IGNORED

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (ETA unknown)

Hitcher

On 22/10/2021 at 20:55, Let us measure said:

It's possibly a small thing, I don't know, but in the first AW remake reveal during the Direct it took a distractingly long time to transition from map view to side on battle view when entering into combat with any unit on the field. Like there was a two-second transition via black screen each time. Obviously if you turn combat animations off this wouldn't be a problem, but most new players would be playing with the default combat animations on, and these slow transitions would add up and change the pace of the game. It all seemed a bit un-Nintendo-like.

I wonder if the switch to 3D is causing more problems than imagined. 

The transitions are about twice as long, but also the animations themselves have a lot more dead time in them as you go from an empty backdrop, to the vehicles rolling in and the HUD elements bouncing in to place, to the attack, to the reaction. These aren't animations where you should need to add a fast-forward button, and yet they not only have one but they were leaning on it in the Treehouse demo almost the whole way through.

On 22/10/2021 at 15:08, Wiper said:

Yeah as much as I don't think this will seriously impact Nintendo's Christmas sales, I am surprised at the combination of lateness and severity of the delay — I'd guess either it means something has gone very wrong in the development of the game (and wasn't properly reported back); that there's been a late demand for a significant change to the game; or that Nintendo has seen some kind of forecast (maybe distribution related, or maybe an upcoming issue for their 2022 releases) and decided on a significant change to their schedule. I wonder if we'll ever know which?

Once it got delayed until after Christmas it was stepping on the toes of bigger games like Pokémon and Kirby which are due in January and February (some stories about Kirby also just say Spring) so how much of the delay is just down to Nintendo needing to find a space for it in their release schedule? The Pikmin 3 port was rumoured to have been ready for release for months before Nintendo announced it so it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo held back on releasing a finished game so they could give it a more favourable release window. 

6 minutes ago, bear said:

Once it got delayed until after Christmas it was stepping on the toes of bigger games like Pokémon and Kirby which are due in January and February (some stories about Kirby also just say Spring) so how much of the delay is just down to Nintendo needing to find a space for it in their release schedule? The Pikmin 3 port was rumoured to have been ready for release for months before Nintendo announced it so it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo held back on releasing a finished game so they could give it a more favourable release window. 

I’m not sure I buy that, I mean why announce a date in the first instance if they were unsure? 

My guess is that they could have released it in a more unpolished or unfinished state and picked up some extra sales for Christmas, but they decided to wait and get it into better shape. 

But the original date and schedule would have been decided some time ago. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Whilst I appreciate the delay being necessary to make sure everything runs as good as at it should, I’m more disappointed by this than perhaps I should be.

Because this was my Christmas Day game, I have one every year, and it’s been a Switch game for the last four years. 

So in lieu of any further discussion in this thread until probably the new year, I was wondering if anyone could suggest another. So far I’ve come up with these to choose one from, but any others I’m overlooking?

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Mario Party Allstars (or whatever the new one is called)

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Paper Mario

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Mario Golf Super Rush

Or what about Shin Megami Tensei? I’ve never played any of those before. 

Obviously I'm very excited for SMT V, but as it's not out yet I don't know whether to recommend it. The last, 3DS-only SMT IV was incredible, absolutely one of the best, most atmospheric dungeon crawlers ever made, to the point I'd recommend it even to people unsure of the genre, but I can't be sure the new entry will live up to that standard!

Of the games already out, Xenoblade Chronicles DE is the one I'd pick if you've not played the original (though I'd actually recommend XC2 over it if you've not already got it, though I think I'm in a minority there); the world exploration and anime-ness of the story make both good Christmas fare; the warm, expansive and unchallenging narratives work well.

I’m perhaps one of the few people who have played and completed XC2 and not played the first game (in fact XC2 was my Christmas 2017 game).

Your comments about SMT certainly make me excited for that too, I mean all these games are on my to buy list so I’ll end up playing them all anyway at some point, just maybe not by (this) Christmas. 

There’s such a rich catalogue now on Switch there’s a lot to choose from. 

On 24/10/2021 at 09:10, Stanley said:

Whilst I appreciate the delay being necessary to make sure everything runs as good as at it should, I’m more disappointed by this than perhaps I should be.

Because this was my Christmas Day game, I have one every year, and it’s been a Switch game for the last four years. 

So in lieu of any further discussion in this thread until probably the new year, I was wondering if anyone could suggest another. So far I’ve come up with these to choose one from, but any others I’m overlooking?

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Mario Party Allstars (or whatever the new one is called)

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Paper Mario

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Mario Golf Super Rush

Or what about Shin Megami Tensei? I’ve never played any of those before. 

Paper Mario was the best game on any platform last year and easily the best out of that list. 

On 24/10/2021 at 14:23, Let us measure said:

SMTV will allow you to recruit the demon Adramelech of Judeo-Christian lore, the angel Gabriel and then the Virgin Mary, train them up like macabre Pokemon, and then set off on a journey together to save Neo Tokyo from the apocalypse. 

Now it doesn't get much more Christmassy than that. 

Does it still have the chariot riding penis monster?

On 24/10/2021 at 08:23, Let us measure said:

SMTV will allow you to recruit the demon Adramelech of Judeo-Christian lore, the angel Gabriel and then the Virgin Mary, train them up like macabre Pokemon, and then set off on a journey together to save Neo Tokyo from the apocalypse. 

Now it doesn't get much more Christmassy than that. 

Took me a few seconds to realise you weren't talking about the old Ant and Dec kid's show here.

The eShop release date for Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp has been set for April 8th.

After being recently pushed back to Spring 2022, the Switch eShop has been updated with a scheduled release date for Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp.

Nintendo just stated that Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp will not be released on Switch on December 3, as planned, but rather in spring 2022, due to a lack of development time. The firm could not provide a more precise release date, but the system eShop has been updated with a scheduled release date: according to store information, this enhanced version of the strategic classics for GameBoy Advance will be launched on April 8, 2022.

Media outlets such as Nintendo Everything and Eurogamer Italia have reported this update in the console's digital store, and it appears that it is available on the same day in all countries. Vandal has confirmed that the Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp file on the Spanish eShop has already been modified to reflect the game's new scheduled release date of April 8. This is only visible on the console's own store, not on the console's web version, where "spring 2022" still appears.

image.png.15d54725c11d3db4994a1faa7110acca.png

Nintendo has yet to make an official announcement.

Whether you have a Nintendo Switch, you may check the eShop to see if Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp has a new release date. This is the only information we have at the moment, as Nintendo has yet to confirm that this is the day the long-awaited game will be released. We'll have to wait a few days to see if the new Advance War will be published on that date or if it was a mistake.

What is definite is that Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp is now available to purchase in the eShop for € 59.99 in Spain. This game will resurrect Intelligent Systems' Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising campaigns for the GameBoy Advance, giving them a complete makeover with a new look and new game modes like Combat Vs., a multiplayer mode for up to four players (both online and local).

On 24/10/2021 at 11:03, Stanley said:

I’m not sure I buy that, I mean why announce a date in the first instance if they were unsure? 

My guess is that they could have released it in a more unpolished or unfinished state and picked up some extra sales for Christmas, but they decided to wait and get it into better shape. 

But the original date and schedule would have been decided some time ago. 

I wasn't saying they were unsure about the original date, just that even falling two weeks behind schedule, which could be down to development issues or Covid* causing complications meant it was slipping into the release window of bigger Nintendo games so they needed to find it a favourable slot in their release calendar. 

*I haven't seen any stories about Wayforward being hit by a Covid outbreak but the pandemic is still causing issues for a lot of developers so it has to be kept in mind whenever we hear about a game falling behind schedule nowadays. 

Anyone fancy a spot of Advance Wars By Web in the meanwhile?

https://awbw.amarriner.com/

Easy to Play: AWBW is free, works entirely within the browser, and requires no downloads

Up to 16 Players: Play 1 vs. 1, on a team, or in a free-for-all with up to 15 other players

New Armies: 11 custom armies are available to play in addition to the original 5

All 28 Commanding Officers: Play as any CO from Advance Wars 1, 2, or DS

Custom Design Maps: Search our library of thousands of user-created maps, or design your own 

Competitions: Play competitively in the Global League ladder or participate in regular tournaments 

• 3 months later...

It's been so long since the last entry that I think a remake is nessesary and this does seem faithful to the original material: they seem passionate about it. However these are the same two games we've been playing and replaying for literally decades that a new game may make more sense.

I actually still have my gba micro (and it still has charge!), I also went through these again on emulation on vita (inc. days of ruin which is not included here). Will buy this but hope that it does ok and leads to more.

Advance Wars died at the same time Fire Emblem did on the DS. Both of their final entries on that system were po faced serious games and Fire Emblem had to lean into the anime tropes in Awakening to save the series. Advance Wars is perfect with AW2 being a step down from the original so I can’t see where they could go with a new title. 

For £50 they could have least included a translated version of Famicom Wars. 

1 hour ago, f2097 said:

I actually still have my gba micro (and it still has charge!), I also went through these again on emulation on vita (inc. days of ruin which is not included here). Will buy this but hope that it does ok and leads to more.

Advance Wars DS: Re-boot Camp.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember that yeah. I remeber Edge magazine being incredibly hot on AW1 on GBA - and that long delay to finally get to play it.

The right decision to delay it I think given the circumstances.

• Hitcher changed the title to Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (ETA unknown)