Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Pretty good chance it’ll be another all-English final; at least getting there will be a hell of a lot easier for supporters if it is.

Stunning that UEFA has taken affirmative action to be honest.

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

:lol: 

It's a fun thought but it's not true, as I think ESPN have realised. 

Due to the structure of dropping teams out of one competition into the lower ones throughout qualifying, teams like Zalgiris (lost in qualifying to, funnily enough, Bodo/Glimt) and Lincoln Red Imps and Alashkert (knocked out in the Conference League group stage) went through all three before Celtic did. 

34 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Due to the structure of dropping teams out of one competition into the lower ones throughout qualifying, teams like Zalgiris (lost in qualifying to, funnily enough, Bodo/Glimt) and Lincoln Red Imps and Alashkert (knocked out in the Conference League group stage) went through all three before Celtic did. 

Is it true Celtic were the first team to be knocked out by the Countdown Conundrum. 

11 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

holy shit these Barcelona goals

De Jong's is one of the most exquisite strikes I think I've ever seen. 

Iago Aspas probably saw that corner for the first goal and thought it was pretty good delivery.

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Just to be a disgusting, smelly, rotten pedant, also not true because Celtic were never actually in the Champions League, because they failed in the qualifying rounds.

Technically, means the honour of being the first to exit all three in the same season is very much there for the taking. Spurs or Arsenal, it’s over to you.

Do have a fondness for quirky ones that stats bods like Duncan Alexander peddle, such as 1.9% of all the Premier League goals Norwich have ever conceded have been scored by Luis Suarez, or 0.5% of League Cup games ever played in its 60 year history have featured James Milner.

Equally as pointless but can at least raise an eyebrow.

I remember seeing one that was so many players born on a Wednesday have scored a premier league goal for Sheffield Wednesday on a Wednesday, I can’t remember how many it was but Chris Waddle was one of them

54 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I'm off to the championship thread 😫

You could look at the run of games and think we're really unlikely to get anything out of that run of games. But the manner of the beatings were taking is draining all confidence from the team. I can't see what breaks it unless we get Phillips and Bamford back.

Think we are indeed heading to the Championship thread.

I think Leeds will be okay, even if it is because the current bottom 3 are so bad, rather than them playing themselves to safety. Burnley might get a little run going, which is probably the main threat, but Watford and Norwich are just awful and doomed. 

Brentford Leeds on the last day of the season is shaping up to be a relegation play-off on current form.

Norwich and Watford look doomed, so one from Burnley, Geordie Arabia, Everton, Leeds and Brentford could make for a lively last day all round at the foot of the table.

Philips March maybe, Bamford god knows. All this "other teams look doomed". We look doomed. The hidings are a risk of how we play but chain them together and we're in real trouble. But the damage was done with Newcastle and Everton. 

Rumours Bielsa is going to be fired. I think that's mad short termism. If we can't survive relegation and maybe yo yoing for a bit, we've learned nothing and deserve everything we get.

3 minutes ago, glb said:

Brentford Leeds on the last day of the season is shaping up to be a relegation play-off on current form.

Norwich and Watford look doomed, so one from Burnley, Geordie Arabia, Everton, Leeds and Brentford could make for a lively last day all round at the foot of the table.

Burnley vs Newcastle on the last day, too.

I think Everton have enough talent to stay clear despite having Lampard in charge.  With Trippier fracturing his foot, Newcastle have lost the player who was papering over the cracks a bit.  (I think Newcastle will either go down or finish 14th, Eddie Howe has no middle ground.)  I'd rather it be three from six rather than it looked like three from four a couple of weeks ago.

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

I expect FIFA to award Russia a 3-0 win because Infantino.

Sweden have also refused to face them, should they both reach the playoff final.

If UEFA/FIFA do the right thing and eject Russia from the tournament, their options are probably:

• A bye for Poland, who face Russia in the semi
  • A bye for Sweden, the remaining seeded team in the section
  • Slovakia taking Russia's place as the third place team in Russia's qualifying group
  • Hungary taking Russia's place as the highest Nations League group winner that didn't qualify

At this late stage, who knows?

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I think Everton have enough talent to stay clear despite having Lampard in charge.  With Trippier fracturing his foot, Newcastle have lost the player who was papering over the cracks a bit.  (I think Newcastle will either go down or finish 14th, Eddie Howe has no middle ground.)  I'd rather it be three from six rather than it looked like three from four a couple of weeks ago.

I’d like to speak on behalf of the thread and hope Burnley sign-off the season with a handsome 5-0 win.

Everton are as bad as they’ve been in the top flight for decades. Worst away record in the division, and zero form. They have an okay squad but not one with much steel that you’d fancy to get through scrappy games when every point matters. I’m obviously slightly biased but also don’t think their support helps; they can make a fantastic din at Goodison when things are going well but are among the quickest to groan and moan when struggling.

Today is a bit of a free hit against Man City and can’t really be expected to get anything but will be interesting to see how they react if they do slip into the bottom three in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

I think it's three from Leeds, Brentford, Watford and Norwich. Newcastle have spent enough money and got form at the right time to get out. Our loss that kicked it all for them looks catastrophic in retrospect. Burnley have games in hand and this isn't their first rodeo. Everton also have games in hand and look like they've too much quality.

We're in absolute free fall as are Brentford and the other two never really climbed off bottom. We've a run of games where in theory we can pick up points but looking at how bad the defense is I am not sure we'll manage.