IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Staines Town Crikey

https://web.archive.org/web/20220329130137/https://stainestownfootballclub.co.uk/urgent-club-statement/

Staines Town Football Club (STFC) regrets to announce that pursuant to third party breaches of Section 54 of The Modern Slavery Act 2015 and other information that has come to light, we are forced to temporarily suspend all primary operations including but not limited to competitive fixtures, until a thorough investigation into the practices of Downing LLP has been concluded by the relevant authorities.

and plenty more.

55 minutes ago, milko said:

So it isn't the club or even the owners, but the investment firm that owns their landlords who have also been fucking them around the club since 2018 (they want the land). Looks like trying to drive a football club out of existence is extremely low down on their list of crimes, though! :s

Oh god I've just realised they're the baddies from an 80s sports movie. 

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Friendly, yeah?

That's taking the definition a bit far though. 

Now Aurier has been sent off, but it's a bit of a mystery what he got sent off for.  This is a very weird match so far.

21 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Senegal have beaten Egypt on penalties for the second time in as many months, this time to head off to the World Cup.

its a bit dodgy innit

Two for Ogbene, one each for Hourihane and Hogan, and all of them entirely correctly ruled out for offside. Ireland dominated the game but just couldn't create anything of enough quality, barring Matt Doherty's dancing run early in the second half which the keeper kept out.

Or so I was ready to type when Troy Parrott fired a fucking belter from 25 yards in the 7th minute of injury time.

No new African representation at a World Cup then. Mali were the only ones to make the playoffs, but they've drawn 0-0 in Tunisia after losing the first leg 1-0. Ghana and Morocco join Tunisia and Senegal, while Algeria and Cameroon have gone to extra time. Morocco beat DR Congo, who previously qualified as Zaire in 1974, and that's as good a reason as any to revisit the greatness of Mwepu Ilunga.

Ahmed Touba gives Algeria the lead in the 118th minute, then in the 124th, Karl Toko Ekambi equalises on the night to send Cameroon to the World Cup on away goals.

Elsewhere, the UAE beat South Korea 1-0 to confirm third place in their group and a neutral playoff against Australia. The winners of that will play the fifth place team from CONMEBOL, which is one of Peru, Colombia or Chile - that'll be decided in three hours' time. Tomorrow, Solomon Islands and New Zealand play in the OFC final, and the winners of that play CONCACAF's fourth place side, which will almost certainly be Costa Rica. 

Egypt have put in an official complaint now about the Senegal fans.  Are any of you Liverpool fans worried about how this could affect the team with Mane and Salah being on either side?  I know they seemed ok after the ACN but after seeing the clip of Salah trying to take his pen with all the green lasers in his face this feels like it could escalate.

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Egypt have put in an official complaint now about the Senegal fans.  Are any of you Liverpool fans worried about how this could affect the team with Mane and Salah being on either side?  I know they seemed ok after the ACN but after seeing the clip of Salah trying to take his pen with all the green lasers in his face this feels like it could escalate.

I read that the lasers were active for both sides, so it wasn't just the Egyptians that were affected. If that is true (I haven't seen it) then this is all a bit of a non-story. 

58 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I read that the lasers were active for both sides, so it wasn't just the Egyptians that were affected. If that is true (I haven't seen it) then this is all a bit of a non-story. 

Why would the Senagalese want to put off their own players?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12578212/sadio-mane-knocks-mohamed-salah-out-again shows Salah with the lasers and Mane without, at least.

23 minutes ago, milko said:

Why would the Senagalese want to put off their own players?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12578212/sadio-mane-knocks-mohamed-salah-out-again shows Salah with the lasers and Mane without, at least.

As I say, I didn't see it but it was in the BBC report after the match:

Neither Ciss nor Zico could score either and it seemed clear that the raft of laser pointers being directed at players from both sides - which had increased in intensity as the match drew to a close - were having an effect. 

14 hours ago, bradigor said:

Fuck me!

Let thjis just be the start aye. 

Must have been a lot of disappointed people in the crowd when they realised it wasn't the men's teams. :(

:rolleyes:

Was a joke based on a personal experience. Injoke I guess. My brother and I were at one of the men's Olympic football games and during the break between games the announcer was talking about the upcoming fixtures that were being held there and mentioned it was the women's games (USA vs France I think) and the wee guys in the seats in front of us hadn't realised that game wasn't also men's football and were pure raging and nearly greeting about it to their mum. :lol:  Though can definitely imagine a bunch of English lads on holiday showing up to the Barca game not realising it was womens football thinking they got a bargain on "proper" tickets. 

A lot is an old unit of weight used in many European countries since the Middle Ages until the beginning of the 20th century. Most often it was defined as either 1⁄30 or 1⁄32 of a pound (or more precisely of whatever mass value one local pound had at the time). Recorded values range from about 10 to 50 grams.

So yeah, guess they could. 

(I can be a pedantic cunt an all)