Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, SaintAnselm said:

If the rumours are correct Kane was influential getting Poch the sack, and he advised Levy to get Jose in.

Rumours hey, basically bollocks made up by people who have an agenda.

Villa doing the opposite of spurs. We'll leave it til midnight on deadline day to sell Kane and then be linked with every striker in the world only to settle for getting Benteke in on a season loan. 

Be interesting to see how we line up this season. We rigidly play 1 up top with 2 wide forwards. Watkins is first name on the team sheet, Bailey is clearly a starter, as is Buendia, and obviously we'd be expecting Ings to play as well. Meanwhile we've got Traore, AEG, Wes, Davis, with Trezeguet coming back eventually and a number of youth players coming through in the attacking positions (Barry, JPB, Chukwuemka).

I expect Davis to go, Wes I anticipate being loaned to see if he can recover from being Mee'd with some games, and supposedly AEG has suitors abroad, but we'll still have a pretty potent attacking lineup...

Please look after Danny Ings, he is my favourite ex-Liverpool player that I'd have back in a heartbeat.

Also, City have no money, Pep was saying so in April*. So I do hope Villa aren't relying on that Grealish money! ;) 

*jokes, obviously he was bullshitting. 

I wish Liverpool would bring someone in this window. Whilst getting Konate early is good business and having Van Dijk and Gomez back, as well as contracts for Trent, Fabinho and Alisson. The lack of any concrete incomings further up the pitch is a worry. I hope we aren't gambling on Harvey Elliot doing something special. The Henderson situation isn't helping either. 

Jealous of Villa right now! :P 

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Be interesting to see how we line up this season. We rigidly play 1 up top with 2 wide forwards. Watkins is first name on the team sheet, Bailey is clearly a starter, as is Buendia, and obviously we'd be expecting Ings to play as well. Meanwhile we've got Traore, AEG, Wes, Davis, with Trezeguet coming back eventually and a number of youth players coming through in the attacking positions (Barry, JPB, Chukwuemka).

I expect Davis to go, Wes I anticipate being loaned to see if he can recover from being Mee'd with some games, and supposedly AEG has suitors abroad, but we'll still have a pretty potent attacking lineup...

They'll play Bailey at full-back won't they? I'd be surprised if they didn't - he played his best football there in Germany.

Edit: Apparently not, as he's been a full-bore winger for a while now. Good luck to him but he was unstoppable once he had a head of steam. Similar to Bale when he was a full-back. No idea if his game has developed enough to start further up the pitch.

18 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

They'll play Bailey at full-back won't they? I'd be surprised if they didn't - he played his best football there in Germany.

He's a winger.

7 minutes ago, layten said:

Looks like Villa fans desire for Grealish being an England starter will come to pass.

Reveal hidden contents

gXeBbz4.gif.9fad546623c925caa20454da05651ae2.gif

A damning indictment of the manager will be him suddenly being a starter when he's playing as well as he was at Villa Park.

Anywho he'll not be a Villa player going forwards so I don't give a fuck.

Fofana looks like he’s broken his leg after an awful tackle in a friendly. He was outstanding last season, horrible challenge which might have ended his season before it started.

Ings is a really odd signing. Villa have consistently brought in young players with the potential to improve - Ings doesn’t fit that at all.  

It must mean that Wesley isn’t seen as coming back in any sort of form, a shame as I thought he’d turn into a decent player.

8 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Fofana looks like he’s broken his leg after an awful tackle in a friendly. He was outstanding last season, horrible challenge which might have ended his season before it started.

FFS. Appalling tackle, in a friendly as well. Every season we seem to start off with at least 2 of our back 4 seriously injured. Poor Little Wes; hope he has a speedy recovery. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Be interesting to see how we line up this season.

Clearly there's going to be rotation, both week to week and probably within the games too. 

If the 4-2-3-1 still makes the most sense then I can see Watkins playing wide again.  He's spent most of his career out there and even as a centre forward for us he ran the channels a lot.   Buendia started on the right a lot for Norwich but always drifted inside, Bailey can play across the middle but as far as I can tell it's like 60-20-20 in favour of the right hand side.   I think El Ghazi will continue to be a squad player. Davies will go,  I'm sure the club would want Wesley to at least get a loan deal sorted out too.  How much that injury has taken out of him is something we will probably never know, but he's still not managed 90 minutes since, even in pre season has he?   

Talk of Tuanzebe coming in on loan for a third stint.   I'd love to see him back, I can't see him getting regular minutes here and he seems a bit too injury prone for Man Utd but as a replacement for Bjorn Engels it makes a lot of sense.    If we are still looking at buying someone for the first XI (though I think we can keep our powder dry for now) then I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade on McGinn.  He can give you those 10/10 games, but there are too many 6/10 performances which come with it.  

lineup.png

13 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Ings is a really odd signing. Villa have consistently brought in young players with the potential to improve - Ings doesn’t fit that at all.  

It must mean that Wesley isn’t seen as coming back in any sort of form, a shame as I thought he’d turn into a decent player.

I think he's a great signing.  You need youth and experience in the squad and we've got youth in droves.  I get the business model of buying players who will improve in year 2 and 3 of their contract and still only be 25/26 when it comes to renewal but we found out a couple of times in the past (the relegation season and 2019/20) that you do need to have players who are good today in the side.   Ings will give 15+ goals.  If Watkins gets double figures and the lads behind him all chip in with respectable amounts then we should be able to improve on 55 goals scored last season.  

2 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Clearly there's going to be rotation, both week to week and probably within the games too. 

If the 4-2-3-1 still makes the most sense then I can see Watkins playing wide again.  He's spent most of his career out there and even as a centre forward for us he ran the channels a lot.   Buendia started on the right a lot for Norwich but always drifted inside, Bailey can play across the middle but as far as I can tell it's like 60-20-20 in favour of the right hand side.   I think El Ghazi will continue to be a squad player. Davies will go,  I'm sure the club would want Wesley to at least get a loan deal sorted out too.  How much that injury has taken out of him is something we will probably never know, but he's still not managed 90 minutes since, even in pre season has he?   

Talk of Tuanzebe coming in on loan for a third stint.   I'd love to see him back, I can't see him getting regular minutes here and he seems a bit too injury prone for Man Utd but as a replacement for Bjorn Engels it makes a lot of sense.    If we are still looking at buying someone for the first XI (though I think we can keep our powder dry for now) then I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade on McGinn.  He can give you those 10/10 games, but there are too many 6/10 performances which come with it.  

lineup.png

Cover at left back seems the most urgent need. I rate McGinn, I think he had a poorish season as he was played too deep. He’s more productive further up the pitch. A really good DM would free him up. Luis is a DM for a better team than us, a team who have more possession and need the DM to act as a springboard for attacks. We need a filthy clogger who likes kicking people.

6 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Cover at left back seems the most urgent need. I rate McGinn, I think he had a poorish season as he was played too deep. He’s more productive further up the pitch. A really good DM would free him up. Luis is a DM for a better team than us, a team who have more possession and need the DM to act as a springboard for attacks. We need a filthy clogger who likes kicking people.

Young is a left back these days, so that's that cover sorted.

Ings is a brilliant signing, with the squad Villa have they'll be able to use him as required and not too much. It means Watkins won't be run into the ground as well.

Villa have made some excellent signings this window and I expect them to cement their position in the league and compete for European places too.

It's not about playing every single signing at the same time. The squad is important if a club is looking to compete at the high end.

Southampton need to unearth a seriously good striker to replace Ings, they must have been planning for this eventuality because it was pretty obvious early last season.