars crossed with General Chaos, which i'm happy with really. It could definitely look better but it certainly isnt going to detract from the absolute brilliance of the gameplay. Can't wait really, playing through the original on the GBA (at the same time as Golden Sun I think) is probably one of my favourite periods of gaming.

Wayforward are making this which makes the fp2 mobile game 3D aesthetic even odder as I've only known them for doing attractive 2D.

Their recent output has been well below the standard I expect from them, and this just looks ugly. 

Just now, alex3d said:

Fun fact: you can get a GBA plus AW games on ebay or facebook marketplace for something like 50-80 quid. Again, including the Game Boy Advance handheld!

But then... how would I play that on my Switch?

13 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just out of interest, do you also think a chess set should never be more than about a fiver?

Well I mean, chess was designed years ago, people putting out new sets now can't take too long. It's not like they have decisions to make over the pieces and board etc - it's just aesthetics right? And if I go to the theatre, I should only pay £1:99 to see something from Shakespeare as well I guess, because that's just re-cycled content too.

There are hours and hours and hours of god-teir gaming in Advance Wars - they very idea that anyone could say it's not worth the money based on the game itself (rather than them personally having already played it and bathed in the glory which absolutely would make it lower value to them) seems bonkers.

3 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Guys, if people want to pay money to buy a thing, that is fine; also if they think it is a tad expensive and they are going to pass, that is also fine.

Oooh hark at you with your reasonable approach and attitiude. Get with the times and find something to be genuinely concerned with grandad.

Chess.. waah? See this is why I think analogies should be banned on the internet, I now want to start talking about what the pieces are made of or some shit and what has that got to do with anything.

Gut feeling for me is that is too dear. I can't say it's not worth that, but given I've played them before and the 'interesting' new art style I'd need it to be in the impulse buy range of 20-30 quid. It's more time than anything. That 50 quid will buy me games I haven't played before, which for me is generally a better use of my time than a nostalgia wallow, as nice as that is sometimes.

12 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Chess.. waah? See this is why I think analogies should be banned on the internet, I now want to start talking about what the pieces are made of or some shit and what has that got to do with anything.

No, come on, let's go there. A cheap plastic set that plays chess would be Wargroove. It plays the game, is decent enough, but you know as you play it you bought it from Woolworths.

Spoiler

To be clear here, in case there is any doubt, I'm not being serious. I just think people need to dis-connect "I've played this before" from "that's not worth the money it's a rip-off" as they are different things. To somebody that's rinsed AW of course this re-release might not make sense, but to anyone that has not played it I'd challenge them to come up with a better way to spend £50 on gaming.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Well it would.

If you bought Advance Wars for £25 the day Advance Wars came out that's more than £41 in today's money. If you paid £25 for the sequel the day it came out that's more than £40 in today's money. So in effect about £82 for the pair at the time.

If you shop around you'll get the Switch version for £40 in 2021. The price of one of the originals new at the time.

If someone doesn't like the art style or feels they've played the originals to death and don't need to buy them again, fair enough. But to complain about the cost doesn't seem fair.

39 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

This guy’s enthusiasm for the AW music should be Rllmuk’s for the game.

It’s Advance Wars, it’ll be worth 40 quid all day long. It’s Nintendo, you’ll be able to sell it for 25 or 30 once you’re done, except, it’s Advance Wars, you’ll never be done.

I can’t wait!