Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

On 29/07/2021 at 10:42, Dudley said:

Fabian Delph makes a spirited attempt to regain the crown of "Worst 31 year old Everton player".

image.thumb.png.e55d0b4f94b12f4d94276ccde4db3527.png

Must be as thick as fuck then, and forgot about all the vaccinations he's already taken since birth.  Dickhead.

18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Doesn't seem a thing Kane would do but who knows. 

It's a bit of a dick move and never sits well when players do it. 

I wonder how much Kane is regretting signing that contract extension. It’s never easy to leave Spurs if Levy wants to keep you.

1 hour ago, SaintAnselm said:

Good old Sky stirring up shit, Kane isn’t due in training until tomorrow.

He's not due for training but should've been at the training ground for covid testing, so Sky aren't stirring anything up. 

It’s hard to see how this will work out positively for Kane. His fee and annual ankle problems would put most clubs off him. If City get Grealish, then his chances of a move there become more remote. Even if City do pursue it, it would probably have to be a fee plus players, rather than the outright £100m+ that Levy would want.  He’s stuck at a club that have illusions of being a heavyweight yet have an inability to win trophies. I’d like to see Nuno do well there though.

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

If City get Grealish, then his chances of a move there become more remote. Even if City do pursue it, it would probably have to be a fee plus players, rather than the outright £100m+ that Levy would want.

Haven't City made around 100m this summer already just by selling academy players? Don't think they are going to have any issue breaking the English transfer record twice this summer.

plus FFP is sort of suspended at the moment, City have fended off UEFA and are doing the same to the PL investigations around money. 

they'll spend £250m on Kane & Grealish and some mystery middle eastern company will become the official underpant partner of the club for £100m sponsorship a year nicely filling in what is needed to balance the accounts when amortisation of fees and wages is looked at. 

there's never been a better time to do a loadsamoney and wave your wad round with euro football finances stretched so thinly. 

3 hours ago, Stopharage said:

It’s hard to see how this will work out positively for Kane. His fee and annual ankle problems would put most clubs off him. If City get Grealish, then his chances of a move there become more remote. Even if City do pursue it, it would probably have to be a fee plus players, rather than the outright £100m+ that Levy would want.  He’s stuck at a club that have illusions of being a heavyweight yet have an inability to win trophies. I’d like to see Nuno do well there though.

These ankle problems are ludicrously overstated - since his Spurs breakthrough he has never played less than 30 games a season and more often nearer 50 (not including England games). He's also won 3 golden boots. He's easily worth over £100m. His main issue at spurs hasn't been getting injured - it's being rushed back from injury. 

Edited by Stoppy2000

Just catching up with the transfers for Leeds. Not surprise to see Alioski go. He was too inconsistent for the EPL, but I am surprised to see him go to Saudi Arabia. He started every round of an EPL season and was good enough to stay in Europe.

Anyway, some good purchases to shore up the spot he left. Got a good feeling about this season.

VAR guidance being amended next season to not see another record number of pens given and toenails given as offside - sounds subjective and I expect early in the season it to cause more whining as people still holler about stonewallers and the ever popular 'but there was contact'

I like the consultation with clubs leading to them saying that they only want to see 'proper fouls' given - there are such double standards with players, management and fans about what this means in practice.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/02/var-set-to-end-premier-league-players-buying-a-penalty-next-season

58 minutes ago, Gotters said:

VAR guidance being amended next season to not see another record number of pens given and toenails given as offside - sounds subjective and I expect early in the season it to cause more whining as people still holler about stonewallers and the ever popular 'but there was contact'

I like the consultation with clubs leading to them saying that they only want to see 'proper fouls' given - there are such double standards with players, management and fans about what this means in practice.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/02/var-set-to-end-premier-league-players-buying-a-penalty-next-season

Re: Penalties. They could solve the majority of problems at a stroke by awarding penalties for fouls when the attacker has stayed on their feet and tried to play on. Until that starts happening, they're up against it.

The VAR amendments are utterly pointless.

I've felt for a while the game needs a wider reclassification of what fouls actually are, and the bar for pens should be far higher.

All over the pitch the game is now broken up by teams winning uncontroversial (because of where they are given) free kicks that let them regain their shape, reset, have a breather and it was so refreshing at the Euro's to see refs waving play on when the CM special of slowing down anywhere in the middle third facing your own goal and collapsing in a heap at the first sign of a touch from an opponent.

I'd also like to see defenders not automatically given FKs whilst shielding a near stationary ball.

I'm not after the old days of Maradona needing cortisone to play as he'd been scythed down thru the ankles so many times but the balance has gone too far the other way at present and its used tactically far too much to break up play if on the defensive or start a fresh attack. 

better article, some of what Riley is saying sounds good .......

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4444546/premier-league-var-revamp-to-cut-soft-penaltiessave-20-offside-goals

"The principles we established are: the referee should look for contact and establish clear contact, then ask if that contact has a consequence, and then has the player used that contact to try and win a foul or win a penalty," Riley added. "It's not sufficient to say 'yes there's contact.'

6 minutes ago, Gotters said:

better article, some of what Riley is saying sounds good .......

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4444546/premier-league-var-revamp-to-cut-soft-penaltiessave-20-offside-goals

"The principles we established are: the referee should look for contact and establish clear contact, then ask if that contact has a consequence, and then has the player used that contact to try and win a foul or win a penalty," Riley added. "It's not sufficient to say 'yes there's contact.'

Think we might need to flog Vardy now.

I've got no empathy for Kane whatsoever.

He signed a contract extension for a larger wage and now wants to leave. The only thing stopping him leaving is his greed in signing the extension. Spurs have every right to stand their ground.

I think Kane's agent is his brother which isn't always a great idea when dealing with the likes of Levy - no way Raiola or that ilk would sign such a long contract with no buy out clause - he was sold a dream with Poch & the new stadium at the time but even so 6y was a long deal and his wages were 'only' doubled to £200k a week.

Longer term though Levy becomes counter productive to the club as of course nobody wants a pushover but nobody will trust a word he says after Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker and now Kane all calming he's gone back on his word to them. 

It's just dumb. He runs that contract down and he can be one of the best paid players in the world at a club of his choice, with Spurs one of the options. 

I guess the reason more players don't run their contracts down is a few years' security against them getting a career-ending injury (or colossal loss of form) but surely those are rare enough for elite players to take the risk.

I think it's not necessarily dumb but small minded and not well advised. If you've come from a normal working class background and are offered that much money you need the smart negotiator and lawyer to take a step back from it all and be your buffer, not your brother going 'fucking ell Arry they've gone to £200k and Dan says don't worry about a move in the future he'll do right by you'

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I think it's not necessarily dumb but small minded and not well advised. If you've come from a normal working class background and are offered that much money you need the smart negotiator and lawyer to take a step back from it all and be your buffer, not your brother going 'fucking ell Arry they've gone to £200k and Dan says don't worry about a move in the future he'll do right by you'

True, it's easy to forget the human element with £60m involved. 

I think everyone agrees Kane was stupid to sign a 6 year contract taking him into his 30s but like with the 'gentlemens agreement' we don't know the details. Did he have the option to sign a shorter contract? If he did why wouldn't he do that after years of Spurs not funding Pochettino and the likehood he is sacked or leaves? And it's not like he could have chose not to sign a new contract, allowing it to run out. Maybe he really just did it for the increased wage and was naive/optimistic.

I don't know why fans expect players to have 'loyalty' to clubs when it's not reciprocated, there are numerous examples of legends at clubs who get basically kicked out of the door when their time is up, the worst probably being Casillas after 725 games over 25 years there was no farewell, he just sat alone in a press conference crying. Or legends who want to be involved in the club after but are quickly forgotten. There was one i think it was Everton where he said he was completely baffled by how they treated him after decades of service. Literally just; there's the door. Players who grow up seeing all the as-talented academy kids get let go or forgotten about remember this, it's ruthless throughout.

I doubt Harry Kane is sat there thinking; god what a beautiful relationship that has been allowed to grow between me and this special club Spurs, they from the very beginning showed absolute faith and trust in me that i could achieve the excellence they so desire. He's thinking; god if there wasn't injuries and i didn't get that lucky run of games with some flukey goals allowing me to play more i might have gone on loan again for the 5th time to a Championship club somewhere and who knows where i would have ended up. Also probably that Levy is a tightfisted weirdo whose mark on public life is almost entirely 'that guy who doesn't sell players who want to leave' and who looked up to Mourinho in that documentary like a dog looking up to its master, everyone fretting over the difference in millions even though Spurs' owner buys paintings for £26m and sells them for £90m and has an art collection worth £1 billion...just repeating that again.

People are saying 'er well it's entirely on Levy to decide what they think Kane is worth and if that is £200m then Kane can't complain' as though £200m is an entirely reasonable figure for a 28 year old that'd make him a more expensive signing than the at the time £198m 25 year old Neymar or £163m 19 year old Mbappe, both whose talents and potential far exceeds Kane's even if their numbers don't. Even £150m during a pandemic puts Kane as third most expensive ever, 3 times more than City's previous record signing and even offloading 1-2 players it's a lot. I don't know what's true, but if City are ready to pay £100m for Grealish, a midfielder they don't remotely need, and not a smilar amount or slightly more for Kane given they're low on strikers then that doesn't make much sense to me.

I think £150m would be pretty ridiculous for Kane, £90m-£120m more reasonable.

Also plenty of Spurs fans on the guardian saying 'it's not true Kane hasn't had the chance to win trophies' then a list of finals where he's never really turned up, though mostly always never fully fit. No one disagrees Kane hasn't had opportunities but i think it's more likely he would have stayed if Spurs had actually invested in the squad and they kept hold of Pochettino. Even just if Pochettino was still there he might still believe each season they give it another go. I think that's as much loyalty as you should expect, after a season of giving Mourinho a chance.

Levy is in an impossible position as if he sells he'll need to buy big and the last thing he wants to do is instantly shuffle all that money out of the club. Either on a similar quality striker of which there's like three and none of which would even contemplate joining Spurs, or spread it around the squad on a lot of tosh like when they got the Bale money. And you'll be trying to do that on deadline day most likely. For Kane it's basically now or never too. Next year Mbappe and Haaland are on the move for far less money and he'll be left on the shelf. Basically I think it's in both of their interests to get the move done now but I can't see it getting over the line.