Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

For those who discovered When Saturday Comes magazine thanks to their wallchart, the new issue is about to be out and contains the magazine, a Euro 2020 review and the season preview.

On 29/07/2021 at 14:03, GamesGamesGames said:

Making a late run to be Everton's most-objectionable 31 year-old.

Yes, that is what I typed in the post you quoted!

7 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Interesting article about a libel trial brought by Roman Abramovich against a book that claimed he was ordered to buy Chelsea by Putin.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/russian-billionaires-vs-british-writer-court-battle-begins-over-putin-book-2021-07-27/

A few books have floated that idea, with evidence enough for it to likely be true.

I'd agree that the underlying assumption - that Putin is ultimately a gangster who has stripped Russia of hundreds of billions through his friends - is true.  However, proving it would be a whole other matter.

I think Villa will hold out for more. Grealish still has four years left on his contract, he seems relatively happy and the club don’t want to sell.  It’s a ‘make us an offer we can’t refuse’ scenario.  

That said, I think he’ll go.  Man City tend to get what they want.  

He'll go, sadly, it's just a matter of how much for. I'd hope we hold out for more than £100m.

The thing that'll really annoy me about this, is the second he goes he'll suddenly be lauded as a better player, because of the colour of rag he pulls on at a weekend, and he'll suddenly be an England starter, despite him playing at the same standard he was before.

And the fact he's going to a PR machine for an oil regime.

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

I think Villa will hold out for more. Grealish still has four years left on his contract, he seems relatively happy and the club don’t want to sell.  It’s a ‘make us an offer we can’t refuse’ scenario.  

That said, I think he’ll go.  Man City tend to get what they want.  

You're ok until he makes a social media post saying something about Villa being his club.

On 29/07/2021 at 10:42, Dudley said:

Fabian Delph makes a spirited attempt to regain the crown of "Worst 31 year old Everton player".

image.thumb.png.e55d0b4f94b12f4d94276ccde4db3527.png

Someone better get onto all the other diseases that wreck and kill the body that we use drugs to combat. Fucking tit.

12 hours ago, Plissken said:

I'd agree that the underlying assumption - that Putin is ultimately a gangster who has stripped Russia of hundreds of billions through his friends - is true.  However, proving it would be a whole other matter.

If you're interested in this, I'd recommend Putin's People. Proving it isn't the hard part; it's the holding him to any account.

Villa's summer activity has obviously been the precursor to the Grealish move. Offering him a new deal is damage limitation too, prove to the fans they really want to keep him but he'll express a desire to leave so they'll "reluctantly" let him go.

Fair play though, they've made what appear to be some very good signings.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Villa's summer activity has obviously been the precursor to the Grealish move. Offering him a new deal is damage limitation too, prove to the fans they really want to keep him but he'll express a desire to leave so they'll "reluctantly" let him go.

Fair play though, they've made what appear to be some very good signings.

There's been some argument that the activity has been about trying to keep Grealish - show ambition etc. Which would tie in to the earlier comments that new arrivals were being told Grealish wouldn't leave.

I'm not sure I believe that but we'll see I guess. The players we've been linked to are players we'd probably want even if Grealish stayed - Bailey and Buendia are upgrades on el Ghazi and Trezeguet, and might allow Grealish to go to the central position he wants to (or give him more freedom to take up that position with everyone floating).

But I dunno. I expect Grealish to leave. My hope is, if he does go, it's for more than £100m. And then that he flops.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

But I dunno. I expect Grealish to leave. My hope is, if he does go, it's for more than £100m. And then that he flops.

Why do you want him to flop?  

IMO he's only worth £100m because Villa don't have to sell and he isnt going to kick up a fuss.  Anymore would be crazy business by Man City.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Why do you want him to flop?  

IMO he's only worth £100m because Villa don't have to sell and he isnt going to kick up a fuss.  Anymore would be crazy business by Man City.

I'm a Villa fan. Once he leaves he's just another player, and I don't want any player not playing for Aston Villa to be successful.

As for the price... He's an exceptionally good player. People don't accept that he is because he plays for an unfashionable side who they don't watch and hasn't scored tons of goals, but his ability is absurd. He creates obscene numbers of chances (in a weaker side), his ability on the ball is genuinely world class, he's skillful and tricky, he has good vision. He's worth the price tag, and more, genuinely. He's more than just a foul buying machine.

When he goes suddenly he'll be watched by more people, 'cos he pays for Citeh, and suddenly he'll be a generational talent who is one of the world's best. But the reality is, he's playing at that level now. But he does it for Aston Villa, who finished 11th in the league, who nobody cares about. He's the most talented player I've seen play for Villa, and it's more special that he's also a local boy and fan who came through the academy.

Besides that, he's a growing brand in his own right. I genuinely expect him to be marketed as the Citeh Beckham going forwards.

But once he goes, he's nothing. And I'll be hopeful he fails, like any player at any other club.

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm a Villa fan. Once he leaves he's just another player, and I don't want any player not playing for Aston Villa to be successful.

That's very sad.

I don’t think Mings did anything wrong in either of his games but England were clearly a better team when Maguire was playing.  Mings will know he’s in the England squad for the foreseeable and I’d expect him to be on the plane to Qatar unless there is injury or dramatic loss of form.