IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

To be fair that can be quite amusing sometimes, every time Liverpool scored in the 5-0 at Old Trafford they both sounded like their dog had just died. But lets face it Tyler is the only one who is going anywhere anytime soon, unless Neville suddenly ends up in charge of United he along with Carragher is going to be part of the Sky coverage for decades to come. 

Neville has spoken quite a bit before that he doesn't want to be doing this role for too long and he has a lot of other business interests to focus on when he gets bored. I think Carragher will be happy to be a career pundit now though, with Richards if he wants to. 

14 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Enjoyable game for a 1-0 I thought. We were lucky fernandes messed up that shot. 

Yeah, it was a good game although from my perspective I don't know if I'd describe it as "enjoyable". :lol:

That Fernandes chance was huge, but your lot were due a bit of luck against us, considering the match at Molineux with the miracle save by De Gea, Wan-Bissaka's goal-line clearance, and the foul in the build-up to the winning goal.  There was also that game where Rashford scored a jammy last-minute deflected goal to win it.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, it was a good game although from my perspective I don't know if I'd describe it as "enjoyable". :lol:

That Fernandes chance was huge, but your lot were due a bit of luck against us, considering the match at Molineux with the miracle save by De Gea, Wan-Bissaka's goal-line clearance, and the foul in the build-up to the winning goal.  There was also that game where Rashford scored a jammy last-minute deflected goal to win it.

All fair points.

I don't think any of our games post promotion have been won by more than one goal.  All very close in terms of score and balance I'd say.

He won La Liga with them last season and Athletico are on a downward trajectory. It’s close to the end of his career and this would be his last big contract so I can understand why he would.

Re the question about who you'd employ as a dream football coverage line-up. Surely the only correct answer is to put Roy Keane, Ian Wright and Micah Richards into every role and just wait and watch for when Roy Keane breaks.

Honestly I hate those confected ragers on Sky Sports, they are fun for a minute or two, but then they get pointless and embarrassing quite quickly. That Souness and Carragher blow up was a prime example, just incredibly awkward and weird television. If as a fan you genuinely feel that level of aggression and emotion after a negative result, you need to step away and reflect on your relationship with the game, but the way that Sky Sports present it as if this is a usual and typical way to react to sport, is incredibly unhealthy imo.

3 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Why would Trippier want to leave Madrid for Newcastle? Well, money obviously. But depressing to see players leave playing at the highest level just for the extra £££. 

I don't know...

- You get to play in your home country

- You get to help a struggling team climb back to some sort of glory. Even if Newcastle get relegated trying to top the championship might actually be fun. I always thought it was really lame that Messi joined PSG. Why join a club that's just gonna win everything regardless of whether you're with them or not. I mean it's like playing Slay the Spire endlessly on normal mode. Eventually you're going to want to try Ascension, right? 

- Maybe it's easier to get seen by Gareth for the England squad?

God it feels good to not only beat one of the bigger sides, but to do so away from home and fully deserve the points.

An excellent performance and a lovely goal to win it too.  I almost wish I was 14 again so I could have bragging rights against the countless glory hunters at school.

Thought Ruben Neves was exceptional.  He's having a great season and seems to fall off the radar if he's not scoring 30 yard thunderbastards.

9 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I don't know...

- You get to play in your home country

- You get to help a struggling team climb back to some sort of glory. Even if Newcastle get relegated trying to top the championship might actually be fun. I always thought it was really lame that Messi joined PSG. Why join a club that's just gonna win everything regardless of whether you're with them or not. I mean it's like playing Slay the Spire endlessly on normal mode. Eventually you're going to want to try Ascension, right? 

- Maybe it's easier to get seen by Gareth for the England squad?

- I have more respect for players who want the challenge of adapting to a new footballing culture and Trippier did that really well. 

- He gets to get relegated and play against Preston and Luton not some of the biggest teams in world football or competing in the champions league.

- He’ll get seen a lot in the championship. I think in modern football  Southgate has the resources to assess players wherever they play in the world. 

It’s solely for the monies. Not for some ideological project to get a blood funded team back to some mythological place their fans believe they belong. Nothing against it but don’t kid yourself it’s anything other than money. 

Trippier played under Howe at Burnley too, so I'm sure that's another (minor) reason why he's happy to go there. It's obviously all about the money but there must be some pride at being lined up as the first signing under the new ownership. 

Interestingly, Trippier himself credits Dyche with straightening him out and getting him to focus on football.  By his own account, he was not as professional as he could have been when Howe was in charge - nothing stupid, just eating the wrong food, nights out etc, the usual for a 20 year old kid - but Howe is not that interested in player discipline away from the training ground.  Dyche rode him quite hard for the first few months and backed off when he and Tripps saw the benefit on the pitch.

It seems mad that there's still no clarity on what constitutes a postponement. It's gone from Covid cases, to illness, now injury and players being unavailable because of intentional commitments. Surely three of those are just tough titties? They really should introduce a sort of cup-tie thing at least so players bought after the initial match date can't play in the rearranged fixture. Integrity of the league my Aunt Fanny.

I am not doubting Liverpool here in any way, shape or form, but I notice that most likely due to the fairly inept handling of requests so far by the governing bodies, they have decided to make their postponement request completely public well before the governing body has a chance to decide whether to accept it. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I am not doubting Liverpool here in any way, shape or form, but I notice that most likely due to the fairly inept handling of requests so far by the governing bodies, they have decided to make their postponement request completely public well before the governing body has a chance to decide whether to accept it. 

They say in the BBC article the request was made now to avoid having fans travel (and by implication only find out Thursday afternoon it's been cancelled) - so what you've said, essentially. They are, to all intents and purposes, at least putting pressure on the EFL to make a quick(er) decision on it.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's obvious some clubs are gaming the situation, but the EFL have made that incredibly easy to do as there's seemingly no defined rules. Somethings got to give.

There are rules though - 14 players (11 + 3 subs). I don't think it should be played though. If its bad enough to close the training ground then there are probably more important things to worry about. 

22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

There are rules though - 14 players (11 + 3 subs). I don't think it should be played though. If its bad enough to close the training ground then there are probably more important things to worry about. 

Well yeah, but for some games we're like "health is more important" and in other cases clubs are having to crack on regardless. The 14 players thing is such a poor yardstick to have to reach too when every club has a development pool of dozens of professional players that seemingly don't count if you don't fancy playing them. Does the manager count in the metric too? What about support staff? Why do some clubs declare positive Covid results and others just say they have players unavailable? It's definitely being diddled.

It is an absolute fucking nonsense and it is obvious some teams could take advantage. Most obviously if you have key players out for AFCON or you are desperate to strengthen in the transfer window, it makes total sense to try to push fixtures back to when those signings/players are available.

Now it is impossible to say whether that is happening or not but that is mainly down to the lack of transparency. I'd love to know for example what the definition of an "injury" is and how that is demonstrated to and verified by the Premier League.