IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I don’t think it can be one case, there’s been about half a dozen in the last week or so by all accounts. Even if you’ve finished quarantine I don’t think it necessarily means you’re all set to play 90 minutes of top flight football.

The whole thing is mad though. From what I’ve read some clubs have been properly belt and braces and others haven’t introduced any measures at all. By looking after their players some teams have then been run into the ground with fixture congestion. They should’ve either paused the league for a month or made teams fulfil their fixtures as this system is being abused like no-one’s business. 

18 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I don’t think it can be one case, there’s been about half a dozen in the last week or so by all accounts. Even if you’ve finished quarantine I don’t think it necessarily means you’re all set to play 90 minutes of top flight football.

The whole thing is mad though. From what I’ve read some clubs have been properly belt and braces and others haven’t introduced any measures at all. By looking after their players some teams have then been run into the ground with fixture congestion. They should’ve either paused the league for a month or made teams fulfil their fixtures as this system is being abused like no-one’s business. 

Having got a bit more clarity, Burnley had 11 players not in COVID isolation and then Chris Wood gets his release clause triggered.  But according to some cunt on TalkShite, we're the ones gaming the system and we can always recall the U23 striker that we have out on loan.

The one that did his cruciate three months ago and is out until at least the end of the season?  Yes, that one.

It's nothing new, but the sheer ignorance of basic facts and pride in not doing 30 seconds of research displayed by people paid to talk about football in the national media is staggering.

We (West Ham) haven't requested any games cancelled despite having our entire first team defence out due to covid or injuries. We've had one game cancelled (Norwich which they requested) and as of this coming Sunday we'll have played 3 games in 7 days. All this while other teams have multiple covid hits that then turn out to be false positives (1 in 1000 according to the NHS, strange coincidence it's the same team that is pretty much all asthmatic..) and others get games called off to bed players or managers in or buy some bodies in the window.

The whole thing is a complete farce.

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

I think I've heard this asthma thing before regarding Liverpool - isn't it all just total made-up bollocks? I don't think it's ever been reported by anyone credible? 

It probably is but I believe the rumours of it, and the cycling they do more now after this whole 'covid' bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Scruff said:

It probably is but I believe the rumours of it, and the cycling they do more now after this whole 'covid' bollocks.

I think the covid test results were a bit suspect but this asthma thing and talks of 'cycling' are getting into tin foil hat territory. As much as it pains me to admit it - Liverpool just have really good players. 

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Arsenal playing the covid card - despite apparently having only one case. Injuries, suspension and afcon shouldn't be enough to get a game postponed. 

Lack of class from Arsenal relying on one covid case  😘 - again after last night Hillsborough chants from the majority of the fans.  

Enjoyed the yelps from a few cocky cockneys as they get legged down Utting Ave by some scruffs after they got in the face of a few regulars. Hope they didn’t get caught.

15 minutes ago, Scruff said:

It’s probably total bollocks - but you believe it 🤣

1 minute ago, paulie12 said:

It’s probably total bollocks - but you believe it 🤣

I said I believe it "more now". We all know all professional teams will do anything to get an upper hand so the fact that some may be dabbling with caffeine and salbutamol - just like some use horse placentas to heal injuries or give HGH to underdeveloped Argentines or some just outright buy results - shouldn't surprise anyone. Do I think Liverpool are doing it? No, but their recent covid shenanigans leaves a very bad taste just like Arsenal are doing now with crying off games due to AFCON absences ect.  

I'll take that undeserved point all day long, Brighton need to question how they didn't take us dow.

Across the two games Palace should have won the first and Brighton the second, both would have been better off points wise if that had happened.

This felt like that game the other season where we dominated for the whole game then Ayew score and Palace took all 3 points. When Benteke came on I assumed that was going to happen again.

Shite penalty though. Why Gross was taking it when Maupay, Trossard and MacAllister were on the pitch, I'll never know. Probably had the nerve.

Still, not a good result but not terrible.

Nice to see Sky trotting out professional bellacher Gary Neville so he can finally be outraged about a postponement. Wouldn’t happen to be because it’s a super Sunday game would it? Didn’t hear him complaining that much when Brentford or Burnley were getting called off. 

People say Lukaku needs to have more humility if his first touch as a professional footballer is as bad as it is. I agree...also when you're racing towards the box diagonally from the right and you can shoot or pass in the visible player alongside you, don't pass awkwardly at the runner to your right who is likely offside and who you can't see. Tuchel threw his arms up more at Ziyech ballsing up the simplest through ball to Lukaku minutes later. 

I love these big games, they have the tension of semi finals and finals to me because the league rests on them. Really need Chelsea to win and these moments when they get through the lines and press couldn't matter more...going to end up with a City 1 nil defender header or Sterling penalty. 

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Nice to see Sky trotting out professional bellacher Gary Neville so he can finally be outraged about a postponement. Wouldn’t happen to be because it’s a super Sunday game would it? Didn’t hear him complaining that much when Brentford or Burnley were getting called off. 

He’s such a quim. I respected him as a player because he’s just the sort of needly, snide twat you want in grudge matches, and he was a decent defender with it.

Sky now trying to pass him off as some sort of footballing intelligentsia is embarrassing and so reductive to their already pretty insipid coverage. Surprised he doesn’t have constant whiplash the amount of times he changes position on topics depending on the club involved, and he can be incredibly deflective and one-eyed when it suits.

The faux-banter with Carragher is woeful too. How Carragher is even in TV after gobbing out his car at some fans is another mystery altogether. Ex-players shouldn’t automatically be front of the queue for punditry roles.

Great goal from De Bruyne but Chelsea looked like they were playing for the draw all game long.  Not really seen Ziyech play much but is that what he's usually like? Looks pretty poor to be fair and not up with the speed of the league.

I have no idea why I thought this season could go down to the final day, wishful thinking I guess. City's pressing has been unbelievable. McManaman was yelling that Chelsea took a free kick on the half way line and just passed it back to the keeper. Those two moments on the break really mattered. 

There's just a settled consistency of quality, they've always been a machine pre Pep but not the wobbly defence anymore or the desperation at finding a goal late on. When do they ever look desperate? They just continue doing what they always do and as it works most of the time they have confidence in it. There's no plan b, the play is varied enough as it is, every player who picks up the ball is skillful enough to carry it, De Bruyne, Dias, Cancelo cross often enough from deep, they still do that slip in behind wide move.

And still don't have a recognised striker, which is for when things aren't working they need it, not when they are. Foden went on a run and blindly rolled the ball across the box but no one was there. It doesn't even matter, they didn't need to win the game. 

People can say Guardiola can't have success without money and talent, but he's one of the best at winning leagues there has been. 

What a farce the Spurs v Woolwich game is called off, it’s not Covid related and the PL have even said so - if they are unable to put out a team due to injuries and discipline then as per the rules they automatically lose the game.

Glad I didn’t take my ticket as was meant to be moving house but that’s likely cost fans hundreds, I hope it’s challenged and Arsenal get the same treatment Spurs did in the Eurovision cup.