Jump to content

Football Thread 2021/2022


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Scruff said:

 

The fans (or I should say a large majority of the fans) have serious delusions of grandeur. I'm a West Ham fan and I know we're shit but as long as the team tries and we give it a good go with the occasional cup run I'm happy. Most Arsenal fans know they're underachieving but accept they're not in the best place right now. Chelsea are a bit of an anomaly in that they have the money and the team but a good portion of the fans don't expect constant success (I could be wrong, I think we only have @Dudley here as a Chelsea fan?) Palace fans are a bit like West Ham fans in that they want to see some good football and a team that tries (they may actually get the good football now Roy has gone) and last and definitely least are the mighty Spurs; biggest team in London beginning with T with the fans who think they should be conquering Europe every season and giving an annual shoeing to Barcelona and Madrid, while pitying their North London neighbours and calling West Ham derogatory names.

 

(I know I've missed a few London clubs but Spurs fans have contempt for their London Premier rivals* so jeebus knows what they think of the Championship and lower clubs) 

 

*aware Brentford are not listed! They're new boys and I'm happy to see them in the top div.

 

Lols what a load of rubbish, Spurs fans have long been self deprecating and famous for valuing the style of football played over results if it comes to it. I’m sure there are plenty of more modern fans who exhibit some of the delusions as you say but that’s not the outlook of the majority and much like AFTV I’m sure as a non fan of the club your opinion is based upon those who shout the loudest on social media.

 

Ive not met a Spurs fan that has any expectations going into any game let alone a season / cup / Europe and certainly wherever I’ve sat in the ground or any podcast I’ve listened to backs that up.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to agree with Shimmy here - that’s just not true of any Spurs fan who has supported the club for longer than the last few years, because we’ve lived through some awful football. If any club picks up young fans while the club is doing well, of course that’s what they’re going to expect. Look at the way younger Man Utd/Arsenal fans who just grew up in the Ferguson/Wenger eras react to failure. Personally I always expect the worst, because I’ve supported Spurs since the late 70s and although I’ve seen them win a few cups, it’s mostly ‘nearlys’ and a good 20 years where we were utter shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the pile on against Spurs is a bit of the bucket of crabs mentality playing out at club level, just like it did with England fans during the Euros.  Basically it's funny for complicated but stupid reasons, we'd all rather see a team who already wins continuing to win because it's easier to deal with than seeing a new face get ahead, especially if they don't appear to have an unfair advantage like oil money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s young (23) got three years left on his contract and proven himself in the Premier League to a level where England took him to the Euros.   Brighton are in a strong “make us an offer we cannot refuse” position.   I’m sure there are players out there who might represent better value for money, especially in the Championship or overseas but if you want a guy who is going to hit the ground running and still have resale value in four years then it’s £50m.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Scruff said:

Chelsea are a bit of an anomaly in that they have the money and the team but a good portion of the fans don't expect constant success (I could be wrong, I think we only have @Dudley here as a Chelsea fan?)

 

They were in division 2 when I started following them, it hasn't stopped being bizarre yet.  Also Chelsea have a habit of winning the big prizes during periods where they've otherwise looked awful. While it just about ended ok, did Chelsea's PL campaign this season and inability to score ever look like the year they'd also stomp Europe?

 

13 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Why are they so hated then? Im not from London or the south but ive gathered Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham fans maybe other teams in London hate Tottenham the most, why?

 

They seem to have a disproportionate number of those fans who won't shut the fuck up when they win anything, however meaningless but go on holiday as soon as it goes even slightly wrong. (see also Arsenal's 4th places and 'do you get a trophy for that?') Also complain about diving because Spurs "Aren't that sort of club" but employed Kane and Alli.

 

Liverpool have a similar issue.

 

Every other club of course has reputations for same or other things to various degrees of actual deserved.

 

Equally though, the tendency of Chelsea fans to insert "we hate tottenham" into everything, including when actually playing fucking Arsenal of all teams is super tedious and a credit to Tottenham if anything.  Just like QPR won't shut up about Chelsea (even when playing Fulham) despite literally never been mentioned by anyone at the Bridge.

 

For full disclosure, if Chelsea have a problem it's still carrying some historic racists, although not to the extent West Ham and Millwall do. Thankfully if they dare say anything at matches they get drowned out instantly.  It also stands in sharp contrast to the actions of the club,  which included not furloughing anyone during COVID, donating the use of an entire hotel to NHS staff and guaranteeing part time stewards wages for games that never happened.  I'm sure fans of other clubs will have similar tales depending on what their club had access to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, the few barely kicking a balls he did do included a reasonably vital hat trick and the goal that secured passage out of the groups as I recall.


4 kicks then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Adrock said:

Ben White, £50 million? Is he that good? I haven't really seen him play enough to evaluate him. I've read the hype about him though.

I think he's fine. From a personal perspective, it's easier for us to let him go than Adam Webster who is more crucial to our defence insofar as we seemed rubbish when he was injured last season. We can live without Ben White and I assume the 50m is really for the inconvenience of having to find or develop another player rather than because he's worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that the name may not mean a lot to many in here but George Curtis has died. He captained Coventry from the fourth division to the first but is probably best know for being joint manager when we won the cup in 87. The term club legend is thrown around far too easily nowadays but in this case I think that it’s deserved. 

97934DD6-D65D-4A82-8C5E-784BCD1372FB.jpeg

D0CF340E-9F28-4FAF-9C14-F042DF8D654E.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, AfromB said:

I know that the name may not mean a lot to many in here but George Curtis has died. He captained Coventry from the fourth division to the first but is probably best know for being joint manager when we won the cup in 87. The term club legend is thrown around far too easily nowadays but in this case I think that it’s deserved. 

97934DD6-D65D-4A82-8C5E-784BCD1372FB.jpeg

D0CF340E-9F28-4FAF-9C14-F042DF8D654E.jpeg

 

One of the great days, that. Houchen's header, and Old Ted.

 

 

 

Wish that Kilcline story was up somewhere....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Palace have made another signing, another younger player with potential rather than an overpaid loanee that does fuck all or a 31 year old with a heavy pay cheque!

 

Marc Guehi from Chelsea on a 5 year deal, just off a decent season and a half at Swansea.

 

At 21 he is 10 years younger than our next youngest central defender (Martin Kelly at 31, and he's only a squad player/back up) 

 

Announced today, but was leaked yesterday via a shitty photo someone snuck out of the 'hold up the shirt with the manager' shoot.

 

E6ls2oVUcAQ3m3g?format=jpg&name=large 

 

Plenty of people claimed the picture was a fake, my favourite response was: "If that's fake it's both the best and shittest photoshop effort all at once"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Derby County shitshow continues.

 

So we currently have 9 senior outfield players. By which I mean players who have played more than one match for ours, or any, pro team.

 

We're under an embargo for shit we've done, which is fair enough, which says we can sign out of contract players on 1 year contracts or have half season loans.

 

Which would be just about ok, except there's a rule that states a team can only do this up until they have 23 players of professional standing. The definition of which is a player who has played one professional app. And last season, due to covid, we were forced to put out an entire youth team in the cup. So those kids are now considered in professional standing.

 

So we can't sign anyone, and we can't even put out a full squad of players who have played at any professional level. We've appealed to the EFL, but they hate us, so I'm expecting a very, very shit season.

 

It's amazing how different things would be if we'd beaten Villa in the playoffs. I reckon they could have been even more screwed if they didn't win that match. Derby have gone a number of years pushing FFP a bit too far to try and get promoted and it's biting them bigtime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

The Derby County shitshow continues.

 

So we currently have 9 senior outfield players. By which I mean players who have played more than one match for ours, or any, pro team.

 

We're under an embargo for shit we've done, which is fair enough, which says we can sign out of contract players on 1 year contracts or have half season loans.

 

Which would be just about ok, except there's a rule that states a team can only do this up until they have 23 players of professional standing. The definition of which is a player who has played one professional app. And last season, due to covid, we were forced to put out an entire youth team in the cup. So those kids are now considered in professional standing.

 

So we can't sign anyone, and we can't even put out a full squad of players who have played at any professional level. We've appealed to the EFL, but they hate us, so I'm expecting a very, very shit season.

 

It's amazing how different things would be if we'd beaten Villa in the playoffs. I reckon they could have been even more screwed if they didn't win that match. Derby have gone a number of years pushing FFP a bit too far to try and get promoted and it's biting them bigtime.

 

 

First thing I thought when I was reading this is how much of a sliding doors moment that playoff game was.  With Villa I'm not so sure what would have happened, losing the 2018 Playoff Final is the worst I've ever felt in 30+ years of following Villa (certainly worse than relegation which came so early in the season I was totally prepared for it when people started trying to take the piss) and the weeks following that result saw us on the brink of bankruptcy.  I genuinely thought the club would be out of business and was wondering what division the Phoenix Club would have to start in, but it seems that the fact the club was on it's knees forced Dr Tony Xia to sell up which probably wouldn't have happened if the club had have been promoted and I'm pretty sure the first season back up would have ended in relegation if the state of the squad who went up and the club's recruitment policy was anything to go by.   The new owners seemed to come in with a plan to get promoted in 2019/20 and had budgeted accordingly, how they would achieve that is beyond me but the recruitment of Christian Purslow who was involved in drawing up FFP regulations as far as I'm aware is probably key.  We seem to be on track now, staying up in 2019/20 was huge because the squad was showing signs of being pretty good and it gave us our first stable/positive summer in about a decade which is really quite nice if only for novelty value.  

 

As for Derby I've got a weird soft spot for them based purely on one of my workmates is a season ticket holder at Derby who tries to get to at least 10 away games a year too. He's furious with everything about football now and has been pretty much since the club sacked Richard Keogh in one of the most ridiculous bits of mismanagement I've ever seen.  I hope they sort themselves out soon because they are a big club with a proud history, but I think they'll do well to stay up next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, skadupuk said:

Palace have made another signing, another younger player with potential rather than an overpaid loanee that does fuck all or a 31 year old with a heavy pay cheque!

 

Marc Guehi from Chelsea on a 5 year deal, just off a decent season and a half at Swansea.

 

At 21 he is 10 years younger than our next youngest central defender (Martin Kelly at 31, and he's only a squad player/back up) 

 

Announced today, but was leaked yesterday via a shitty photo someone snuck out of the 'hold up the shirt with the manager' shoot.

 

E6ls2oVUcAQ3m3g?format=jpg&name=large 

 

Plenty of people claimed the picture was a fake, my favourite response was: "If that's fake it's both the best and shittest photoshop effort all at once"

He was brilliant for Swansea last season. Good signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Timmo said:

The Derby County shitshow continues.

 

So we currently have 9 senior outfield players. By which I mean players who have played more than one match for ours, or any, pro team.

 

We're under an embargo for shit we've done, which is fair enough, which says we can sign out of contract players on 1 year contracts or have half season loans.

 

Which would be just about ok, except there's a rule that states a team can only do this up until they have 23 players of professional standing. The definition of which is a player who has played one professional app. And last season, due to covid, we were forced to put out an entire youth team in the cup. So those kids are now considered in professional standing.

 

So we can't sign anyone, and we can't even put out a full squad of players who have played at any professional level. We've appealed to the EFL, but they hate us, so I'm expecting a very, very shit season.

 

It's amazing how different things would be if we'd beaten Villa in the playoffs. I reckon they could have been even more screwed if they didn't win that match. Derby have gone a number of years pushing FFP a bit too far to try and get promoted and it's biting them bigtime.

Do you think you'd have been better off going down last season? - obviously less TV money in League One and a chance of falling further etc, but sounds like you are nailed on to go down this year if you can't put 11 players out?

 

Although there doesn't seem to be a lot of spending/recruitment going on in the Championship so it could be pretty even?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Do you think you'd have been better off going down last season? - obviously less TV money in League One and a chance of falling further etc, but sounds like you are nailed on to go down this year if you can't put 11 players out?

 

Although there doesn't seem to be a lot of spending/recruitment going on in the Championship so it could be pretty even?

 

I think it's extremely rare that clubs going down is a good thing. Perhaps only when a team needs a refresh and has a bit of money. Derby certainly don't have that. If we had have gone down then there was no way we were being promoted, another relegation would be more likely.

 

I'm eternally optimistic with football, and as you have pointed out there are other clubs who aren't able to refresh their squads. Many of the players we've lost were deadwood, so that is good, and I think survival is far from impossible if we get lucky with injuries. Getting Bielik back at the end of the year could be massive as well, he carried us during Rooney's good patch. His injury crippled the team.

 

There has since been probably our first good news in months late this morning with an appeal supposedly being likely to succeed, meaning we can get in some free transfers and loans. Dare I say a certain Ravel Morrison looked really good on Saturday. We're scraping the scrapings at this stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-premier-league-footballer-arrested-24571071

 

Same nationality as a popular supermarket chain, apparently.

 

15 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Trending with that name is never a good look. 

431EA532-FED5-47F5-A370-A7E70E21D794.png

 

13 hours ago, mirodo said:

Innocent until proven Gylfi. 

 

His wife came out saying it's not him.  Which begs the question: why couldn't he come out and say it's not him? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.