IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Just from the snippets the BBC has posted it seems he has some interesting things to say so I will try to watch it when I can.

Not sure I would agree with him being the best player in the world when he was 18 though. 

He could have been. As good as he was I don't think he reached the potential he had for various reasons. England seemed to take him for granted a bit.

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

He could have been. As good as he was I don't think he reached the potential he had for various reasons. England seemed to take him for granted a bit.

Yeah, I agree with that - he was definitely on course to be something really, really special, but clearly a lot of stuff both on and off the field played their part. I just don't think he was quite in that upper echelon at 18 - nobody would seriously say he was better than Messi (as the obvious) back then with a straight face, for example - well, other than him :D

14 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Really? I saw about half a dozen times just in the game last night where players step in front of the keeper as he's trying to distribute the ball. That happens in every single game and I don't really see how it's that different. Is it because the player took a theatrical tumble under a tiny bit of contact? Why aren't we booking every player who stands over a free kick until he's told to go away? It's because we expect officials to exercise some restraint. 

If we can look at that passage of play and think 'yep, that's the best way the referee can handle that' then I'm never going to agree. There's always some chore on Twitter with an I think you'll find take on every daft thing that happens, which is why this thread of full of people arguing over whether Salah's latest dive was fair or not like that's actually interesting. This minutiae bores the life out of me and I'm annoyed I've spent so much time thinking about it. 

What has standing in front of the keeper or a free-kick got to do with anything? He raises his arms, it doesn't matter if the fall is theatrical or not, he was an idiot and that's a booking all day long.

I do think the barge for the second yellow is more about rather cynically breaking-up the attack than it being a bad foul, so that's not a surprising yellow either. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Not sure I would agree with him being the best player in the world when he was 18 though. 

A few professional footballers would disagree. I don't know how old you are but Rooney was like Gazza when he first started. Just a force. Unplayable and unique. A raw talent. 

My favourite Rooney related fact. Rooney played in the FA Youth Cup final against Villa when he was just starting to come through at Everton. He was outshone on the day by Stefan Moore in the Villa side, whose career went nowhere and ended up doing the rounds of Midlands teams in non-league football and driving a taxi. They basically had totally reversed career trajectories, one hitting the heights of the game and the other playing at super low level while having another job entirely. I don't think anyone that watched the Youth Cup final would have bet on that.

Stefan's brother Luke was widely held to be the more talented of the Moores, and he had a stuttering career that never matched his ability either, bouncing around the Baggies and Swansea's bench and bowing out with a poor time in the MLS.

Aye, Villa won that youth cup final and didn't win it again until last season.   There was a weird logic going round at the time that Stefan Moore must be better at football than Wayne Rooney because Villa beat Everton that day.  I never really understood why people felt that beyond tribalism, Rooney was an absolute force of nature as a teenager.  I think he's up there with OG Ronaldo as the best teenage footballer I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

A few professional footballers would disagree. I don't know how old you are but Rooney was like Gazza when he first started. Just a force. Unplayable and unique. A raw talent. 

I'm old enough to remember him coming through, yeah, and he was a fabulous talent. I'd say a little bit more battering ram back then - he definitely made full use of his physical traits - but obviously he had skill and guile too. 

I mean, I would agree he was the best teenager in the world back then (and best England player by a mile), but better than Zidane or Ronaldinho? I suppose Zidane was in his twilight years, but Ronaldinho was very much in his pomp. All very different players so of course hard to judge. 🤷‍♂️

A lot of unrealised talent. He seemed to lose his unpredictability and explosive energy very quickly. Whether that was trained out of him or he lacked the discipline to keep it up. Always felt he couldn’t handle the spotlight.  One tournament goal at International level is an abysmal record even more shocking considering his talent and expectations. 

15 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

A lot of unrealised talent. He seemed to lose his unpredictability and explosive energy very quickly. Whether that was trained out of him or he lacked the discipline to keep it up. Always felt he couldn’t handle the spotlight.  One tournament goal at International level is an abysmal record even more shocking considering his talent and expectations. 

England and Man United's top scorer. 

He played almost 600 games.

He was also injured at almost every tournament. Watch his Amazon documentary and then tell me he's disappointing. It's amazing what he achieved in a long career. 

He's a top ten player. Easily.

Pele, Maradonna, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Rooney.

44 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

He was also injured at every tournament. Watch his Amazon docu. Then tell me he's disappointing. 

Pele, Maradonna, Messi, Rinaldo Ronaldo, Rooney

Maybe Hoddle, Waddle, Del Piero. Maybe. Yari Litmanenn. Maybe Ibra. Zidane. Henry. 

He's fucking good. Rooney was awesome.

Disagree, he was never in that league. Those players did it consistently at an insane level. Rooney was never performing at the level of Ronaldo, Ibra, Henry etc, he’d have a purple patches but never consistently over seasons and tournaments. He was also pretty much finished at the top level by his late 20s. 

I’ll watch the docu but I’d imagine a Rooney documentary would be framed in a certain way.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Disagree, he was never in that league. Those players did it consistently at an insane level. Rooney was never performing at the level of Ronaldo, Ibra, Henry etc, he’d have a purple patches but never consistently over seasons and tournaments. He was also pretty much finished at the top level by his late 20s. 

I’ll watch the docu but I’d imagine a Rooney documentary would be framed in a certain way.

Disagree all you like. He played 20 years. He was a part of the most successful Man Utd team. 

7 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Really? I saw about half a dozen times just in the game last night where players step in front of the keeper as he's trying to distribute the ball. That happens in every single game and I don't really see how it's that different. Is it because the player took a theatrical tumble under a tiny bit of contact? Why aren't we booking every player who stands over a free kick until he's told to go away? It's because we expect officials to exercise some restraint. 

If we can look at that passage of play and think 'yep, that's the best way the referee can handle that' then I'm never going to agree. There's always some chore on Twitter with an I think you'll find take on every daft thing that happens, which is why this thread of full of people arguing over whether Salah's latest dive was fair or not like that's actually interesting. This minutiae bores the life out of me and I'm annoyed I've spent so much time thinking about it. 

If you pushed a keeper over as he tried to distribute the ball you would probably get a yellow card.

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

He was also injured at every tournament. Watch his Amazon docu. Then tell me he's disappointing. 

Pele, Maradonna, Messi, Rinaldo Ronaldo, Rooney

Maybe Hoddle, Waddle, Del Piero. Maybe. Yari Litmanenn. Maybe Ibra. Zidane. Henry. 

He's fucking good. Rooney was awesome.

Rooney in the top 10 players ever? Not heard that one before. Really? Googling, there was a top 100 poll the Independant did in 2019 of the best players of the 21st century. Rooney was 29 in that. So he's below Raul, Neuer, Maldini, Alves, but three of those are regarded as the best ever in their position.

I never realised he had a drinking problem, there were no rumours about that, it was always just that he smoked and generally wasn't bothered about fitness.

10 hours ago, dizogg said:

If you pushed a keeper over as he tried to distribute the ball you would probably get a yellow card.

The closer analogy would be if you pushed a keeper as he was taking a goal kick, the first Gabi foul the ball wasn't in play, and it also caused a foul throw and as a.) it was a foul throw and b.) the ball wasn't in play. You can't play advantage...

18 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Really? I saw about half a dozen times just in the game last night where players step in front of the keeper as he's trying to distribute the ball. That happens in every single game and I don't really see how it's that different.

He didn't "step in front", he pushed the Wolves player's left arm as he was taking it.  Not even remotely the same.

49 minutes ago, glb said:

Thowmp! Thunck! Thump!

I'm surprised Chris Waddle v West Germany in the semi-finals of Italia 90 wasn't in there.  Although it did say "satisfying woodwork thwacks".  Maybe satisfying for Germans.