Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Phil Neville has described the remaining 23 matches left for Miami in the MLS as being like '23 cup finals'

Has anybody explained to him you can't get relegated ?

They will do, after he's finished reading 'Coaching for Dummies'.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

Phil Neville has described the remaining 23 matches left for Miami in the MLS as being like '23 cup finals'

Has anybody explained to him you can't get relegated ?

He'll find a way.

The Kane stories seem to be amping up this morning about City for £160m & £400k a week wages.

The fee sounds high for a 28y old, he's a brilliant striker and also has some added value in being very clean off pitch too so doesn't seem like adding trouble to your squad (for example Mbappe looks to be increasing in Ego and Haaland is an unknown quantity there).

If you're City though with pots of cash and a short term abolition of FFP I'd have thought Haaland is the better long term bet for a bit more cash, unless the thought is his style doesn't fit in with what Pep wants - Kane is showing more in build up play each season.

City aren't exactly struggling and are looking for that final piece to push over into a CL win - not a lot of those around in their prime. 

I wonder whether City have held off Haaland because of how they handled him in the Champions’ League. He wasn’t particularly effective in either game and maybe Pep feels he’s not right for their system. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

The Kane stories seem to be amping up this morning about City for £160m & £400k a week wages.

Pretty scathing from a Man City source

Manchester City have made it plain that talk they have agreed a £160million deal for Tottenham striker Harry Kane is nonsense.

And club sources say that the Blues will NEVER pay that kind of sum for a player - a fee that would have doubled their current record and lumped £30million on top.

Whoever gave the Sun this (speculation rife that it's from Kane's agent/brother) has really fucked it, Levy won't be accepting less than that now. 

I've seen Dortmund repeatedly say Haaland isn't for sale and take it with a huge pinch of salt - they may not financially need to sell but once the release clause kicks in any bidding war next season goes straight into his agents pocket and bumps up wages - I'm sure if somebody tested them with a firm huge bid they would have to think about it seriously.

The clause is so relatively low compared to what the market rate would be, even in a pandemic.

There does seem to be a lot of rumours and so on - either the papers are making it up or the agents are planting stories to get things moving but it doesn't feel like there is a lot going on.

After all, Grealish was supposed to be a Man Utd player by now (I literally just went to the Graun to check if Sancho had actually signed) and both Everton and Villa have supposedly "declared interest" in Dwight McNeil.

(£25m worth in Everton's case.  Ha ha ha fuck off.)

Lots of players still on holiday, the Gold Cup is on, Copa Libertadores just finished a round, and theres the Olympic teams. I suspect it's going to take a couple of the big transfers to happen to get things truly moving, and even then I reckon it's going to be a lot of late activity this window.

In respect of McNeil, I think he might be one of a few Villa have in the fire in the same kind of position. Whether he's first choice in that list, who knows.

There's often a kind of clog in transfer windows where it seems everyone is trying to sort out a replacement, no-one wants to sell until they know they've got their replacement sorted, no-one's got the money to buy until they've sold their big-money star, that sort of thing.  It's being exacerbated by the two big Spanish clubs needing to sell before they can buy and nobody feeling particularly inclined to buy their overpaid flops.  If the Verane transfer to Man Utd happens we might see things start to move.  

The Kane thing is fascinating.  Arguably the best striker in the world, he's keen to move, but it looks extremely unlikely that he will, and he's going to end up stranded at what is now, lets face it, an upper-mid-table team with a squad that isn't going to take them up the table.

10 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

The Irish leagues always produce one or two absolutely incredible goals a season don’t they?

Also now I want to see Waterford play Watford somehow.  

You could go with Dennis Waterman. 

On 21/07/2021 at 15:46, Pants McSkill said:

Also, because football off-season is so quiet and devoid of talking points, The Netherlands women's team have just beaten Zambia 10-3 at the Olympics.

The excellently named Barbra Banda grabbing a consolation hat-trick for the Africans.

She's scored another hat-trick today in a 4-4 draw with China.

4 hours ago, Adrock said:

Best striker in the world? You having a laugh? Lewandoski has been the best for a good few years now, none better than he.

I said "arguably" not indisputably. :rolleyes:

They're both great players. The argument for Kane being the better player would be that he has a more rounded game, and is a superb creater of goals as well as a goalscorer.  His timing and weighting of a pass is exceptional.  He also plays for a weaker team than Lewandowski, and in a stronger league.  

I'm not making the argument that one is better than the other though - just saying that you could make a case for either.  

Losing possession for 18 months will do that to you.

It's kinda sad really. I think he's got the ability to be a very good player. But coming in to a struggling team and making a big step up put a strain on his name and then losing possession for 18 months has people queuing up to sack him off. There's a kind of joy in his failing.

If only he'd not conceded that goal kick.