Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Yeah but Lukaku and Sancho...

Sancho has great potential and will probably justify his fee - and may be worth more in the future. Lukaku isn't as good as Kane. He's played over a hundred games more and they are not far off each other on career total goals. 

15 minutes ago, Plissken said:

He's won trophies, which Kane hasn't done.  He's also scored goals at lesser teams.

He's won two trophies. The Belgian league and Serie A. He's a great player I just don't think he's as good as Kane and the individual stats agree. 

55 minutes ago, Plissken said:

He's won trophies, which Kane hasn't done.  He's also scored goals at lesser teams.

Kane has scored all his goals at a lesser team.  :P

The reason Lukaku went for a fee well below what Kane will probably go for is that he was coming off a poor season for Man Utd, didn't want to be at the club, and more importantly, the club had effectively already replaced him by going in a different direction with his position, playing Martial up there to play a more technical, pace-based role.  Lukaku played most of his games in the second half of his last season at United on the right wing, bizarrely.

Talking of bizarre - Ings would have been better than Kane if he hadn't got injured?  Hahaha what?  Come on man, I know he played for Burnley and is therefore secretly some kind of genius player or something, but we've all seen him play.  He's a good player, but even at his best he doesn't touch an average day for Kane.  He has managed 20 goals in a season twice in his career.  Kane has done that every season he's played regularly, and more often than not broken 30.  Ings followed up his breakthrough season with Burnley by scoring 11 in all competitions.  This was pre-injury.  I think your affection for the guy is clouding your judgement of him as a player.  We've all got our blind spots.  For example I reckon Rashford is miles better than Mbappe.  He's better, of course, but probably not miles better.

Ings had done both knees prior to his breakthrough season and scored 11 goals in a team that went scoreless in seven consecutive games twice.  (Including a run of five in six).  And had to do it without his regular strike partner in Sam Vokes.  He then scored in two of his six appearances (including a Merseyside derby) for Liverpool before he did both knees again.  Finally he got a move to Southampton and has been scoring just under 1 in every two games.  Also had three England caps (his debut was as sub, replacing one H. Kane) and a goal.

Injury has robbed us of seeing what he really could do because he would have been the perfect player for Klopp in his first season.

Am I wrong to think that players sometimes sign long term contracts to ensure the club can negotiate a decent price for them? Is that not a tactic employed by some?

Sounds like Kane agreed the new deal you ensure Spurs could sell him for a decent figure if the gentleman's agreement is true. Considering a few players have said it now I'd be inclined to believe it.

Also, I read somewhere yesterday that Kane has been fined for his no show. Would be strange to fine a player who isn't due back yet.

56 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Am I wrong to think that players sometimes sign long term contracts to ensure the club can negotiate a decent price for them? Is that not a tactic employed by some?

Exactly what Spurs have done with Kane. Most famously what Rooney agreed to for the good of Everton.

The normally well connected Fabrizio Romano claiming Chelsea upped their bid for Lukaku to €120m with a long term €12m net per season contract for him, some increase over the £28m the got on selling him to Everton.

Not that it's harmed them that much in terms of winning things but has any team ever let such a set of talent as Salah, De Bruyne & Lukaku slip thru their fingers and leave like that. 

33 minutes ago, Gotters said:

The normally well connected Fabrizio Romano claiming Chelsea upped their bid for Lukaku to €120m with a long term €12m net per season contract for him, some increase over the £28m the got on selling him to Everton.

Not that it's harmed them that much in terms of winning things but has any team ever let such a set of talent as Salah, De Bruyne & Lukaku slip thru their fingers and leave like that. 

They all left during Mourinho’s second spell in charge didn’t they with Lukaku being hastily sold to Everton after missing a penalty in the European Super Cup final.

Mourinho always claims he's so good with young players too - surprising that.

Remember the scene in Die Hard when the crims can't get into the last lock of the vault and Gruber gives his speech along the lines of 'you asked for miracles, I give you the FBI'

Seems La Liga are having that moment with a 10% sale which I'm sure will end up unequally distributed based on some formula to give the big 3 most of the cash, handily getting them out of their current financial pit.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/spains-la-liga-agrees-sell-10-stake-cvc-nyt-2021-08-04/

I don't know about anyone else, but the build up to this season fells a little lacklustre so far. Finances are obviously a mess so no-one can move any players on and even simple deals seem to take weeks to stagger over the line. The effect of that is that when you look at everyone's starting line-ups coming up to the first weekend there's not been much major surgery done which is a bit of a drag. Coming off of what felt like a five year slog of continuous football it'd be nice to freshen it up a bit – I mean from an Arsenal perspective we've got a weaker team than we finished with and are really only scrambling for an emergency keeper loan signing before kick-off. Obviously quite a cosseted position to be in compared to the rest of the football league, but it's a bit boring innit.

It does feel like the season is starting up all too soon and it's hard to generate much enthusiasm for it at the moment. It'll be strange not having every game on TV now as well, though that will no doubt help with the overload fatigue. 

Looks like there is movement on Grealish to Manchester City.  I’m still surprised by the amount of Villa fans who are shocked and/or not prepared at this outcome.  If we get £100m for a guy from the youth team and reinvent it in the squad then there’s no reason why this side won’t get better.  We’ve not finished in the top half of the Premier League since 2010/11 so it’s not like there’s no room for improvement here. I’d be delighted if he stays but if he leaves I completely get it. 

No-one is buying anyone and here is me thinking that we couldn't drag the Premier League down to our level.

In all seriousness though, I could handle another couple of months without any football.  OK, month.

A summer international tournament that England went far in followed by the Olympics has helped fill that void where you are forced to watch golf or F1 in desperation and are delighted when Scottish football comes back a week or two early to just have something to put on the tv.

I always judge my desperation for the season to start on if I'm willing to endure 10m of a scottish game and so far not been tempted this month. 

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Sounds like Kane agreed the new deal you ensure Spurs could sell him for a decent figure if the gentleman's agreement is true.

Kane also signed the deal when Spurs had Pochetino in charge as well. Whilst the benefit of a longer deal is the added security of a bumper wage for a greater period there is the risk of managerial changes, players changes etc. that can weaken your team’s chances. If he goes, Spurs are in a great position to rinse City for every penny they can. 

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

A summer international tournament that England went far in followed by the Olympics has helped fill that void where you are forced to watch golf or F1 in desperation and are delighted when Scottish football comes back a week or two early to just have something to put on the tv.

I always judge my desperation for the season to start on if I'm willing to endure 10m of a scottish game and so far not been tempted this month. 

The Hundred has also been a welcome

addition as well, even though it’s not been as explosive as many had thought, in terms of high scores. Think that will come with time though and will help breach that post season football gap. 

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

No-one is buying anyone and here is me thinking that we couldn't drag the Premier League down to our level.

In all seriousness though, I could handle another couple of months without any football.  OK, month.

Yes, I could do without it too and I've got my first home game coming up a week on Saturday.  I'm just not in the mood at all.  It isn't the fact they're playing, I just don't think I want to go to a stadium and sit amongst other people en masse.  I've been pretty much a recluse (other than going to work or supermarkets) for well over a year.

I'm sure it'll change once I get used to it again but I'm usually really optimistic to get back to the routine of going to the football and right now, I'm not.

I watched every game last season via streaming services.  I think the EFL stopping that was a really stupid thing to do for the long term future of the EFL (particularly League 1 and 2). I'd rather have the option of not attending.  I have a season ticket so they've got my money already.  

My thoughts exactly.  Not keen on sitting in a full stadium right now.  The only reason I'm still going is because I usually combine my trips back to the homeland with seeing my parents and I haven't seen either of them for 18 months.

6 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Kane also signed the deal when Spurs had Pochetino in charge as well. Whilst the benefit of a longer deal is the added security of a bumper wage for a greater period there is the risk of managerial changes, players changes etc. that can weaken your team’s chances. If he goes, Spurs are in a great position to rinse City for every penny they can. 

If the rumours are correct Kane was influential getting Poch the sack, and he advised Levy to get Jose in.