IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

5 minutes ago, kensei said:

Talent wrecked by injuries is a good question.

Michael Bridges would be my pick for that one. Knocked in 26 Premier League goals in 1999/2000, team was being strengthened and he was entering his peak years. Injured, never the same player again.

Having him up front with Viduka and Kewell would have been something and would probably have saved us a fortune on the likes of Robbie Keane and Robbie Fowler.

Owen Hargreaves’s count?

59 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Dunno “wastes” suggest they threw it away by being idiotic. Also they were all very successful on their day but pure talent is only one facet of being a top player. 

Im assuming the biggest wastes of talents ever are players we’ve never seen as they never even made it to the top. Cole and Sturridge were both at top premier league clubs for years but suffered from injuries. Seems a bit harsh to say they wasted anything.

Yeah your right, waste is a bit harsh. Ballotelli deffo then. 

Ravel Morrison would stand out as being a waste of talent. Given he was so highly regarded yet not played even 150 games in 10 years, and at 28 is languishing in the Championship.

The players already mentioned at least enjoyed some success and played for sustained periods at the highest level, some with honours lists most players would be more than happy with.

2 hours ago, kensei said:

Talent wrecked by injuries is a good question.

Michael Bridges would be my pick for that one. Knocked in 26 Premier League goals in 1999/2000, team was being strengthened and he was entering his peak years. Injured, never the same player again.

Having him up front with Viduka and Kewell would have been something and would probably have saved us a fortune on the likes of Robbie Keane and Robbie Fowler.

Robbie Fowler was himself a victim of injuries. He raced to 100-odd goals before suffering a bad injury at just 22/23 which he never really recovered from. I still remember the incident, too - a jump with the Everton 'keeper and he just crumpled into a heap. That of course gave Michael Owen a platform to rise to prominence, but it effectively massively damaged Fowler's career because from that point on he struggled with injuries, lack of faith from managers and fitness. Oh what could've been.

Not really convinced by the argument that Sturridge hasn't wasted his talent. I never got the impression he was all that bothered really, apart from maybe one season at Liverpool, and I think multiple coaches have hinted along those lines. I remember Klopp clearly being exasperated with his attitude towards his (supposed) injuries, and possibly other things. Between all of that and multiple suspensions for betting, I think he's now played fewer than 20 games in the last 4 years. He's 32! The prime years of his career wasted on mostly not playing in the Turkish league for two years and various dubious betting practices.

I don't think that spending relatively few years at the top - but, again, more out of the team than in - constitutes fulfilling the potential he had. Maybe he has just been unlucky, but I'm not sure.

I'd call it lost rather than wasted potential. Matt Jansen was awesome when he broke through at Blackburn. English striker with incredible first touch and could finish with both feet. Early 20's was making England squads and rumours were Sir Alex was a huge fan and wanted to buy him. Then aged 24 he has a horrendous motorbike accident that almost kills him and puts him in a coma. Its amazing he even made it back to football but physically and mentally was never the same. After numerous failed comebacks at Blackburn he ended in non league teams the rest of his career. In another lifetime had he not had that accident he could have been a mega star.

13 minutes ago, Swallow said:

Massive content warnings for domestic and sexual assault for anyone who goes looking for the Greenwood stuff.

I haven't seen or heard it but from what you are saying I take it that it's every bit as bad as the brief descriptions? 

The first few comments on the audio she uploaded were enough to make me not listen to it, and the pictures were bad enough. As others have said, this is surely going to result in a lengthy prison sentence, regardless of his status.

6 minutes ago, bear said:

I haven't seen or heard it but from what you are saying I take it that it's every bit as bad as the brief descriptions? 

Yes.

Hopefully that poor girl gets the support she needs.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I'd call it lost rather than wasted potential. Matt Jansen was awesome when he broke through at Blackburn. English striker with incredible first touch and could finish with both feet. Early 20's was making England squads and rumours were Sir Alex was a huge fan and wanted to buy him. Then aged 24 he has a horrendous motorbike accident that almost kills him and puts him in a coma. Its amazing he even made it back to football but physically and mentally was never the same. After numerous failed comebacks at Blackburn he ended in non league teams the rest of his career. In another lifetime had he not had that accident he could have been a mega star.

He was an excellent player.

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

How can prison not be expected? His United career is over, surely? The audio is damning. 

Yeah, if he ever steps foot on that pitch again, after that... the world is fucked. 

Maybe some desperate team at a lower level will take a punt on him after he serves the prison sentence he would appear to be due, or perhaps he'll find something in a country where domestic abuse is still de riguer, but yes, I doubt we'll be seeing him on a PL pitch again.

4 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. If there’s one thing the public are willing to turn a blind eye to it’s domestic abuse. The ‘makes you wonder what she said to him’ patter will start in earnest tomorrow.

We've never seen/heard anything this disturbing before though, have we? The audio is unmistakable. And the world is changing. If this was words in a newspaper 20 years ago I think it'd be a lot different.

46 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

Yeah, if he ever steps foot on that pitch again, after that... the world is fucked. 

Unfortunately we’ve seen that this rarely happens. Some League 1 outfit with zero morals will take him on in a year or two as always.

12 minutes ago, Timmo said:

We've never seen/heard anything this disturbing before though, have we? The audio is unmistakable. And the world is changing. If this was words in a newspaper 20 years ago I think it'd be a lot different.

Oh I agree, I just don’t think his downfall will be as straightforward as we’d all hope. There’s enough people invested in him for it to be made murky and complicated. She’ll be dragged through the mud in the process. Happens every single time.

That Sheffield United player a few years ago who was involved in gang raping that young girl?  Depressingly too many clubs were willing to give him a contract, I think there was quite a split opinion on here at the time as to whether he should have lost his career after her served his time. 

Adam Johnson (another for the wasted potential chat) I’ve heard squat of since he did his time, I’m sure he must be quietly getting on with it at a lower league club somewhere.