Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

4 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I’d probably be a bit careful about throwing names about in public at this point in the story.

fair point, removed the link but you just search for a name on google and it pops up on main page, its not exactly dark web or TOR browser stuff. 

Really not happy with Wolves essentially scrapping the loyalty points scheme for non-season ticket holders.  Basically, if you want to buy a membership now, the points accrued from previous games are now worth zilch.

It's a kick in the balls for fans who can't afford a full STH and rely on accruing points from other fixtures.

However, those 'special' fans who attended more than others can apply for a 'Membership Plus' scheme, which will recognise previously attended games.  Oh - but that's an extra £20 ON TOP OF the membership fee.  So £50 before you've seen a ball kicked and even bought a match ticket.

There have been a few signs this summer that the club are looking at profit over fans to the extent that they're starting to make loyal supporters think twice.

With this "footballer", we know it's a 31 year old senior international playing for Everton. That is public knowledge.

So that leaves the following names.

Fabian Delph, if you call him a senior international when he's not won a cap since 2019.

Gylfi Sigurdsson.

52 minutes ago, Dudley said:

With this "footballer", we know it's a 31 year old senior international playing for Everton. That is public knowledge.

Fabian Delph, if you call him a senior international when he's not won a cap since 2019.

Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Was all over the Swans forums on the weekend that it was Gylfi.  Im gutted, he was one of my favourite Swans players of all time.

30 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Celtic game was entertaining enough, managed to catch the second half. Not winning anything this year though unless they get a new goalie in. 

New goalie and a whole new defence at the minimum. 

Can see what Postecoglu is going for though and I'm looking forward to some exciting football. 

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Yeah, definitely not Delph

Boca Juniors are out of the Copa America on penalties, after having VAR rule a goal out for offside. And oh boy, it's a close one.

So naturally, they quietly accepted the result and respected the pressure on the officials to decide the fine margins of a VAR call...

lol of course not.

They smashed up the VAR area, charged the Atletico dressing room, had running fights throughout the stadium, got teargassed in their own dressing room and ended up with 8 players arrested.

The VAR Call:

Boca smashing shit up:

Also, because football off-season is so quiet and devoid of talking points, The Netherlands women's team have just beaten Zambia 10-3 at the Olympics.

The excellently named Barbra Banda grabbing a consolation hat-trick for the Africans.

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

Boca Juniors are out of the Copa America on penalties, after having VAR rule a goal out for offside. And oh boy, it's a close one.

So naturally, they quietly accepted the result and respected the pressure on the officials to decide the fine margins of a VAR call...

lol of course not.

They smashed up the VAR area, charged the Atletico dressing room, had running fights throughout the stadium, got teargassed in their own dressing room and ended up with 8 players arrested.

The VAR Call:

Boca smashing shit up:

How that can be decisively called is beyond me.

He should never have got the England Women’s team job and moving to Inter Miami only because he’s friend with Beckham is resulting in a completely predictable outcome.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

He should never have got the England Women’s team job and moving to Inter Miami only because he’s friend with Beckham is resulting in a completely predictable outcome.

Blaming the players always works out well. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

He's the anti-Ted Lasso.

I watched highlights of that 5-0 because it's a scoreline that asks; what happened there then? Not that surprising i guess it has a lot to do with kamikaze defending where their positioning is more vertical than horizontal and they're outnumbered and hopelessly committing. A few ex defender pro pundits would have an aneurisim over this:

'The players need to take a long hard look at themselves' suggests lack of effort, but i love the commitment of the second to last defender who knows there's a striker making a run behind him and sees the ball carrying opposition player running into acres of space but thinks; i can close him down, i've got this! Only for the player to predictably slip the ball through to the striker as the defender swings his arms dramatically and does a little skip like; i used the last of my energy up to give my all to prevent that godammit. All the while the other defender has spent the last 4 seconds pointlessly jogging, neither following the run or closing down, doing that knackered defender thing of looking like they're passively observing the game even though their job is to nullify the action happening.

Whenever a manager goes on these high conceding losing streaking it's a blunt reminder that's how any of us would do as a manager isn't it though.

also watching those highlights at one point the commentator says 'and there's Higuaín'...i didn't know he played for Inter Miami, is it another Higuaín because the guy running looks like Tim Howard.

Ryan%20Meyer%20-%207B29568C-51A4-4D6F-B0

just that weird thing of finding out a player you've watched for what seems like several lifetimes is in fact somehow younger than you but has visually aged 20 years in 18 months.