IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

Millwall vs Palace today live on ITV with a 12:45 kick-off.

If you enjoy watching games with an atmosphere, this will be bouncing, as it's a proper South London derby.

While both clubs have more immediate rivals (West Ham for us, Brighton for the Eagles), it's safe to say it's two clubs who do not get along.

As for insider knowledge, we've only been able to name 15 players for the last two games (thnx Covid), including a 15 year old Zak Lovelace. We have some retuning players, but it's a punt on what our team will be. Jed Wallace is the player to watch out for if he makes it. I've been pleasantly surprised we've kept hold of him in the last couple of transfer windows, although he might be off to Besiktas in the summer. Benik Afobe used to be 'the next big thing' at Arsenal, and we'll launch all corners & free kicks at 6'6 Jake Cooper. He's no stranger to headed FA cup goals.

Glad we could help you fill your ground for a change 😉

Glad the 3rd kit is getting a run out, is a great design and makes a nice change.

We lack Zaha and Ayew and Kouyate (AFCON) and have a number of players only just back from Covid, on paper we should still be too strong, so that'sa guaranteed 1-0 Milwall win with an own goal in the 94th minute. 

9 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Not cleared by the medical team yet. Ojo took a little while to settle in (which isn't uncommon with us), but he's got some real quality in him. 

Yeah I agree, Ojo always looked a player to me, surprised he hasn’t stepped up from championship level to be honest

48 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah I agree, Ojo always looked a player to me, surprised he hasn’t stepped up from championship level to be honest

The two halves of this game are a pretty spot on representation of his skills vs mentality.

28 minutes ago, glb said:

The Saudi investment group desperately checking if they kept a receipt…

Eddie Howe didn't come with the club. 

Everton are absolutely shocking again. 

I dunno whether limping out of the Cup at home to a lower division side is worse than losing to a lower division side at home in front of a full house of expectant fans.  I suspect not.

33 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Eddie Howe didn't come with the club. 

Everton are absolutely shocking again. 

That they appointed him suggests they might not be the great hope Newcastle fans were desperate for.

35 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I dunno whether limping out of the Cup at home to a lower division side is worse than losing to a lower division side at home in front of a full house of expectant fans.  I suspect not.

What kind of team did he put out for the match, was it reserves and youngsters? 

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What kind of team did he put out for the match, was it reserves and youngsters? 

14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Burnley and Newcastle both put out pretty strong sides.

Yes and No.

At first glance, the starting XI was fairly strong however if you know the squad, it basically screamed Covid outbreak.  You would have expected Bardsley to come in for Lowton at RB.  The latter ended up playing LB as neither Charlie Taylor nor Erik Pieters were in the squad.  Tarkowski and Mee were the CBs when everyone was expecting  Kevin Long (sub, recovering from Covid) and missing Nathan Collins entirely, presumably due to a positive test as he was doing all the pre-match buildup interviews during the week.

The midfield was three central midfielders in Westwood, Brownhill and Stephens plus Aaron Lennon.  No Gudmundsson or McNeil on the bench and again, you would have expected Pieters to fill in.

Up front, Wood / Rodriguez with the former a surprise as Vydra suddenly wasn't available.  Barnes still out through injury.

The bench was Jack Cork and a bunch of U23s.  So basically 13 of what you would call a usual matchday squad with seven of them starting.

None of this should take anything away from Huddersfield, who deserved their win.

The Cambridge goal against Newcastle is brilliantly shit defending by Newcastle.

Ex Cardiff player is charge of Cambridge as well!

The FA Cup is the best and fuck anyone trying to diminish it further and further. 

20 years ago - can’t see anything ever topping this for best game and atmosphere that I’ll ever attend

That West Ham goal stinks.  Clearly off-side and totally preventing the keeper from collecting the ball.  

It is not VAR which is shite but the prats who are using it!!!!